Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2012, 18:27   #1

Your Favorite Multi-hull from 32-41ft

Favorite multi-hull in the 31-42ft range that 2 people could comfortably liveaboard full time. Main goals are not ocean crossings, but regular carribean travel. I want full Gulf of Mexico access and creature comforts are more important than racing speeds.

What brands/models are your favorites? and Why?
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 18:59   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Your favorite multi-hull from 32-41ft

A lot depends on the two people.

Often times one of the people knows how to sail and the other one is not quite so skilled. There is also the question of physical strength. Things like raising the hook may or may not require an electric winch and/or help with raising sails.

Same goes for other skills and needs like cooking and perhaps AC. Is a simple frig/freezer that runs on solar panels enough or do you need a generator.

All that being said for me it would probably be a Seawind 1000xl or a Corsair 37 if I was looking for shoal draft boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 19:22   #3

Yeah, I should have mentioned. Electric winches are a must. It's very important that it can be solo sailed. If for no other reason than emergency. People get hurt/sick or break ups happen.. you never know.
Old 25-07-2012, 19:25   #4

Corsair 37' Fast fun sailing with 50cm draft. Put a bimini on it and you got yourself a nice ride. The way sailing should be. Simple.
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 19:53   #5

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
Yeah, I should have mentioned. Electric winches are a must. It's very important that it can be solo sailed.
And yet skinny little girls can sail 75 ft monsters single handed around the world without them

Old 25-07-2012, 20:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
And yet skinny little girls can sail 75 ft monsters single handed around the world without them

Yeah.... those chicks are not my chick. I'll be lucky if she will motor it back if I get hurt.

We will spend most of our time at port both working full time... We want a sailing condo that we can drop some weight at the townhouse we'll still own and run out to the caribbean islands for a month each year to play.
Old 25-07-2012, 20:35   #7

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
I said nothing about speed
Read it again.

The fact is that the vast majority of cats and tri's up to 42 feet and even over have no electric winches (apart from anchor) yet are sailed easily short handed and single handed.

Electric winches and electrical systems are also another thing that can go wrong, how will you manage single handed then?

Surely better to have the correct size winches and systems in play so as to make it easy to sail in the first place.

Quote:
Yeah.... those chicks are not my chick. I'll be lucky if she will motor it back if I get hurt.
Maybe a fuel efficient trawler would be better?

Quote:
We will spend most of our time at port both working full time... We want a sailing condo that we can drop some weight at the townhouse we'll still own and run out to the caribbean islands for a month each year to play.
A month each year?
May I suggest a charter boat as a more affordable alternative.
Old 25-07-2012, 20:36   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have used battery powerd off set drills for a long time !! works great for Connie to lift and set sails !! and she's 5ft nothing and 130 lbs (after being on shore 3 yrs LOL) and 60 yrs young I use em myself But not all the time lol all kidding aside they will work in place of electric winchs !! Now don't get me wrong I would love to have electric winchs but at the cost of then for our new to us boat would cost almost as much as the boat cost !! LOL they are pricey !! and our old drills will have to do !! Just our 2 cents
Old 26-07-2012, 04:16   #9

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Your Favorite Multi-hull from 32-41ft

We are very satisfied with our Lagoon TPI 37, it is easily single handed, extremely comfortable for liv-a-boards, as the great majority of them are in fact liv-a-board boats. Just a nice STRONG, boat!! And at 4' draft we spend a lot of time in the Bahamas and have only went aground a couple of times And if you watch the weight it is a fast boat, and points well.
Second choice would be a Privilege, cost a little more but nice boats. I know for a fact from experience that both are easily single handed.
On our boat I use the windlass as a winch for the main and to haul people up the mast. It works very well, you just have to tail the line.
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 05:32   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The Manta is the easiest single-handed and creature comfort boat in that range ever made. It is specifically designed and outfitted from the factory for two people to live in almost unparalleled comfort (for that size and price range). All sail handling and controls are led to the helm station's electric winch. One person can raise/drop sails, reef, navigate, make course changes and trim sails without ever leaving the helm seat.

