Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 20:03   #1

Boat: mapel leaf 54
15 hp Yamaha new problem

HELP! My 15 hp 2 cycleYamaha outboard is beating me up. AGAIN!!
When I idle it for 5 min+ (the time into the dingy dock and back out)Then when I boot it ,it sputters and coughs and finally catches and goes like jack the rabbit but if I have an extra person or 2 then no way will it pick up reves it used to no prob. it is as if it is running way too rich but there are no adjustments for that. I replaced the fuel pump diapraham, filter, plugsand cleaned the carb. 5 times etc. It is like way too much fuel or like someone put a potato in the exhaust but that seems all good.
Any ideas
Warren
warren nygaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 22:08   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: 15 hp Yamaha new problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren nygaard View Post
----
When I idle it for 5 min+ (the time into the dingy dock and back out)Then when I boot it ,it sputters and coughs and finally catches and goes like jack the rabbit but if I have an extra person or 2 then no way will it pick up reves it used to no prob. it is as if it is running way too rich but there are no adjustments for that. ----
Actually, there are lots of adjustments for that, main jets, idle jets, idle screw, needle height, needle shape, slide shape, float height, etc. etc., never mind.
When you say you have cleaned the carb have you manually cleaned the jets? That would be my best guess. Otherwise, is the float at the correct height? If it was me and I was convinced everything was perfect fuel mixture wise I would go one range hotter on the spark plug but I do NOT recommend that to anyone who does not understand that the wrong heat range can destroy your engine.
Of course you could always run it WFO for a minute or two before going into the dinghy dock.
Old 22-12-2012, 22:41   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: 15 hp Yamaha new problem

What FSMike said is right !! Welcome to the Alcohol age!! The best thing ya can do is shut down the fuel and run her dry !! that my save ya haveing to clean the darn carb almost everytime ya run it !! We are lucky down here as we have many stations which sell no alky gas !! and advertise it!! Makes a much cleaner running 2 cycle for sure