Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 22:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
1989 Perkins Prima M50 diesel filter micron size (or similar same era engine) please?

Does anyone know what the secondary fuel filter micron size is exactly on a 1989 Perkins Prima M50?

I asked the local Perkins dealer about my secondary diesel filter, Perkins part # 26569051 (the last one from tank to engine, mounted on the engine side, just before the high pressure diesel pump):

"What micron size filter is recommended for my engine? I cant find the micron recommendation from my Perkins manuals."
The reply was: "Sorry to inform that Perkins reply it is a proprietary information cannot be provided."
So, Perkins won't tell me what the Secondary fuel filter micron size is.

Anyone has better information about this? I believe newer marine diesels with "Common Rail" injection have a far smaller final filter, maybe something in the range of 5-7 micron, than my quarter century old engine.

Also I believe newer Yanmars are about in this range.

But how about older engines like my Perkins? I don't think it can be a "Common Rail" as my understanding is CR is later technology. And I have this idea that older engines like mine use a larger micron size secondary filter than the newer ones.

Thanks,
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 08:24   #2

Re: 1989 Perkins Prima M50 diesel filter micron size (or similar same era engine) ple

Anybody? Please..?
I'm trying to decide which size Primary filters to order but I would prefer to know the size of my Perkins Secondary filter first..
Surely someone has an idea..?
Erik
Old 13-07-2013, 09:46   #3

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta
Re: 1989 Perkins Prima M50 diesel filter micron size (or similar same era engine) ple

Eric,
I use a 10 micron filter as my primary and secondary filter. I have a 1998 Yanmar 3GM30. Some people use a larger micron (30) sized filter for their primary and smaller micron (10) for their secondary. I use the same on my primary because it is difficult to get to my secondary which is mounted on the engine. I change the primary three times for every one secondary.
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 03:11   #4

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

I have a Perkins 4-107 circa 1974(?) and here is my filters in the order the fuel passes through:

-10 micron particulate
-2 micron Racor fuel/water separator
-2 micron (original) perkins filter on the engine itself.

And are you ever rght about the un-helpflness of Perkins dealers. Here in Southern Ontario Canada they go out of their way NOT to give one iota of information out.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 03:48   #5

The Perkins Prima M50 engine is also known as a Volvo MD22.

You might have more luck searching for the equivalent Volvo part ... I have the same engine in Volvo Green, but it is abouts a thousand kilometers away, and so a little difficult to check for you.

So ... perhaps ask your local volvo guy? or ask for a off-brand compatible?
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 09:47   #6

Thanks for your replies guys.
Allan, are you sure your original Perkins secondary diesel filter on engine is 2 micron?
I would have thought they are somewhere in the 10 range or even coarser on these older engines?
I'm trying to decide what size to get for my primary filters (10 or 30) and for this I would like to know what size my secondary Perkins filter is...
Old 14-07-2013, 14:37   #7

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S

Yup, 2 micron, stamped right on the disposable element. I made double damn sure I put in what I took out. The P.O. took it up and down the ICW a couple of time to sail out of Florida for some time.....let you know how it works out next week after we spach and motor and/or sail for 5 hours to our berth...
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 07:27   #8

Thanks Allan,
I googled "Perkins 26569051" and found a Baldwin equivalent which appears to have a 5 micron media
so I think I can now presume with a reasonable confidence that my original Perkins engine fuel filter is also 5 micron. It seems to be pretty difficult to find detailed information about the replacement filters with regards to micron size.
Without better knowledge (info from Perkins) I will use this bit of information in deciding my primary fuel filter micron size.
Thanks everyone for your kind help
Erik
Old 17-07-2013, 07:35   #9

ErikFinn I have and Md22 L the secondary filter on the motor Ei: Volvo is a 2 micron (the primary is a 10 micron, but this is a Racor unit mounted on the bulkhead!!!)
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 07:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
ErikFinn I have and Md22 L the secondary filter on the motor Ei: Volvo is a 2 micron (the primary is a 10 micron, but this is a Racor unit mounted on the bulkhead!!!)
Thanks Mike, I understand the Volvo MD22 is the same engine as Perkins Prima M50?

Is your engine mounted secondary fuel filter a Volvo original? And specs say its a 2 micron?

Erik
Old 17-07-2013, 09:17   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The standard perkins filter is 10 micron ( actually speced as 99% efficient at 11 micron)

dave
Old 17-07-2013, 11:59   #12

Yes it is! Also note that on the new filters from Volvo the threaded part is depressed so you only can get a thread or 2 of connection. When I went to Volvo in Portland Maine they told me those were the only replacements. Also there was no newer style mount with a longer threaded nipple. The only alternative seems to be a whole new after market assembly!!!!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 00:34   #13

I have a 4236 Perkins 84 hp and want to upgrade my water separation fuel system.
Will the following work:
Between the diesel tank and the first filter a GRIFFIN / G900DM-MA dual filter assembly, will be an ALGAE-X Fuel Conditioner.
Question: Should there also be a Walboro 60 GPH Fuel Pump before this first filter ?
Where would the Bleed pump go ?
EXPERIENCED HELP, would be appreciated.
Thank you
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 00:55   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Jeff, I will start by saying I cam not a chemist but putting a magnet in the fuel supply line will do nothing to alter the diesel fuel and you would just be wasting $200, it's snake oil technology. Instead if you are starting with clean tanks and good fuel just dose the fuel with one of the many bio products to stop anything growing in the water fuel interface. Next keep the tank full to stop condensation forming water in the tank and make sure the fuel filler has a good o ring seal.

The Griffin looks better but again comes with a serious price tag. Why not just fit a single water separator element?

Not sure you will need an additional fuel pump why can't the engine driven pump pull through a pre and then engine fuel filter which is what most boats do.

The bleed pump will be a lever on the engine fuel pump, but they are hard work and you need to ensure the engine is "off the cam" or you will be tickling the lever for hours to no effect. Interestingly Peugeot cars in Europe fit a little outboard fuel tank bulb to help bleed the fuel lines. Fitting one of these would make bleeding the fuel supply line so much easier.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, perkins, size