They are perfect liveaboard coastal cruisers and are also designed and built to cross oceans if that ever strikes you.

Sounds like you want a Manta.

The only other boat that comes close to your requirements would be an Endeavorcat 32 or 36, but you will have to give up looks and performance on that boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 05:57   #11

So far, the Leapord 39, the Seawind 1160/1250 and the Lagoon 38/41 have been at the top of my list. I'm also looking at some of the mid 2000s Fountain Pajot... I plan to buy a 2-3 year old boat or save for an extra year or so and go new. They all seem to come with electric winches, and comfortable living areas. The seawind is probably my favorite overall and the leapord seems to have the best layout for liveaboard. I haven't seen the manta yet, I'll check that one out.

I'm not worried about the budget at this point. Sub $1,000,000 dollar range just so I know better what's out there. As the time comes to buy I can figure out what I want to drop to get closer to my $500,000 range.
Old 26-07-2012, 06:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I said nothing about speed
Read it again.

The fact is that the vast majority of cats and tri's up to 42 feet and even over have no electric winches (apart from anchor) yet are sailed easily short handed and single handed.

Electric winches and electrical systems are also another thing that can go wrong, how will you manage single handed then?

Surely better to have the correct size winches and systems in play so as to make it easy to sail in the first place.

The hand held winch system is a definite option. Though... I have yet to find a cat over 35ft+ built after 2005 that I would even consider that didn't have the electric winch systems at the helm. Seems pretty standard in my limited research. Are you referring to older boats?

Maybe a fuel efficient trawler would be better?

I already own one... looking for a liveaboard sailboat.

A month each year?
May I suggest a charter boat as a more affordable alternative.

I plan to take weekend trips as well. But those will be coastal cruising trips, nothing serious. Mostly just taking the boat to the barrier islands for drinks and bbq.

Thanks for taking time to reply!
Old 28-07-2012, 06:27   #13

For me, I like the Leopard 39 and the FP Mahe 36. The Mahe 36 has surprised me with a simple layout, good speed under canvas, all around good looks and comforts, and just a general pleasure to be on. It's smaller, so less to deal with, less $$ for repairs and any kind of docking, etc. There is a great thread on here about them and forum user Cotemar (who took me and my wife out for a daysail) is an absolute expert on all things Mahe. I came close to buying a Leopard in charter earlier this year, and I really like the new 39 layout. Very efficient and smart. Those are my current favorites.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 08:21   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w View Post
Corsair 37' Fast fun sailing with 50cm draft. Put a bimini on it and you got yourself a nice ride. The way sailing should be. Simple.
Yes, the C-37 is way fast and way fun, but do you really want to liveaboard a Corsair? A bit like living in a camper trailer.

I used to race Corsairs and while they are great fun, I expect you might ultimately find yourself living aboard alone.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 08:35   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
....The only other boat that comes close to your requirements would be an Endeavorcat 32 or 36, but you will have to give up looks and performance on that boat.

Mark
Definitely have to give up looks (and performance) -- easily wins the prize for ugliest boats ever built.

"Pretty" sure makes it easier to sell to the wife or GF....that's how I wound up with a Wildcat 35. If you read posts here on the WC-35 you will find others whose SO was a big factor in the purchase. Nice looking boat, WAY comfortable for liveaboard (quite good for cruising and charter use too) and the price is right (although since they went out of biz the asking prices appear to be creeping up a bit). I've lived aboard, operated as a charter vessel, and cruised extensively on my WC-35. She's a good little boat (she does not meet my ideals for the "perfect" cat -- precious few current production cats do) and she certainly has served me well in all three modes of use.

Downside to the WC-35 (or its later versions like the Jaguar 36) is that they had a wildly variable quality of build -- be sure and get a good cat knowledgeable surveyor if you consider one. Mine is built like the proverbial brick outhouse -- way strong, but a bit heavier than she should be.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote