Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2015, 10:23   #16

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Re: 2 tanks full with 6 years ol diesel

Clean the fuel by filtering and use it, it has been in the ground for millions of years it can stand 6 years in a tank as long as it hasn't got algae growing in it or such.

Old 30-05-2015, 12:09   #17

Boat: Scout 30

A lot of mis-information. Diesel fuel does not go bad like gas. No varnish. However, water from condensation can get into the tanks & algae can grow in the water. Fuel polishing companies simply pump your fuel through a 30 micron filter / water separator and that's all you need to do. You will need to install an electric pump before your filter but you should do that anyway. It's a good back up fuel pump & makes changing filters & bleeding the lines really easy.

Old 30-05-2015, 14:37   #18

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
A lot of mis-information. Diesel fuel does not go bad like gas. No varnish. However, water from condensation can get into the tanks & algae can grow in the water. Fuel polishing companies simply pump your fuel through a 30 micron filter / water separator and that's all you need to do. You will need to install an electric pump before your filter but you should do that anyway. It's a good back up fuel pump & makes changing filters & bleeding the lines really easy.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm well I know crude oil has been in the ground for millions of years but thats amazing to hear that refined diesel has been in the ground for just as long. I hope I can drill some right out of the ground and make some money with out the hassle of having to send it to one of those pesky refineries. (Can you sense the sarcasm yet?)

Diesel does go bad in as little as 30 days in the right conditions. Its cetane rating goes down and it begins to form a varnish which can clog fuel lines. It can be cleaned but its cetane rating does deminish. In a pinch I may use old FILTERED diesel but would rather use it in an oil burner/home heater rather then my boat engine
Old 30-05-2015, 15:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm well I know crude oil has been in the ground for millions of years but thats amazing to hear that refined diesel has been in the ground for just as long. I hope I can drill some right out of the ground and make some money with out the hassle of having to send it to one of those pesky refineries. (Can you sense the sarcasm yet?)

Diesel does go bad in as little as 30 days in the right conditions. Its cetane rating goes down and it begins to form a varnish which can clog fuel lines. It can be cleaned but its cetane rating does deminish. In a pinch I may use old FILTERED diesel but would rather use it in an oil burner/home heater rather then my boat engine
Another case of free advice being worth what it cost. I think you're confusing diesel with gas. Gas can go bad in 30 days. Gas form a varnish when it dries in a carburetor. If diesel went bad in 30 days a lot of us would be in real trouble. Here's the number of a professional. I simply repeated what he told me. Not sure where the diesel in the ground stuff came from.

WEST FLORIDA FUEL POLISHING
Jim Ross
727-421-2973
Old 30-05-2015, 15:25   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bearing in mind the Herr Professor Doktor Rudolph Diesel (did I get the name right?) designed his original engine to run on peanut oil and that petro-fuels are new-ish stuff compared to what they all started with?

A good old faithful smoke-belching earth-shaking incredibly overbuilt and heavy diesel engine is like a junkyard dog. It'll eat whatever it can get, and heaven help whoever gets in between it and the next meal.
Old 30-05-2015, 15:42   #21

6 years old? just use it.
Old 30-05-2015, 15:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bearing in mind the Herr Professor Doktor Rudolph Diesel (did I get the name right?) designed his original engine to run on peanut oil and that petro-fuels are new-ish stuff compared to what they all started with?

A good old faithful smoke-belching earth-shaking incredibly overbuilt and heavy diesel engine is like a junkyard dog. It'll eat whatever it can get, and heaven help whoever gets in between it and the next meal.
I second this opinion. I pumped out 100 gallons of old diesel and sold for half price to a farmer who used it after polishing in his equipent.
Old 30-05-2015, 16:25   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

If anyone has followed my threads, I was not able to use my boat for the last 7 years. It is now being repaired and upgraded. While in the yard I had the 20 gallons of fuel polished and the sludge vacuumed out. The yard then suggested adding new fuel. I have a 50 gallon tank and will be adding 12 gallons of new fuel to the existing 20 gallons of polished fuel.

Time and the mechanic will tell me if all is right.

I want to use my boat again and I will spare no effort or expense to do so.

Stay healthy so you don't end up in my boat shoes.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
Old 31-05-2015, 05:09   #24

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Two things:

We started after a 3-year workyard layup with no issues. Turn the key, push the button, Vroom.

But, we also added a fuel polisher in our initial refit. We had a MAJOR (see archives "I learned about sailing from that") wreck in which we were lifted and banged on a limestone shelf, being pushed 150' inland on a normally-dry-at-low-water location, and an estimated (wave period and storm duration) 3-5000 impacts.

Our tank was probably about half empty. We were reasonably sure that the tank had gotten a very thorough mixup and delamination of any grunge from the fiberglass walls.

So, we ran the fuel polisher long enough to clog the 30/10 micron-in-series filters (measured by vacuum), and changed them. On the way back to the same work yard we had left 36 hours before our wreck, we had only our staysail and a spinnaker; we did a LOT of rock and roll. So, we continued our polishing for the 5 or so days it took us to get back.

Changed the filters again, and, recently (that first was 8 years ago), did another change, "just because" - they were dirty, but no sludge in the bottom of the canisters.

I made my first Racor change at over 1000 hours from the wreck, and it wasn't really necessary - it turned out my issue of the time was a loose line letting in air.

So, make your own fuel polisher, if you have the sources over there for a Walbro pump and a couple of canisters in line. I got my stuff from McMaster-Carr, but that's a long way from Croatia.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 21:25   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Filter your fuel, clean your tank and add a cetane booster.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:35   #26

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The pump should always be after the filter/water separator. Otherwise the pump can emulsify the water and the diesel and the filter/water separator will not separate it out.

I personally would use the fuel after filtering but would check the bottom of the tanks to see if they need cleaning. You don't want sludge there come out suddenly in the most inopportune moment in a seaway and overwhelm your filters.

I think day tanks are a great idea.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
The pump should always be after the filter/water separator. Otherwise the pump can emulsify the water and the diesel and the filter/water separator will not separate it out.

I personally would use the fuel after filtering but would check the bottom of the tanks to see if they need cleaning. You don't want sludge there come out suddenly in the most inopportune moment in a seaway and overwhelm your filters.

I think day tanks are a great idea.
I think that's correct for a fuel polishing system. In my system I just plumbed a small fuel pump I bought at Napa after my y-valve but before my dual racors. I can leave it on all the time so it will turn over a tank eventually but it's not a polishing system which would be better. I installed it 15 years ago & no problems emulsifying but I can see how a big Walbro would be a different story. One advantage to having it before the filters is that it pressurizes the system so you can see if there are any leaks.

I recommend dual filters with a vacuum gauge plumbed so that you can change filters without having to shut down. The gauge warns you when they are loading up.

Tags
diesel, tanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: