Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 17:46   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
2-cycle in the diesel

I am replacing the lift and main distributed HP pump on our 35-year-old Westerbeke 6-cyl. A Coworker visiting from the UK said he would happily transport my old pump (Lucas) in his luggage for the exchange & bring the re-built one back. Saves me about 150 bucks He mentioned they routinely put some quantity of 2-stroke oil in their diesel since the conversion to low sulfur fuels. He claimes the engine is quieter and 'everyone knows' it improves the lubrication. I am thinking it can't possibly hurt. Has anyone else run into this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REBUILT PUMP.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	92047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9219.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	92048  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03749 ex.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	92049  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 18:04   #2

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: 2-cycle in the diesel

Although not 2 cycle oil, I have heard of automatic transmission fluid being added to fuel in the Big Rig Truck fuel. They say it helps lubricate the pump and injectors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 18:08   #3

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

That is a Lucas CAV injection pumpand most any injection service in the USA could rebuild it.

With regard to 2 stroke oil... I have added "Marvel Mystery oil " to the fuel of long dormant engines. Always wondered if it helped.....

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 21:13   #4

If you Google the subject there is a days reading on the subject. Any reco fuel pump should now come with low sulphur compatable seal rings ete.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:21   #5

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

As far as putting ATF (transmission fluid) in the engine. We use to put this in the engine instead of oil with rebuilt VW engines back in the day to seat the rings quicker. We would never leave it in longer than about 50 miles though. The reason we used it was that it was more abrasive than engine oil. I don't think it would be a good idea to put it in any engine as a steady diet. I would stick with the 2 stroke
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:26   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

ATF is put into Diesel fuel for it's high detergent content, it's the old school way to clean injectors. There are better additives, like sea foam now.
ULSD has low lubricity (yes that is actually a word ) there are several much better fuel additives to increase the lubricity for Diesel fuel, bet you can even find a biocide that does, but two stroke oil does little to increase lubricity.

It's the common rail engines that benefit most and need the lubricity due to their extremely high fuel pressures.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 08:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

If you can find it, the best thing is Bio-Diesel, notice several additives actually made the problem worse.
Old 21-11-2014, 10:54   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

There is someone, somewhere who puts just about anything into diesel fuel with the intention of "improving" it. If it needed improving, the fuel companies would improve it or the engine manufacturers would specify additives. Some folks have been known to add gasoline to diesel fuel for some reason.

If the engine manufacturer doesn't recommend it it's probably not a good idea. Some things can hurt the engine.

I watched a slip neighbor the other day dumping a couple containers of "dry gas" into his boat's (gasoline) fuel tank. I guess he doesn't know that these products are nothing more than alcohol and he is paying extra to get non-alcohol fuel.
Old 21-11-2014, 11:00   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gasoline in Diesel is for lowering the wax point. In cold weather wax will actually precipitate out of Diesel and clog the filter. VW in their owners manual used to state up to 10% gasoline was allowable, but it was not recommended.

That was for the old #2 Diesel, #1 of course was kerosene and winter grade Diesel.
Is there a winter ULSD?
Old 21-11-2014, 13:09   #10

A littel two stroke doesn't hurt anything. I used diesal one (tug boat diesel 3000 hp engines) in my old petters plenty of sulfur works well
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28   #11

bit off topic but adding acetone should reduce surface tension. less fuel clings to surfaces in combustion chamber and helps burn fuel more completely.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 15:34   #12

Boat: CS36T

Nicholson58, those pumps are available here at approx 35us dollars plus shipping at approx 14usd see link.
Fuel Lift Pump
Old 04-12-2014, 16:46   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Cruiser View Post
Nicholson58, those pumps are available here at approx 35us dollars plus shipping at approx 14usd see link.
Fuel Lift Pump
Thanks. That's about par. I found a new one + rebuild kit for 45 £ and my shipping is covered from England. My rebuild of the main Lucas pump was 200 £ also shipping covered. The rebuilder found the primary boost pump failed with dirt incursion. Thorough cleaning in the spring for all other parts too, including the HP tubing and hoses. I will seriously consider a polishing loop.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel