Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 08:47   #1

3196 Cat injector replace

Need to pull the injectors and attached control units off a Cat 3196 head and install them on a replacement head. Will appreciate any guidance. Pic of unit is on this blog ENGINES MARINE WORLD AND MORE: 3176C & 3196 MARINE ENGINES / Unit Injector Mechanism Thanks much PAUL
visailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 11:40   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: 3196 Cat injector replace

I believe it takes special Cat tooling to adjust the injectors on the 3100 series engines, check with your local Cat dealers service department.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:01   #3

I have heard special tools are involved.. say if you knw how to do without....no local cat dealer here..
Old 17-01-2016, 17:18   #4

I have not done this service on a 3100 series but know a mechanic who has. I will talk with him this week and post what I learn. My guess is I doubt it can be done successfully knowing what I know about doing similar work on other brands.

Old 18-01-2016, 05:17   #5

THANKS... I have an ask out to Rimco in Puerto Rico. The closest dealer. Will see what they say.
Old 18-01-2016, 07:55   #6

Boat: Ericson 27

One problem that you will run into is that once you have changed the injectors you will need to access the engine's ECM (electronic control module ) and configure the injectors. Electronic injectors have what's called a trim code and this needs to be flashed in the ECM. This is usually done by the dealer.
The injectors should come out once you have removed the retaining bolt that holds them down - you might have to pry them with a small heel bar. The injector bore needs to be cleaned and the seat - usually with special brushes. Can be done with fine scotch brite pads but needs a delicate touch. There are small diameter O ring seals on the injector that need to be changed too before the injector is re-installed.
Best bet is to find a Cat mechanic - either marine or heavy equipment to help you with this.
JohnAsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:06   #7

Thanks John. New head has threaded bore.. where injector lives. If it unscrews have to disconnect the control module from the injector or remove the valves.. waiting with baited breath for response from Puerto. Rico Cat guys...
Old 18-01-2016, 18:14   #8

Boat: Ericson 27

To replace the injectors is relatively simple if you have the valve set specs as you will need to remove the rocker arm and the bridges on the valves. I think you will also need to mark the bridges as I don't think they are marked for intake or exhaust. Once you have removed the rocker shaft and the bridges you will need to drain the fuel from the head. I don't recall where the plug is situated - I think its off to one end of a raised casting ( the main harness goes into the middle of the casting) on the side of the head. On top of the solenoid will be two small nuts in a plastic retainer with the two wires coming out from under the plastic retainer. Loosen the two nuts ( they should stay with the retainer) and lift the retainer off. Next to the spring for the injector will be a bolt usually with a spacer under it and a casting that goes around the injector just below the spring. If you remove the bolt, spacer and then the casting/hold down you should be able to gently pry the injector out. If you didn't manage to drain the fuel out of the head you will need to fit a small diameter plastic tube and suck the fuel out of the cylinder. You will definately need to change the O ring seals on the injector before you install them in the new head. Lube them with a bit of engine oil before installing.
As I mentioned you may need to flash the trim codes but a Cat mechanic should be able to help with that. I will be back at work on Thursday and could look up some specs for you then( if that would help with the valve set.)Hope this helps
John
JohnAsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 14:33   #9

Thanks guys

Popped them off by removing bolts on the retaining forks ( no no the real nomenclature) and prying them up with a little pry bar under the fork.. cudos to a guy Name of Bosco at Latitude 18 Marina St. Thomas.. o rings look flat so will replace them ...no no why six of em not in head gaskit kit. No no why the bore under where the o-rings seat is threaded... alternate apps or something to do with making/milling the head whatever..
Happy to transfer old assymbly to new head and hope is calibrations will be ok. Once the lash is right..

Had a t shirt said .. The lashings will continue until the attitudes improve .. not that...

Think i will pull obviously overheated piston sleeve and check o-rings.
Old 21-01-2016, 14:50   #10

FYI in case the problem may be in any way related to the cooler.
http://my.boatus.com/consumer/classaction.asp

Old 21-01-2016, 16:58   #11

the head is off and living in the cockpit on a made up rack.. new one is next to it moved the bridges one at a time to the new one except two from the # 5 cyl that went missing when six guys helped with getting em out of the engine room.. found em but cant tell which is which... and which way they point. Per what we got .. how they were previously set up..the small end of the bridges seem to point away from the electric control unit.... they mic up balanced so no no if it is a concern

Popped 3 pistons out not all so far and liners.(1 5 and six ).. will send liners to get milled as pitted.. have like 400 operatial hours on em (and a couple months of fool act letting coolant marinate the cylinders after head gasket failed... )

hey if had no complaints Id be challenged to bs at bars..
Old 21-01-2016, 17:16   #12

Popped out cylinders and liners with bottle jack and bits of 2x2 pine cut to fit.
Next is 3 and 4 cyl.... has oil strainer in the way.. held in by 4 bolts... off now but oil tube does not want to come off.. do not see (everything is black of course).. an alternate release for the oil tube... look like it may pull out but does not want to
Old 21-01-2016, 17:42   #13

Crawling out of the engine room drop shoes jump to dock to minimize black glop issues.. Dock hose shower ... girls parking up after day of swim sun and rum say "Bet we had more fun than you".. Well time to clean up quick and will look em up at Marina bar and talk about Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (maybe)
Old 22-01-2016, 11:25   #14

Still cannot get the oil pick up tube off
Old 25-01-2016, 17:39   #15

Off ok.. liners out except one will go at it manana. Thanks all for input.. Cpt. Paul