Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2006, 20:52   #1

24v fuel pump constant running

Hi,
I need a pump to pump diesel at around 60 gph,5 psi, to use as a fuel polishing pump and emergency pump in case the lift pump fails. Does anyone know of a pump that is constant running and also quiet.
Thanks John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 22:00   #2
GreatKetch

John,

If this pump will have a "net positive suction head" (which is engineer speak for being mounted below the bottom of the fuel tank) then a centrifical pump is likely to be the best bet. If it needs to be self priming, you have more of a challange to meet all of the requirements you post.

Bill
Old 19-09-2006, 02:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
This is about as close as I can get ya to something that may do the job. I don't know if aq 24V modle is available, but don't know why not, plus it will only deliver 45GPH. Is that enough??

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...roup?Ntt=Facet

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 03:43   #4

This is my choice in a 12v transfer pump. I can't see why you'ld need a 24v on a sailboat.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 09:45   #5
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
This is about as close as I can get ya to something that may do the job. I don't know if aq 24V modle is available, but don't know why not, plus it will only deliver 45GPH. Is that enough??

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...roup?Ntt=Facet
Those are useful pumps, I use one as a lift pump and a similar one to feed my diesel heater. They have lots going for them, but being quiet isn't one of them. When the engine is running the "tap-tap-tap" is not likely to be noticed, but if you use at other times you'll have some adjustment to the noise. If someone has a better idea for a really quiet pump to feed my heater at about about 0.05 gph (150mL/hr), 4 PSI max I'd love to hear a recommendation.

Another version of these pumps from Facet is the Posi-Flow. It is the series of pumps with an all black plastic body. I have found them rather unreliable. From the same manufacturer the "Gold-Flo" and "Cubed" pumps have given me good service.

Here is the data sheet from the manufacturer that lists the only 24 volt version of these types of pumps that I am aware of...

http://www.facet-purolator.com/mcl/m...lift_sheet.pdf

I have no personal experiance with this line of pumps.

And the main web page....
http://www.facet-purolator.com/mcl/p...ch_frmsrc.html

Hope this helps...

Bill
Old 19-09-2006, 14:21   #6

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Look for a Walbro 'transfer pump'. Available from specialty boat supply sources, e-catalogue sources, etc. Northern Tool used to carry them.

Why 24v instead of 12v .... more power, less amperage, smaller wire diameter, less line/resistance losses, smaller motors, more efficient, .... and on and on and on and on. A diesel engine could be half the size and weight for the same power output if diesel fuel had/contained twice the 'power' ... not quite but Im sure you get the idea.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 15:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richhh
Look for a Walbro 'transfer pump'. Available from specialty boat supply sources, e-catalogue sources, etc. Northern Tool used to carry them.

Why 24v instead of 12v .... more power, less amperage, smaller wire diameter, less line/resistance losses, smaller motors, more efficient, .... and on and on and on and on. A diesel engine could be half the size and weight for the same power output if diesel fuel had/contained twice the 'power' ... not quite but Im sure you get the idea.
Richhh,
I understand Ohm's Law implicitly. What I don't understand is why some one would want to go thru the hassle of building a 24v bank dedicated to a transfer pump. The problem would be crystal clear if it were a Euro boat, but the poster doesn't say where he/she is from.
Old 19-09-2006, 22:29   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah I had the same thought Pat. 24V is strange on a sailboat unless it is damn big.
But hey, you comment has caught my attention. Why the Euro boat comment??? Is this the norm for up there or something??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 02:56   #9

I'm not sure. It could be a big sportfish with 24v Cat's in it.
Old 20-09-2006, 08:53   #10

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.
The Facet Purolator 24v pumps look along the right lines, I will have to check how quiet they are.
The current pump is a gear pump that is really loud and is not for constant use.
The reason i want 24 volt is that the boat has a 12 volt engine and a 24v house system. The engine room has both 12 and 24v and it is just easier to hook up to the 24v side of things. The 12v side is dedicated to starting only. The boat is a 47ft aluminium cutter built in Europe and currently in Spain.

John
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2006, 08:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by john Fussell
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.
The Facet Purolator 24v pumps look along the right lines, I will have to check how quiet they are.
The current pump is a gear pump that is really loud and is not for constant use.
The reason i want 24 volt is that the boat has a 12 volt engine and a 24v house system. The engine room has both 12 and 24v and it is just easier to hook up to the 24v side of things. The 12v side is dedicated to starting only. The boat is a 47ft aluminium cutter built in Europe and currently in Spain.

John
Now the picture makes total sense. You should be able to find the Facet in the EU if needed. If not there are many suppliers here who can provide it.

Tags
fuel, fuel pump