Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2007, 22:52   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Pet Peeve (just venting)

If you decide to put your dog on a lead...do it with a 6 foot or so SOLID leash.

As a yacht mechanic, I have been tripped more than once by those retractable leashes. Sometimes it seems that people are trolling with their dogs.

BTW I own a mutt that is part blond Lab and somethin small...gottem from "doggie death row" at the pound.....His coat is tight like a wire-haired terrier...or so the vet sez.....loves to retrieve

But PUH-LEEZE when you are coming up the pier---keep it short---let'em run when you get to the open areas
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 14:07   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good point, Chief . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer
If you decide to put your dog on a lead...do it with a 6 foot or so SOLID leash.
In California, at least, a dog out in public must be kept on a solid leash not longer than six feet to legally be considered under the control of the owner. And, if you have your dog on one of those "retractable" leashes and he bites someone, in the eyes of the law your dog was "not on a leash," even if its owner maintains that at the time of the incident the leash was fully retracted.

In our highly litigious society, I'm sure I don't need to point out the heavy liability associated with having your pet bite someone. And if it happens when your dog is off-leash, you have no defense. For the poor dog, this is often a capital crime, and he pays with his life for his owner's irresponsibility.

I know a lawyer who, when he got a new dog, first trained it to wear a muzzle before he took it out in public. This was in addition to the leash of six feet or less. It's kind of a "belt and suspenders" approach, I suppose, but I know he can cite numerous legal cases proving the wisdom of doing it that way.

To me, it is truly pathetic to see someone trying to "reel in" a dog who's been allowed to pull the leash out 15-20 feet. The dog may as well be completely disconnected from its owner, for all the control he has of his pet.

TaoJones
Old 30-09-2007, 16:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Too bad there are not land sharks for those who use their dogs for trolling.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 19:02   #4

I solve this problem by almost never leashing my dogs. Just got back from cruising to Block Island, Sag Harbor, Greenport, etc. with no issues. A well trained dog doesn't need a leash (unless there are sea lawyers around).

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 19:25   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
No disrespect LtBrett, but in my experience, only about 20% of dogs meet with a standard that I would describe as "well trained". Of course, for dogs that are not well trained, the fault is with the owner, not the mutt, but it unfortunately, the law doesn't allow for owners to be "humanely destroyed"...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 20:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am a dog lover but I love my dog not yours so I agree. Keep the leash short and heaven forbid, don't let your dog come jumping on me. If I want to meet your dog I'll approach him/her. After all I am the human - or so I claim most of the time.

Part 2 - Do not ever, ever, ever let your dog come storming up to "meet" my dog. I have been bitten twice by trying to separate dogs that tangled their leashes while "meeting" each other.

Yes - that feels better...

Oh, and your cat? One step above rats in my book - sorry no use for them...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42   #7
cruiser

Uh oh... I'll try not to rant.. ha ha

I agree with the initial post.

I also think that every other post that follows is accurate, except LtBrett's, even thought I respect his opinion and don't doubt his particular dog.

I am currently in a marina with a dog on every boat. It's annoying. There are dogs everywhere and they take them up to a little area where the cars are to make nasty piles of crap all over the grass. It strikes me as odd that I can't squat over that grassy area and relieve myself when there is literally a dog from every boat that can do the same. It's disgusting.

As society gets less and less family and relationship oriented, I see more and more dogs. Now, it's not just every family that has one - it's every single person too.

I'm not a big fan of dogs anymore. There are too many of them, and a couple breeds (pit bulls) seem to hate me for some reason. For this reason, I carry my pocket knife. I figure if one of those unleashed mutts is going to sink his teeth into my leg, I'm going to sink my knife into his neck and tug on it real hard. No lawyers needed.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:40   #8

The marina should be getting on the owner's to pick up their dog crap. Of course people should be smart enough to know that anyway, just another reflection of the "it's all about me" society we live in.

