Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 15:33   #1

Boat: Hunter, 376, 37.5 ft
1999 or 98 Yanmar diesel Model 3JH2E has bluish and white exhaust

My Yanmar 1999 or 98 Diesel, model no. 3JH2E, 36 HP, 3 cylinder has bluish white exhaust. The hour meter reads 373 hours. (so it saids for a 20 year old Yanmar). Engine does look clean. No leaks and no major residue.

The engines starts up with no problems. And runs good. All though I’m a newbie with diesels and boats. I bought my 1999 Hunter 376 sailboat two years ago.

1) Understand maybe diesel fuel less than 45 cetane can be a source of bluish white exhaust.
2) I did accidental top my oil level above the full dip stick line about a 1/2 inch. Maybe that’s a source.
3) I added maybe more than 2 OZ. of Starbrite “Star Tron” Enzyme diesel treatment to my 30 gallon tank. Maybe that’s a source. ( I only filled the tank twice about 10 gallons each time in 2 years since owning the boat).

I don’t remember seeing bluish white exhaust before I did items 1,2,3 above. I only been out on the water 5 times in 2 years since owning the boat.

Now I believe it’s bluish white exhaust. I will check it again to make sure it’s not just white exhaust.

Is there any other reason or cause for white or bluish white exhaust?

Thanks all,
FriscoRon
friscoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 16:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 1999 or 98 Yanmar diesel Model 3JH2E has bluish and white exhaust

Too much oil can definitely cause you to burn the excess and that can give you a stinky blueish exhaust, smells like oil of course.

However after you return the oil to the correct level, I’d have the injectors removed and tested / cleaned, cause dirty injectors can also cause it.
Finally many Yanmars are just smoky engines, even in perfect running condition, they just are Smokey, but clean the injectors unless you know for sure when they were last done.
Besides the cleaning, they may need the shim stack adjusted, over 20 years I’d be surprised if the Springs didn’t lose a little tension.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 21:56   #3

Thanks A64pilot. I will drain excess oil and check out injectors cleaned to be cleaned.
Old 23-05-2018, 20:44   #4

I changed my oil and oil filter. And oil level is just below high mark line on the stick.. However I'm still getting what I believe is white smoke from exhaust when I ref the rpm up to 1500.

Also I noticed I'm getting a slight oil sheen on the water near the exhaust. I will have to determine if it's diesel or oil.

Appears I may have another problem. Or Maybe it's part of the same problem. My raw water hose outlet keeps popping off my heat exchanger. This is also happened when I was out in the water 2 weeks ago. I replaced with new Stainless Steel hose clamps. But it keeps popping off.

I'm wondering if the exhaust mixing elbow is clogged. I heard you have to clean them. Even though I'm a newbie. It appears the raw water exhaust is spitting out the back of the boat on higher rpm's.

Can this be back pressure from a clogged mixing elbow causing hose to pop off the heat exchanger outlet. And how do I test for clogged mixing elbow? Appears the elbow is threaded on a rusty 1 1/2"- 2" nipple before it connects to the flex exhaust pipe. LOL.

Attached is pictures of my heat exchanger hose, mixing elbow, and my 1998 371 hour Yanmar 3JH2E engine.

I will also post video of white exhaust and oil sheen behind the boat tomorrow when the sun is out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front of engine.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	170419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat exchanger, exhaust diagram.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	170420  

Name:	hose keeps popping off.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	170421   Click image for larger version

Name:	mixing elbow.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	170422  

Name:	mixing elbow2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	170423   Click image for larger version

Name:	top rear of engine.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	170424  

Old 24-05-2018, 03:02   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscoron View Post
I changed my oil and oil filter. And oil level is just below high mark line on the stick.. However I'm still getting what I believe is white smoke from exhaust when I ref the rpm up to 1500.

Also I noticed I'm getting a slight oil sheen on the water near the exhaust. I will have to determine if it's diesel or oil.

Appears I may have another problem. Or Maybe it's part of the same problem. My raw water hose outlet keeps popping off my heat exchanger. This is also happened when I was out in the water 2 weeks ago. I replaced with new Stainless Steel hose clamps. But it keeps popping off.

I'm wondering if the exhaust mixing elbow is clogged. I heard you have to clean them. Even though I'm a newbie. It appears the raw water exhaust is spitting out the back of the boat on higher rpm's.

Can this be back pressure from a clogged mixing elbow causing hose to pop off the heat exchanger outlet. And how do I test for clogged mixing elbow? Appears the elbow is threaded on a rusty 1 1/2"- 2" nipple before it connects to the flex exhaust pipe. LOL.

Attached is pictures of my heat exchanger hose, mixing elbow, and my 1998 371 hour Yanmar 3JH2E engine.

I will also post video of white exhaust and oil sheen behind the boat tomorrow when the sun is out.
It is possible a clogged exhaust / mixing elbow is the cause of some (all?) of your problems. It is easy enough to check; unbolt the exhaust flange (4 nuts), remove raw water hose from elbow, remove flexible exhaust form elbow and then have a good look inside the inlet and outlet of elbow/nipple/flange as well as the water inlet of the elbow. Any significant blockage should be obvious.

