Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 16:50   #1

Boat: Wright 40 - 1977 build, ketch, 12 mts
15hp Yamaha copy, no sparks

Hi I have a Maxus 15hp 2 stroke outboard, which is a Yamaha copy essentially. So it cut out whilst running yesterday for seemingly no apparent reason, have checked carb and it has fuel, but when checking the spark plugs it has no spark!
As I said it had been running then just died. I found that the kill cord switch was a bit rusted up, so I cleaned it all, but still no spark.
I am in a remot island of Malaysia, and although a live aboard do not have any hope of compression testing or technical stuff like that.
Is there a way to check that my spark plugs are ok? Is there a way to get them working if they are not, as the ones I need are not available on the island!
A friend tried shorting the kill cord switch, but no avail.
Thanks
Gillie
S Y Tuppenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 16:54   #2

Boat: Santana2023
Re: 15hp Yamaha copy, no sparks

Hold the plug to a good ground or use a screwdriver and pull the cord to crank it over. You should see the spark arc if you're getting any. Beside that, check the kill switch wiring and if it's not that it could be the ignition module which is what happened with my 8hp 2 stroke that forced me to buy a new one. Mine was the same issue you describe. Chugging along fine, got to the slip and was idling then it died.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:11   #3
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: 15hp Yamaha copy, no sparks

Try disconnecting the white wire to the kill switch. If still not spark on either plug you probably have a duff CDI or pulser coil.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote