must be from a different planet or middle ages,,,
catalac, dean, solaris, cats you don't seem to know/mention
or I am not in your league?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:15   #32

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Re: Your Favorite Multi-hull from 32-41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I'd find it hard not to go for the 37ft Prout, an old one. Solid, rare structural or Osmosis issues, an excellent interior layout, and good sleeping at sea in the berths, and a king size in the main saloon for special occasions.
Price also leaves a solid budget for upgrades, though ship battery driven drills are very effective electric winches, readily replaceable and they also haul the anchor if the wiring is adequate. As a moored-up live-aboard it has everything sorted, as an ocean going boat it has survivability, adequate speed, an effective rig with the rear mast location making everything available from the cockpit.
It's not the smartest boat, but you have the budget left to decorate as you wish. And it won't depreciate like some breeds do. For survival I would consider inflated bags in bow and stern. Not foam filled just in case there's penetration damage. Just to be sure she's unsinkable.
I would echo this, for the most part, with reference to the older Leopard 38's. Solid, seaworthy, won't cause you grief when the going gets rough.

I would mention that the rigs on many cats, in particular those with the charter market in mind, have rigs designed for 90% fair weather sailing, and leave some to be desired when the winds pick up over 25 or so. I am adding an inner forestay and heavy weather staysail to keep things balanced and more efficient than the typical large genoa with multiple wraps on the furler.

If I was buying new... Maverick 400 in a heartbeat.

Dave L38 #38

Old 01-08-2012, 13:07   #33
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforge24 View Post
Sorry to intervene,
must be from a different planet or middle ages,,,
catalac, dean, solaris, cats you don't seem to know/mention
or I am not in your league?
Catalacs and Solaris built boats with solid fiberglass hulls. Not fast by today's standards but they age gracefully because of the build quality. I've never sailed on a Dean built boat.
Old 01-08-2012, 13:20   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezz 40ft

what I am more intrested in finging out is that quite a few, even pajot, cats are
equiped with petrol outboards, now that seems a little underpowered
y/n
Old 01-08-2012, 14:44   #35
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat

Catalacs and Solaris built boats with solid fiberglass hulls. Not fast by today's standards but they age gracefully because of the build quality. I've never sailed on a Dean built boat.
Your right about the Catalacs but Solaris put out their 32' and 36' Solaris Sunstar which has foam cored hulls. The Sunstar was pulled from the Jeffcat mold deigned by Eric Lerouge and are actually pretty good performers.
Old 01-08-2012, 14:50   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforge24 View Post
what I am more intrested in finging out is that quite a few, even pajot, cats are
equiped with petrol outboards, now that seems a little underpowered
y/n
I dont know how you work that out, 20hp is 20 hp whether is inboard or outboard? In any event most of the cats with outboards actually sail very well.
Old 01-08-2012, 17:58   #37

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

There are a large number of ex-charter Lagoon 410's on the market right now. A very nice size catamaran for cruising. No A/C or generator, all prices 225k-235k
Old 01-08-2012, 18:12   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Older = Manta. Try for one built by Endeavour in Clearwater FL. Or one of the ones built early on in Sarasota.

Newer = Don't leave out the Maverick. Have heard lots of good things about them.

Seawind 12m is fantastic except for two things that I just do not like = it's just me.
Old 01-08-2012, 18:15   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The Manta is the easiest single-handed and creature comfort boat in that range ever made. It is specifically designed and outfitted from the factory for two people to live in almost unparalleled comfort (for that size and price range). All sail handling and controls are led to the helm station's electric winch. One person can raise/drop sails, reef, navigate, make course changes and trim sails without ever leaving the helm seat.

They are perfect liveaboard coastal cruisers and are also designed and built to cross oceans if that ever strikes you.

Sounds like you want a Manta.

The only other boat that comes close to your requirements would be an Endeavorcat 32 or 36, but you will have to give up looks and performance on that boat.

Mark
And if you want to bump it up a little - Antares 44i. Built for living aboard.......in comfort. And you can actually access things to fix them in the tropical anchorages ya know.
Old 01-08-2012, 18:22   #40

Lots of great suggestions. I have been doing a lot of research and sometimes the toughest part is knowing what question to ask. Ya'll have loaded me up with great questions and designs to look up.
Old 01-08-2012, 21:28   #41

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
Lots of great suggestions. I have been doing a lot of research and sometimes the toughest part is knowing what question to ask. Ya'll have loaded me up with great questions and designs to look up.
Try to find a way to see some in person. Photos and layouts are not very helpful in understanding a boat's look and feel. For example, the interiors of a lagoon 38, 41, 42, and 44 all look alike in a photo. Layouts don't show brightness of a cabin, or the headroom in a bunk.

If you can see a few designs in person, then the ones you don't see in person will make more sense - you can sort of interpolate the features of a design you haven't seen based on the ones you have seen.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04   #42
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

SMJ is correct - and my Solaris Sunstream 40 is also foam cored above the waterline. No question that a number of the earlier British-built cats still make great cruising boats at an affordable price. However, since the OP later clarified that he was looking at boats that originally cost up to 1 mil and that are available used in his budget range of 500K, it seemed clear that his interests lay elsewhere.

Therapy's suggestion of the Antares 44i strikes me as a good one. Extremely well-built, easy access to the diesels, a dry and comfortable cockpit with a solid dodger and windshield with wipers, good load carrying capability, good tankage, rigged for proper storm sails and decent, if not exceptional performance.

Brad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: