Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up
Re: Your Power to Weight Ratio ( Sail area to displacement in kilos )

Do any of you intend to say anything worth reading.

One of you talks sheep, another talks about being happy with his Catalac, have you anything worth listening too.

I will give you some topics to talk about, lets get going.

1) Bridge-Deck clearance - SHOULD IT BE AS THE DESIGNERS SAY SO 30" min???

2) Are Dagger-Boards best or second best???

3) Why have all Catamarans got 10' cut off the Mast height????

4) Is a closed slot good or not??????

5) Fat Hulls and plenty of DRAG, do we want it????:

6) Why have SELF TACKING JIBS IF THEY REDUCE SAIL AREA AND REDUCE THE POWER OF THE RIG?????

7) What is the point of having a Cat that is 2 Ton over weight???

8) Fly Bridges make us Cat sailors have a BOOM that is 15 ft off the water, just so we can what??? look down on people, see the Bows or Raise the center of effort on the rig so it does what capsize sooner???

9) What do you Cat sailors want next - Please tell me/us because your voice is so quite maybe you don't know, but I do. YOU TELL ME.

bazcatana
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Displacement 151kg

Sail area upwind 15.25m2

Sail area downwind 35.25m2

I don't cruise this boat, I am happy with the power, I have no idea how many miles I can cover in 24 hours, I have done 60 miles in 5.5 hours in varying conditions.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'm more familiar with SA/D in feet and pounds. I can look at that number and make a qick assumption about the boat. (still lots a variables about the boat though) Perhaps this should be done that way.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
A shepherd was herding his flock in a remote pasture when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced out of the dust cloud towards him. The driver, a young man in a Broni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and YSL tie, leaned out the window and asked the shepherd... "If I tell you exactly how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?" The shepherd looked at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looked at his peacefully grazing flock and calmly answered "sure".
The yuppie parked his car, whipped out his IBM ThinkPad and connected it to a cell phone, then he surfed to a NASA page on the internet where he called up a GPS satellite navigation system, scanned the area, and then opened up a database and an Excel spreadsheet with complex formulas. He sent an email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, received a response. Finally, he prints out a 130-page report on his miniaturized printer then turns to the shepherd and says, "You have exactly 1586 sheep. "That is correct; take one of the sheep." said the shepherd. He watches the young man select one of the animals and bundle it into his car.
Then the shepherd says: "If I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my animal?", "OK, why not." answered the young man. "Clearly, you are a consultant." said the shepherd. "That's correct." says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?" "No guessing required." answers the shepherd.
"You turned up here although nobody called you. You want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked, and you don't know crap about my business...... Now give me back my dog!"
YOU made my day....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:10   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If we are talking abut any sort of traditional monohull, its waterline that counts for more than anything. We are 58 LOA; 55,000 disp. 1984 Camper & Nicholson Ketch. LWL is 45. Beam is 16. We weigh 36 tons on the hoist. We make 9 knots easily in about 12 knots true wind and 10+ is easy. We rarely heal over 15 degrees. My cousin's sister ship to ours made 7 days of 15 knots crossing the S Pacific. My sail area is big but the ratio is terrible. The metrics of power to weight is really only of interest discussing similar Cats or planing hull monohulls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2296.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	46299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2218.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	46300  

Name:	IMG_2245.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	46301  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:19   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazcatana View Post
Hi Sailmonkey,

Not sure of your point, apart from saying - why did you bother to reply or join in the discussion - SLEEP ON MATE.

We will call you if we need you

bazcatana
Those are valid numbers......from a performance catamaran....but if you and poo want to play on and be "crappy"..well go for it.

The popularity of this thread is should have been a hint to stay away for me though.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 21:13   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am not sure what the agenda is but for the record the Bruce Number for a Seawind 1250 is 1.33.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58   #23

Boat: Lagoon 380

Factor is using the relevant coefficient: the Bruce Number or: (sailarea)^2/3 divided by (weight)^1/3. If you just divide sailarea by weight, an Optimist dinghy gets the highest value - and you prove that a small light boat is lighter than a heavy boat. No suprise ;-)
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40   #24

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Factor is using the relevant coefficient: the Bruce Number or: (sailarea)^2/3 divided by (weight)^1/3. If you just divide sailarea by weight, an Optimist dinghy gets the highest value - and you prove that a small light boat is lighter than a heavy boat. No suprise ;-)
Regardless of the formula used it's only meaningful so long as it's constant & when used in comparing similar sized & type vessels as there's no input for form or length with a Bruce No. or the Kilograms:M2, maybe like an Optimist versus a Manly Junior would be a fair comparison for it's use.

Regards from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18   #25

Like this, although these two boats are about the same length & used for kids training the opti has one crew & one sail, the MJ has two crew & three sails(only 2 used for calc), the crew weight should count but I didn't bother............. Opti is Bruce 1.39 & Kg:M2 is 10.6:1 the MJ is Bruce 1.83 & KG:M2 is 5.9:1. So what does that prove........... that the Opti is more popular but the MJ is cooler.
Jeff.
Old 11-09-2012, 22:56   #26

Boat: Lagoon 440

Laughing my head off at some of these posts.
Real life, we are sitting in a beautiful bay in my heavy Lagoon 440 that happily yesterday sailed to windward cutting 80 degree tacks for 2 hours or so in just on 8 knots true windspeed and SOG was up to 4.2 the lowest around 2.3 after tacking!

Watermaker, Air-con, Furling boom, Centre-console RIB on davits, 6kva genset, half tanks,

Now i'm about to make my morning coffee but wondering why you people just don't go sailing instead of theorising????
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Laughing my head off at some of these posts.
Real life, we are sitting in a beautiful bay in my heavy Lagoon 440 that happily yesterday sailed to windward cutting 80 degree tacks for 2 hours or so in just on 8 knots true windspeed and SOG was up to 4.2 the lowest around 2.3 after tacking!

Watermaker, Air-con, Furling boom, Centre-console RIB on davits, 6kva genset, half tanks,

Now i'm about to make my morning coffee but wondering why you people just don't go sailing instead of theorising????
Good on ya for having fun Sounds like a nice comfy boat & lifestyle. I'm staying on topic by writing about 2 boats............. in the one post...... multi hull All the best from Jeff.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

You and me both Lagoons4us. Spending some quality time with the whales in hervey bay at the moment
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00   #29

Boat: Lagoon 440

Total hijack here, grandkids hop off our boat after 6 weeks in Croatia and we never saw dolphins till last evening on our sail into TROGIR, amazing stuff, watch those whales they can 'fluke it' now and then!!!!! :-)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:50   #30

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Clipper Marine 32 Masthead Ketch

LOA: 32'

LWL: 30'

Beam: 8.0

SA: 339 SF Factory, larger sails 400+

Displacement: 4500 Pounds

Ballast: 1750 pounds

The boat is not lightning fast because for several factors, one being the screams of my wife when she heels over to 30 degrees in moderate winds.

One CM 32 ketch owner stated "most fun you can have with your pants on". Combo of all the numbers especially the 8 foot beam means this is a sailboat for folks that like to heel. Heeling and sitting up high on the aft cabin as you man the helm is quite a rush. All controls to the helm means you can single hand this 32 foot sailboat if you wish, with crew and guests free to enjoy the ride. Comfortable accommodations for six adults.

Designed by recognized naval architect William Crealock to be the worlds largest Trailerable sailboat, at the time. Almost 40 years later, few surpass that goal today, and the few that do, are only available to the 1% crowd with lots of money. I have lunch money for a year rolled up in her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1095149158.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	46410   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-68499572.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	46411  

Name:	image-1629395352.jpg