Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 16:33   #31

Re: Moving to Australia with Dogs Onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
The dogs have been on the boat for 2 yrs or so, nor going to walk on OZ, in a way they have been quarantined, but with a fanily that cares about them..

30 fays still equals 6 months doggie time in prison for living on a yacht.
Some would argue living on a yacht is prison for a dog...

For people cruising in Aus, even having an "Australian" dog on board is a problem. Much of the coast and islands is national park, so dogs aren't permitted to go ashore.

Some break these rules, but there are very big fines if caught.

I'd also be very surprised if Australia was the only country with strict quarantine requirements.

Best idea is to find them a good new home.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 18:12   #32

Boat: deboated

One of the reasons Australia is what it is with many unique animals etc comes from these rules. Sometimes the rules can seem harsh and maybe at times we could be a little less bureaucratic. Non Australians who slag our country and its rules come over to many here in Australia as being arrogant, unfortunately most seem to come from one country which has a reputation for this kind of attitude. This is a shame as they have a great country themselves with a great people but they need to remember it is not the centre of all that is good in the world.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 19:27   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I doubt that there is anyway around the animal restrictions. New Zealand is very strict also about animals. However many years ago they would give you the option to have the animal remain on board for the quarantine period, but it cost US$100 per day for the inspector to visit the boat every day to verify the animal is still onboard. I don't know if that is still in effect, but the result is few if any opt for it and instead use shore-based quarantine facilities. New Zealand also has online access to their animal regulations.
- - Which is a major reason why you don't take animals with you in the Pacific. . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 20:52   #34

Boat: Fuji45

Well, in fact, I do think about it all the time. They both were raised on my boat and have a huge life of swimming (often with dolphin), and running and playing on deserted beaches (daily), and they go with me everywhere, every day. I suspect most dogs would be envious of their way of life.

I might skip Australia, and maybe a few other places, but I think that's a very small price to pay. These decisions are much harder on me and my way of life than my pooches.
overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 06:22   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post
Well, in fact, I do think about it all the time. They both were raised on my boat and have a huge life of swimming (often with dolphin), and running and playing on deserted beaches (daily), and they go with me everywhere, every day. I suspect most dogs would be envious of their way of life.

I might skip Australia, and maybe a few other places, but I think that's a very small price to pay. These decisions are much harder on me and my way of life than my pooches.
Your prerogative. I rarely defend the inane and at times insane behaviour of AQIS/ACS. On the issue of keeping exotic disease out of the country I am very supportive of them.

And BTW Australia takes its obligations under CITES very very seriously, so no endangered animal products allowed in either. They will be seized. I am happy with that as well.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 14:41   #36

Boat: deboated

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboard View Post

Might be more than a few!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, dogs