When we moved there it was a routine of shots, certificates, and then a strict 30 day quarantine. I was astounded that a counrty know as sort of a pest house of disease and bugs was so worried about what could come in country. Seemed as if everything was already THERE! ; -)
Now you can do the quarantine 'in house' but still have to do the vet certificate, time the shots correctly and fill out reams of paper work.
This is from a Panamanian site outlining the current
PANAMA IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FOR PETS
CATS & DOGS To Panama
1. Vaccination Certificate provided by your veterinarian showing the pet has no rabies. Last shot must be at least 30 days and not more than 12 months before entering Panama;
Certificate also provided by your veterinarian showing the pet is disease free which must be issued within 10 days before leaving;
and Vaccination certificates must be certified by the USDA who have offices all over the U.S.;
4. These Vet & USDA Certificates must then be authenticated by the nearest Panamanian embassy or consulate, or apostiled by the U.S. government
or Secretary of State. You can send them to the nearest Panama consulate or embassy by courier with return envelope and a money
order for $30 for their fee.
5. Certificate of Origin showing where the pet was born;
6. Completed Import
Form (you can get one at the Panama airport
Health or Quarantine Departments);
7. Panama Airport
Health Department reviews
papers and inspects the pet. There is a $16 fee for pet entry. The vets are in the airport on weekdays only from 9am to 3pm and from 7pm to 10pm. If your flight arrives on the weekend or during hours when there is no vet scheduled, you can make arrangements to have a vet come meet your flight. You must make these arrangements through either the Panama Ministry of Health or the Panama Agriculture Ministry. You will be expected to pay an extra fee to have the vet come meet you after hours. If you don’t make arrangements to have the vet meet you a head
of time, your pet will have to stay at the airport until a vet is on shift.
8. $10 per day fee must be paid if your pet is quarantined by the Panama Health Department for 40 days;
9. Panama Home Quarantine option is available for a $130 fee where you promise to keep your pet inside your home for the required 40 days. This request must be made to the Panama Ministry of Health at least 14 days before arrival. The request must include arrival date, flight number, time, pet information and name & passport number of adult, and length of time pet will remain in Panama.
10. The $146 fee must be paid for quarantine expenses to the Panama National Bank, located on the first floor of Tocumen International Airport, from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
11. Present the bank’s receipt and all the other documentation
to the veterinarian of the Panama Quarantine Department of Panama Tocumen International Airport, in order to get the pet