If it hasn't been apart for some time, it might take some elbow grease to get it apart (pun intended ). You may or may not need a new exhaust flange gasket.

Checking for a clogged elbow should be a maintenance item IMO - say every few hundred hours.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 04:23   #6

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

If your popping the hose off, for sure, especially with the type of mixing elbow you’ve got, clean or replace it.

Regarding smoke when revving the engine. If your increasing the throttle in neutral, there is no load on the engine. Without a load, the combustion temperatures will be low. Therefore combustion will be incomplete.

Try this. Either tied to the dock, with extra lines and fenders, put the engine in gear and give it hell. You should run 2000 ish rpm for a while, being the engine up to full operating temperature. Watch the exhaust. I’d be willing to bet after 30 minutes to an hour it clears up considerably. Also add fresh fuel to the tank, and finally use the boat more than 2.5 times a year!

Every time you use it, run the engine hard. If you’re loafing along from the slip to go sailing you’re abusing the engine in a worse way than running it at 80% power all the time.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:58   #7

Thanks,
Wotname. I will check out that mixing elbow. Question? What usually clogs mixing elbow? Is it rust or barnacles?

Thanks Sailmonkey,
I'm hearing that all the time. Use that engine under a load more often. I just recently retired. So I will get out in the water more often instead of using boat as an apartment. LOL. And I will try her under load at the dock.
Old 24-05-2018, 12:36   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

The mixing elbow will corrode to blockage. It’s cast iron and is being hit with hot salty water and diesel exhaust. The age of the engine suggests it’s just time to replace the mixer.

I would buy a new one, put it on the engine and clean up the old. Keep it if it’s ok, scrap it otherwise
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:02   #9

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

From http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-103029.html

wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:01   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

In my opinion cleaning out and trying to salvage an old mixing elbow may be a fools errand.
Often they corrode and open up a passage to the inside of the elbow, allowing water to drain back into the exhaust of the engine and causing corrosion to the engine and seizing it requiring a complete overhaul.
If you have an old cast iron or aluminum mixing elbow and don’t know it’s age, replace it. It is an expendable item.
However there are a few Yanmar mixing elbows that are box shaped and made of either Bronze or Cupronickel, I have heard both, but apparently these elbows can last the life of the engine. They are box shaped, not an inverted U
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 00:15   #11

I'm sold after seeing that pic of corroded elbow. Taken off old one tomorrow. And will get the kit with new U shaped elbow, Nipple, gasket, the works. I would get that square shaped elbow. But heard it fits a 3" exhaust pipe. I believe I have a 2 1/2" exhaust pipe.

Thanks all.
Old 25-05-2018, 01:51   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

At 20 years old, probably a good choice. In case you didn't know, the 'rusty 1.5" - 2" nipple' is L/H thread on one side, R/H on the other, so, if you're lucky and it's not frozen solid, you can just turn it to remove the elbow; i.e. there may be no need to remove the manifold flange...

Regarding hose popping off, it appears you have a wire reinforced hose there. With that short a nipple to clamp to, and that small a hose, a single clamp is going to have trouble getting enough 'bite', and if enough pressure is built up by a clogged elbow... if you still have problems after fixing the elbow, replace the hose with a non-wire reinforced one.

I'm with Sailmonkey about running it hard before taking anything else apart to search for smoke causes. If the engine starts quickly, accelerates smoothly and to full rpm and power, attempting to disassemble an engine not disassembled in 20 years can be an exercise in frustration; it may prove necessary but, depending on your plans, it may be better put off till it really is necessary...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 03:24   #13

Thanks Jim,
I plan on saving the manifold Hopefully. I understand that is a Right/Left Nipple. I'll take manifold off with elbow. And then wrench the nipple and old Elbow off on a vice using plenty of WD 40 or what ever.

I found a website somebody shared from sailboaters.com at https://hdimarine.net/ to get a Stainless Steel Elbow and R/L nipple for $180 with shipping.

Hopefully the heat exchanger outlet hose will not pop off after replacing clogged elbow. Otherwise I will get the one you suggested.

Will see if I get white smoke or steam from exhaust after this repair. One thing I don't get is Black smoke. And maybe I will find out what the oil or diesel sheen in the water at the stern exhaust still exist.
Old 25-05-2018, 21:05   #14

I have taken off my mixer elbow, exhaust manifold. Looks like elbow is definitely clogged. Looks like I'm getting my parts from https://hdimarine.net/ out of Washington state. A fellow member from sailboatowners.com told me about this site. Thanks Charles.
Old 26-05-2018, 13:33   #15

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Several years ago after replacing the partially plugged exhaust elbow on my Yanmar 3HM35F, I set the engine speed to 2000 rpm and held a bucket under the exhaust outlet catching the water for 10 seconds. There is a note on the fly page of my log that reads, "2.5 qt/10 sec @ 2000 rpm". It has been a handy thing to know when the engine seems to run warmer than usual or develops raw water leaks.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, model, yanmar