Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 23:16   #1

2YM15 Installed - Transmission "Whine" and Shaft Vibration ?

I just installed a 2YM15 and it's up and running. I had/am having some alignment issues, my stern tube doesn't seem to be lined up exactly right so the shaft was battering against the stern tubes when I first fired it up ... at any rate I believe I fixed that, seems to run fine now however I'm concerned about two things, hoping someone can give me some insight:

-In forward the transmission makes a "whine" noise (to me it sounds like a jet engine). I have no idea if this is normal, I posted a video of it on Youtube, hoping someone who knows these engines can tell me if it sounds ok:

-When the engine is running and the boat heels more than 15 degrees to starboard, the prop shaft hits and rattles against the fiberglass stern tube. Does this to port also but not as much. Is this a big problem? Should I look into fixing this with harder motor mounts?

Thanks
fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 00:56   #2

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
re: 2YM15 Installed - Transmission "whine" and shaft vibration ?

Hi, The propshaft should run true at all times and not strike the stern tube, if you continue to run the boat you will cause damage. Check out the engine and gearbox mountings are correctly sized and replace if required, disconnect the propshaft from the gearbox, check for 'play' in the shaft and if necessary slip the boat and replace the cutlass bearings.Grease the stern tube. Bolt the shaft to the gear box flange loosely, turn slowly by hand checking the clearance between the 2 flanges is the same every 90 degrees, if not 'shim' adjust the engine gearbox to be exactly in line with the shaft. Finally check all boats are tight, you should be able to turn the propshaft slowly by hand with no tight spots. Take a short test run, re grease the stern tube,recheck all bolts for tightness.
I hope this helps you.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 23:49   #3

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: 2YM15 Installed - Transmission "Whine" and Shaft Vibration ?

how was the engine you replaced mounted? Was it on flexible mounts or was it solid mounted?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 01:38   #4

The old engine (MD7A) was on flexible mounts but ... they weren't as flexible as the yanmar's. I can push on the top of the new engine and move it around quite a bit so I can imagine that as the boat heels over the engine falls a little to leeward and then the prop shaft strikes the stern tube. I had a look at how the prop shaft sat in the stern tube today and it's more or less centered in there with maybe 1/8" clearance on all sides, so it's not an alignment issue. Not sure what I can do about this except for change out the mounts for harder ones.
fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 03:24   #5

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hi Fishfinder, from the above post it's sounds very like the engine mountings are incorrect too old/too soft.
I would replace the engine/gearbox mountings and/or fit an Aquadrive thrust bearing made by a company called Halyard Marine.eu.com . They can also advise you on correct type of engine mountings. I would also check the cutlass bearings for wear to be sure your new engine transmission installation give you years of trouble free service. Having spent so much on the engine 'don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.
Hope this helps.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:27   #6

Before u go buying a bunch of gear u don't need or replace properly factory spec'ed engine mounts. You might want to determine...
1. That the installer didn't just toss in a larger shaft (that Yanmar should be 1") where a smaller one used to reside (7/8?). 1/8" is kinda tight.
2. Yanmar uses engine mounts with differing densities for front and back. Check the #'s molded into the rubber to determined if they were installed correctly.

OJ
STXCUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission