Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-02-2009, 09:36   #16
Senior Cruiser

Hah .. looks like posting is fast and furious! You may also want to check that your fuel lines to the pump are clear! Having been there and done that ... I had a PARTIAL blockage in one of my fuel lines, along with a small leak. Soooo ... I could get it to prime, but when it came time to really pump some fuel, no joy!

Sooooo ... got one of those electrical / battery operated air pumps? Go backwards from the fuel pump ... listen to see if 1) hear the bubbling in the fuel tank, and 2) hear air escaping.

I'm SO glad I'm not going thru this again. Sorry.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I didn't see the 2 micron primary....way too fine....if that is clogged, you will draw air in thru the filter gaskets......those fine chapagne like bubbles do accumulate.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have had a situation where if you dont fill the racor full up after servicing it, the engine wont start, did you manually fil lit right up?
Old 08-02-2009, 18:30   #19

Boat: 1970 Morgan 40
Send a message via AIM to cmesiam
Cheechako,

When you ask if I manually fill it up? Do you mean fill it up then screw it on? I screwed it on empty. Then what I did was use the engine manual fuel pump to fill it. It has a clear plastic 'cup' on the bottom and I watched it fill. I really dont think that was the problem. I seem to be getting fuel to the Injector pump - that's where I have the problem. Fuel is not coming out of the injector lines. It's coming out of the low pressure and return line OK.
Please keep sending me your ideas, they are very helpful!
Old 08-02-2009, 18:37   #20

S/V Elusive,

Now
Old 08-02-2009, 18:39   #21

S/V Elusive, Now you 're talking! That sounds like a good idea. If there is a blockage, it might even dislodge?!? What do you think?
Old 08-02-2009, 18:43   #22

Hey Chief Engineer, Looked at your post about the tiny bubbles. That makes sense. Have you ever thought about suing some lind of grease on the gaskets to make a better seal?

Also, do you know of a 'sealant' that I could use if I do break open the fuel tank(when I put it back together)? Seems like there is some kind of sealant on there now. Or is it just pipe joint compound?

I really appreciate you help.

Bruce
Old 08-02-2009, 20:03   #23

Boat: 26ft Navy Whaleboat
If your motor was running ok before you changed out the filters it should start & run ok after IF you get ALL the air out in the bleeding process. Possible problems: 1) filters not sealed properly. 2) bleeding procedure not done properly. If done properly it is a fairly easy procedure if not it is impossible to start the motor. I would advise against doing anything else until you are sure you are doing the basics correctly. You've said you think you have the air bled up to the injection pump but can't get fuel to the injectors. What makes you think so? Does fuel stream from the bleed screw on the side of the injection pump when you pump the lever on the fuel pump? If yes close the bleed screw, open a fuel line at the injector & crank with the starter. It should start in 5 to 10 seconds. If not do it again from the beginning. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2009, 20:29   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Not trying to belabor the point. When you filled the racor was the fuel almost to the top?

Or were you trying to fill the racor via the lift pump with the racor closed up.

If that is the case, you have got a big slug of air in the primary filter.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52   #25

Cheng & Capt G,

Ok I understand that there could be air trapped in the RACOR. I'll check again. I did use the manual hand pump to fill it. I'll remove and fill with Fuel.

Maybe
Old 09-02-2009, 04:53   #26

I wont get to the boat for a couple of weeks. I'll let you all know. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20   #27

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
If I had that tree weeks of my life back

I have a Perkins 4-154 in a CSY sailboat. When I purchased it I changed the fuel filters (they were both like the bottom of a swamp). When I was doing this I noticed that the check ball valve in the big racor had come and was floating in the bowl so I put it where it belonged (bad idea). I tried to prime the engine and was getting fuel to the points on the engine where it needed to be but the engine would not start.

What had happened - the $^##**@ Racor was put on backwards so the check valve was working as it should and stopping the fuel flow to the engine. To make matters worse the check valve in the 2 micron filter was checked shut. The Racor was in a bad position so I could not see the flow arrows. The only way I found it was to cut the fuel line where it went into the engine - tada no fuel.

I was told apparently some fuel filters with internal check valves do go bad right out of the box. I ended up replumbing my fuel line and putting in an electric fuel pump to prime the engine - THAT WAS A GREAT DECISION!!!!!

Now for extra credit - Why was the fuel comming out of the bleed points if it was not getting to the engine in the fist place. I thought "My boat is making diesel. The world energy problem is solved - yea.

What was happing is the top of my tanks are higher than the engine. I had filled the tanks to the top and I was getting fuel through the return fuel line. It would flow (backwards) into the engine. My 76 year old dad had to come down and help me figure this one out. Perhaps they are right that experience counts. I have always believed that experience is what you get @ 20 seconds after you need it.

;-)
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19   #28

I Have somewhere in my computer a reprint of bleeding the fuel system on a 4.108. If you are completely confused and want them let me know. Send your email address and I will foreward as an attachment. Bob Tigar
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, I would manually fill the racor every time after I learded my less (And it was a Perkins 4-108 in that boat!). The glass would appear to be full, but the top half was not. My theory was that the side of the filter trying to suck from the tank was part air, therefore a good flow could not be established.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:35   #30

Hey Roberttigar,

Please send that diagram of the bleeding plan. It couold only help. I appreciate it. Email me at bruce.g.hansen@us.army.mil. (I'm in the Navy at Fort Bragg).

Peterroach,

Great information. I will check my Racor again (have many parts mailed to house this week and intend to rebuild/build fuel polishing system). I'll take it off and look again. thanks, good insight.

B

Tags
fuel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: