Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 01:41   #1

Your help please .!!!!

Ok so looks like I came up with 3 boats and would like your expert cruisers opinions please.
2010 Leopard 38
2004 Lagoon 410 S2
200 Nautitech 40

Can't really make up my mind so your help will be more than helpfull 👍

Sent from my SM-N910C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
namdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 03:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Your help please .!!!!

The leopard 38, good design (morelli melvin) well executed.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:27   #3

Thank you Factor , just hope she is big enough compared to the other two.

Old 26-08-2016, 01:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

It depends on the hull number. If it has a hull number greater than A4025 it should be a good boat if well maintained. However, there were certain problems below #25. Otherwise, they are nice boats but far narrower than your other selections.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 11:32   #5

Boat: Pearson 30

We are pretty partial to our2006 nautitech 40. I like the dual helms, but it does leave one exposed to the elements.

Much depends on your constraints. Ours were performance and 4 cabins for the # of people we have onboard at times. We also wanted a boat in good repair to avoid the time required for an extensive retrofit.

Suggest you write down what you must have, and a prioritized list of what you want, and compare the boats on this basis.
lightsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 12:33   #6

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdes View Post
Ok so looks like I came up with 3 boats and would like your expert cruisers opinions please.
2010 Leopard 38
2004 Lagoon 410 S2
200 Nautitech 40

Can't really make up my mind so your help will be more than helpfull 👍

If you want a copy of my comparison spreadsheet to help you decide PM me and will send you it.

TwT
Old 26-08-2016, 16:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

All well built cats. Only issue with the Leopards is rather low bridge clearance. We we're looking at 2004 42' fantastic layout but clearance only about 58cm (24"). As we plan to do some extended cruising clearance was high on the list. Finally settled on 2004 Fountain Pajot 43' Belize with clearance of 90cm (36") and love it. Really comes down to personal choice and where you plan to go. Have fun.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 21:46   #8

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Of the 3 I'd say Lagoon.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 22:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCat View Post
All well built cats. Only issue with the Leopards is rather low bridge clearance. We we're looking at 2004 42' fantastic layout but clearance only about 58cm (24"). As we plan to do some extended cruising clearance was high on the list. Finally settled on 2004 Fountain Pajot 43' Belize with clearance of 90cm (36") and love it. Really comes down to personal choice and where you plan to go. Have fun.
I think you are confusing the older Simonis designed Leopard 38 with the M&M designed one. Two totally different beasts!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 18:50   #10

Boat: currently boatless

I can only really comment on the Lagoon 410S2. Ours co-incidentally is a 2004 model and is an an ex charter boat. After two and a half years of ownership we just love our boat. She is a very good seaworthy vessel which we are currently cruising the northern parts of the Eastern seaboard of Australia. The owners version would have been brilliant but we settled for the four cabin model.
Dependant on angle of the wind we happily do 7 to 8's in 15 knots of breeze in full cruise trim. The boat is very liveable and comfortable at sea or at anchor. It is a great size for a cruising couple and I have found sails as well or better than a lot of new models.
Personally we did not consider catamarans with helming positions that were not protected. In adverse conditions its just plain miserable. In tropical area you are constantly exposed to the sun. This is only my opinion and what suits us. We did modify the bimini on the Lagoon for greater protection and it was worth every cent.
Of course value for money was a major consderation and we feel that we got an awful lot of boat for the money we paid. We do have plans on going to Indonesia if things work out and feel very confident in the boat we have chosen will get us there and back in safety and comfort.
We have friends with Leopards and they are very happy with their models.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 23:29   #11

Thanks Greg this helps a lot

Old 06-09-2016, 03:42   #12

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I've heard it said a few times - no point asking a boat owner whether he recommends his own boat. By and large we all defend our own choices because we would hate to 'fall out of love' and have to start all over again!

As another N40 owner, I won't start on the pros and cons of exposed helms. That is a very practical issue and potential buyers can fairly easily assess the benefits (yes there are some) and the downside, and although I've seen some photos of mini-biminis over the helms, I really think this looks ridiculous.

And that brings me to the point I want to make. Rarely do I see comparisons of aesthetics, even though the old rule about "do you admire your yacht when you row away from her at anchor?" is well known. Is it because we fear ridicule for prioritizing aesthetics over safety or seaworthiness? My advice, perhaps controversially, would be to choose a yacht you like to look at, and then work on the practical issues, all of which are 'do-able'. But you will never convert an ugly yacht (in your own assessment) into a beauty..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:47   #13

Chris those are true words and I decided to go with the Leopard 385 , why because yes I like her looks she's a beauty , won boat of the year , good condition , price and 2010 model and location is also more convenient for me.

Old 08-09-2016, 15:58   #14

Boat: currently boatless

Congratulatons on your purchase, I am sure you are going to be very happy with your choice. At the end of the day you and you wife are the ones who have to live and sail the boat and more importantly know what you want in a boat.

Enjoy

Greg and Sue
Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 21:27   #15
Marine Service Provider

It all depends on whether you want a boat that has a balsa-wood cored hull or not... what century are we in again???
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease