Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 10:39   #16

Boat: Hylas 49
Wotname is on target.

Squeeze bulbs are NOT ABYC approved for below deck (but they are convenient).
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 10:41   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: 2gm20f Not Running After Topping Fuel

i added a nice lil electric assist pump which made bleeding engine a breeze.. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 13:22   #18

Boat: Pearson 30 1971

Thanks all, especially Wotname for the amazingly detailed instruction which gives me a lot more insight and will try asap. Also thanks Bobconnie, and coincidentally I just also thought of that this morning as I was in the woods bowhunting for deer. I did fill up the primary before installing the new one but was just thinking I don't remember doing that for the secondary. Wotname, all of your points about the situation and me are correct, except this is not my first boat by any means but it is my first diesel (have done some work on outboards, including on a 23 foot Paceship daysailor and quite a bit on a V8 chevy in a Sea Ray). The primary filter canister on the bottom had gunk and i think a little water in it. I'm not sure I can correctly ID all of the bleed screws on the injectors and injector pumps (thought they would be the same) but I should be getting the secor manual pretty soon and that should help. Your post was great and I will print it out to refer to while on the boat. Thanks very much.
alex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 19:02   #19

Boat: Pearson 30 1971

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks to everyone on this forum that responded to me and helped out. I finally got the little handle on the pump to work just a bit more by moving the crank till I could feel it going a little lower and with some resistance. I had loosed the engine fuel filter and noticed fuel coming out of it, so after it looked like no bubbles (which it did from when I first noticed it)I went to the seond bleeder down to what looked like the injector pump (as per the photo on a detailed post on this thread-can't find now-but thanks much). There I did get air out and the tightened down. As per at least two or three commenters, on this and another site (sailnet), I decided to try starting it before going to the injectors, It started right off today, with a little extra help of encouragement with the starter. I ran it under load also and checked all fittings. Good as new!!
Thanks again. You guys are great!
alex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36   #20

Boat: 1982 Hunter 30 ft

If you remove the bleedscrew from the top of the engine filter, you should try using a vacuum pump, like the one you use for your oil change, to this opening to draw up the fuel. If nothing comes out remove the fuel input line to the fuel pump at the primary filter, if you have one. You should be able to pull fuel or air. This will confirm engine fuel line bind or not.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48   #21

Boat: 27ft sloop long keel

Hi,just been reading the case notes. With a diesel fuel system that goes wrong you have to be methodical. I know it may seem daft but allowing for the fact you have filled it up and it was running roughly you should start as follow's.
1: check that the fuel tank has fuel in it.
2: check that fuel is running from the tank too the first pipe union ie the hand/lift pump input. only when you have fuel at this point can u proceed to the next .
3:check the fuel is flowing through the lift pump and out off the exit port, you should remove the pipe union to see! There is usually a gauze filter in the top of the lift pump. this can often get blocked by foreign bodies and it usually has a small stud or threaded screw on top of the roof potion of the little devil. if you remove this carefully and clean the filter gauze you can refix it and proceed if fuel then flows.
4: The main filter/s. The main filter should be checked or replaced, making sure all seals are bedded in the grooves securely.the input fuel pipe should have fuel flowing into the filter freely when the hand/lift pump is operated. Again if the fuel don't flow go back one step. if it flows refix fuel line to filter housing and loosen bleed nut and pump until all air is expelled from the filter/s check then that fuel flows out and along the correct pipe to the injector pump! only then go to the next stage!
5:Loosen bleed screw on the injector pump. pump with hand/lift pump until all air bubbles are expelled. only then can u go on to next stage.
6:Bleeding the injector's. You do not remove the injector's or time them! You do slacken the injector pipe at the end that fit's onto the injector and using the safest mean's to turn the engine over watch for jets of fuel coming out of the pipe.Only when you see this tighten them up and then try and start the engine. on multi cylinder engines it is only usual too slacken two pipes to bleed the injector's, but on singles and twins it is better too hand crank with pipes off then proceed to start with the bled pipes fixed on again. If this fails to start the engine check that the STOP button or lever is in the RUN position. if this fails then start again and go through the system again. if after all that it does not start the injector pump/injector's may be at fault but I can refer to that if needed. Hope someone find's this usefull.
circumnavbute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50   #22

Boat: 27ft sloop long keel

Hooray!! if i read the post I might not have bothered but hey it's winter here and long dark night's glad you got it going
circumnavbute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, fuel