Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 05:13   #1

Boat: 30ft Homemade Cabin Cruiser fg/w - Perkins 4-154 62hp
2002 Evenrude 9.9 Problem

I have a Evenrude 9.9 that is still in excellent shape and running condition, however everytime i use it, it starts like a champ but when i shut it of it doesn't want to start. It takes about 5-10 minutes for it too fire up again. Seems like there is lots of spark and gas. I changed out the impeller because i thought it might not be getting enough water and over heating but it is still the same. Don't know what to try next. Any ideas??????
dardurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:26   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: 2002 Evenrude 9.9 Problem

You need to start by isolating your problem. It can be one of 3 things. No air, no fuel, or no spark. Fuel problems are the most common with spark being in second, air is very rare to be the issue.

One easy thing to do to point us in a direction quickly would be to duplicate the condition and when it wont start spray a small amount of starting fluid down the intake and try starting it again. If it fires right up it is most likely a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn't fire then it is most likely a spark problem and we can guide you from there.

Just to be safe though and cover all bases make sure your choke isn't engaged partially.
Old 22-07-2014, 05:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Vapor lock?
Try this, can't hurt. Next time prior to trying to restart it, ensure the prime bulb is hard.
I am theorizing the gas in the carb may be evaporating due to heat, pumping the bulb should refill it if that is the case.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 05:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Vapor lock?
Try this, can't hurt. Next time prior to trying to restart it, ensure the prime bulb is hard.
I am theorizing the gas in the carb may be evaporating due to heat, pumping the bulb should refill it if that is the case.
+1

On that same note is your fuel tank vent open? Negative pressure in the tank could cause your issue.

Also like I said earlier check your choke, if partially closed it would start nicely when cold and can still run when hot but restarts can be hard.
Old 22-07-2014, 05:41   #5

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Next time it won't start pull the plug and look at it. if its wet = no spark or flooding or( unlikely in your case) bad fuel.With the plug out and making good contact with a ground( side of engine) see if you get a spark. Good spark = flooding no spark equals electrical. If it's dry you know you have a fuel delivery problem
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 11:26   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardurfr View Post
I have a Evenrude 9.9 that is still in excellent shape and running condition, however everytime i use it, it starts like a champ but when i shut it of it doesn't want to start. It takes about 5-10 minutes for it too fire up again. Seems like there is lots of spark and gas. I changed out the impeller because i thought it might not be getting enough water and over heating but it is still the same. Don't know what to try next. Any ideas??????
Please let us know what helps you get this sorted out. I had a lawnmower with a Honda engine do the same thing each time it ran out of gas. I'd fill it, get gas into the carb and the thing just would not start again for 10 to 15 minutes of down time. Could never figure it out.
Old 19-08-2014, 04:49   #7

Still haven't found out the problem but decided to solve it by replacing the engine. Thanks everyone for your help. If I do get it fixed I will post what the problem was. Again Thanks.
Old 19-08-2014, 05:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardurfr View Post
Still haven't found out the problem but decided to solve it by replacing the engine. Thanks everyone for your help. If I do get it fixed I will post what the problem was. Again Thanks.
Please tell me you aren't going to throw it away and that you are giving it to someone who might be able to use it/fix it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25   #9

I took the engine to a mechanic friend of mine to have a look at it and he said this was set up for a short shaft but was a long shaft. He said that it wasn't getting enough water to keep it properly cooled down. I bought it of a guy who must have made the mods to it to make it a long shaft. I think we solved the problem since i have replaced the long leg with a short one the engine runs like a champ, no starting issues and if you keep gas in the tank it would never stop. Now I got a perfectly good working engine that is no good to me has it is to short for a kicker on my boat and to short for my run-about. I guess i'll have to sell it and look for a long shaft. Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35   #10

That's a really interesting diagnosis. I never would have considered that as a possibility. Thank you for the update