This is all true stuff but I would never trust any dog off leash nowadays even the well trained ones. The risk is just too big given the penalties to the dog if it makes one mistake. Our dog is never off leash, even though we live on 100 acres of bush, she never runs loose, she has a massive play area where she can get exercise at top speed. She is a European GSD and that breed has huge prey drive. She is long, tall, very lean, almost as fast as whippet, loves to chase anything that will move and that can be death to a dog in deer country here. Even with lots of training we cannot reliably overcome that prey drive, though as she ages she is getting better. She was on the boat last weekend for the first time and did excellent, super laid back, that's her in my profile picture, but you find out quickly how much hair a dog can shed. Wow!

One thing though, "If I want to meet your dog I'll approach him/her.", please don't do that, ask me first if it's OK, especially with kids. People who let their kids wander up to strange dogs are nuts.

I've never seen a "solid leash". What the hell is that?
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:04   #9

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdope71 View Post
A boathook?
Old 01-10-2007, 13:53   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post

Maybe it's one of those novelty gag leashes - you know - with the "invisible dog" attached?

Seriously, I think they mean a leash that is strong, like those ones made of nylon strapping about an inch thick on one side.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 13:59   #11

OK, I get it. I was thinking a stick kind of thing like the dog control guys use, couldn't see how that would work for normal use!
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 15:37   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I think he means a standard, fixed-length, leash that does not retract or extend with one of those spring loaded mechanisms.

Having been a dog-owner all my life, I nonetheless agree with what is being said here. It is never a good idea to approach a dog who doesn't know you without their owner (who, one hopes, is the alpha in the relationship) being in control of the dog. Those retractable leashes are terrible things, because they lead the dog to believe that he/she is in control, instead of you. That is a bad thing to do with your dog, because if you don't take charge of them, they will take charge of you -- it's in their genes, they have to do it.

And, as far as the dog crap situation, Sean's anger is completely justified. Pick up after the pooch. Take some of the plastic poop gloves with you. The stuff won't kill you (properly handled, that is).

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 17:53   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I think he means a standard, fixed-length, leash that does not retract or extend with one of those spring loaded mechanisms.
You have perfectly interpreted what I meant by "solid leash," ID - thank you.

As to the notion of approaching a dog on a leash without asking permission, I wouldn't recommend it either. From the dog's point-of-view, you are invading his/her territory. Furthermore, the dog feels trapped by the leash, so his "fight-or-flight" option is reduced to "fight-or-die." What's more, a dog may interpret your approach as a threat to "his" human at the other end of the leash, and react violently in defense.

I appreciate Lt. Brett's desire to leave his dogs off-leash - that is my preference, as well. But I would only do so in a publicly-provided dog park, or in an open area where no other people were present. The only exception would be another person with whom the dogs are already familiar and comfortable.

In my experience, every dog I've ever owned (and I've always had at least one since I was 20) has liked those I like, and not liked those I don't like. Therefore, I'm especially careful with my dogs when someone is around who is not particularly welcome.

My regard for people who do not clean up after their dogs is on a par with people whose children act like obnoxious idiots in public, while the parent(s) carry on, oblivious to the children's actions. While I can't do anything about the rotten kids, or their equally rotten parents, I can pick up dog poop that others have ignored.

My hope is that someone will see me doing their job and be shamed into doing it themselves from then on. It's probably fruitless, I suppose, but hope, as they say, springs eternal.

TaoJones
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
"If I want to meet your dog I'll approach him/her.",

Bad context - I won't approach your dog unasked but please don't lose the point.

I have people all the time that let their dog sniff me up and jump up on me. That is complete BS. My dog doesn't jump on people or sniff them up - Of course it is in their nature, that's why you train them.

My dog will heel and then when I approach you and stop walking will sit next to me and ignore you - Like she was trained to do...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:07   #15

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I had a Lab that did not need a leash. I could go in a bar and she would sit outside untied without moving for hours if I asked her to. Wish my wife would be that good.

The retractable gizmos are only good for lassoing chicks. Other than that the will ruin a well trained dog.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote