Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 16:00   #1

Boat: Morgan 27
2 Stroke Outboard Storage

I just spent 4 hrs cleaning out my carb after only 6 weeks due to bad gas. Whats the best way to store a dingy motor that will help keep the gas from going south in the motor? I have heard unplugging the fuel line from the motor and letting the gas burn out helps is that true? Yes I can clean a carb but I can think of much better ways to spend 4 hrs.
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:13   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: 2 stroke outboard storage

Run it out of gas and always stabilize your fuel just in case. Cheap insurance
Opie91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Run it out of gas and always stabilize your fuel just in case. Cheap insurance
that's what I always did with 2strokes. 4strokes I pickle the engine with fuel stabilizer made for the purpose but don't run her dry like with 2strkes.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:17   #4

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

^^
+1

And try to use ethanol free gasoline.
Old 06-11-2013, 16:49   #5

Thanks I will start doing that. Have a great day and happy sailing
Old 06-11-2013, 17:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
If you run it dry, then there is nothing in the carb to gum anything up. I've had real good luck with the green (marine) version of Sta-Bil too, the red will work well, just have to use twice as much
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 17:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you run it dry, then there is nothing in the carb to gum anything up. I've had real good luck with the green (marine) version of Sta-Bil too, the red will work well, just have to use twice as much
I used to think that also but the truth is there is always a little left and when it dries out it leaves gum which over time causes problems. I just pickle them anymore and have never had an issue. Ethanol free gas if you can get it is always the best and leaves the least deposit but its not available in all states.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 18:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

I used to think that also but the truth is there is always a little left and when it dries out it leaves gum which over time causes problems. I just pickle them anymore and have never had an issue. Ethanol free gas if you can get it is always the best and leaves the least deposit but its not available in all states.
What do you mean by pickle it?
Old 06-11-2013, 18:36   #9

Boat: csy 37

my 2 strokes have built in gas tanks. i close the tank valve while the engine is running and let it run till it dies. then i close the choke and open the throttle and pull the starter rope a few times. you can still get a few seconds of running time out of it and then the carb is really dry.

i've also gotten into the habit of 'final filtering' the fuel as it goes in to the engine mounted tank through one of those filters they sell at west marine for about thirty bucks.

because i store my outboard fuel on deck i also add stabil to it.

having cleaned my carb and fuel pump too many times i finally got into this routine and didn't have a problem all summer....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Non-ethanol gas not available here...

I also use a siphon to drain the onboard (internal) tank if I anticipate not using the outboard again for more than about 3 weeks...

-Chris
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"Pickling" usually refers to Salvaging (Pickle) a Submerged (sunken) Engine:
BoatUS – Hurricane Center – "Pickling" Your Engine

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

There is no need to drain the fuel if you are using Stabil. With 2 strokes the oil you add to the fuel for some reason seems to break the gas down sooner then gas alone. If you use twice the recommended amount of Stabil in your Gerry can the gas will stay good for at least 1 year.

I've found draining the gas out of the bowl doesn't give you any benefits if you are using Stabil. For example I have a chainsaw I usually use only once a year for a couple of days to cut my years supply of wood, and I am lucky to use 1 full gallon of gas in one year. All I do after I am done with it is clean the chainsaw and spray the inside of the cylinder with fogging oil. All the gas has twice the recommended amount of stabil and never has an issue starting.

I discovered this the hard way especially with that saw after I first got it, when I let it sit untreated for 4 months then tried using it. I had to clean the carb out. Now having been using stabil in every can, I can let it sit for a year and it still starts.

I also do this with all my lawn equipment and my outboard.

P.S. I am not a spokesperson for Stabil I just really like their product.
Happy outboarding!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44   #13

Boat: Vagabond 42

I have a Yahama 15 hp 2-stroke. Our boat lives in St Martin and it is 6 to 8 weeks between trips. After every trip, I put the engine on the rail mount, hook up the flushing muff, hook up the fuel line to the separate gas tank, start the engine and then pull off the fuel connector hose and let the engine run until it runs out of gas. Been doing this procedure for 17+ years and it works like a champ. I have heard people say that if a 2-stroke runs out of gas then it is not getting any lubrication either but it has never been a issue for us at all! I don't use any stabilizer in my gasoline. (Diesel is another matter).
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I have a Yahama 15 hp 2-stroke. Our boat lives in St Martin and it is 6 to 8 weeks between trips. After every trip, I put the engine on the rail mount, hook up the flushing muff, hook up the fuel line to the separate gas tank, start the engine and then pull off the fuel connector hose and let the engine run until it runs out of gas. Been doing this procedure for 17+ years and it works like a champ. I have heard people say that if a 2-stroke runs out of gas then it is not getting any lubrication either but it has never been a issue for us at all! I don't use any stabilizer in my gasoline. (Diesel is another matter).
I don't doubt or disagree with what you stated at all. Obviously it works and it seems to work well. However by running Stabil in every tank you can save yourself the trouble of that whole procedure and just throw your engine on the rail and be done with it. I know it may not take you too long to do what you are doing but it would be one less step.

Just sayin
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post

I don't doubt or disagree with what you stated at all. Obviously it works and it seems to work well. However by running Stabil in every tank you can save yourself the trouble of that whole procedure and just throw your engine on the rail and be done with it. I know it may not take you too long to do what you are doing but it would be one less step.

Just sayin
Do you actual use twice the recommended amount? I never thought to use staybil with a 2 stroke because of the oil/gas mix, but well worth a try. I think the combination of letting the fuel burn out and the use of staybil will be a win win for me. As a man said an once of prevention equals a pound of cure. I would do anything to keep from having to clean out the carb again.

Tags
2 stroke, outboard, storage