Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2003, 01:58   #1
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
Your catamaran or trimaran

With the idea from the "Monohull sailboats" forum I'd like to start a thread on discovering what kind of multihull sailboats we all have. It might be helpful one day ...

I have a Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 catamaran. All FP cat owners are invited to join a private forum where we discuss experiences etc. on FP cats, just send me a message if you want access.

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:14   #2
jim

Boat: Manta,38- Xanadu
Our multihull

We will be moving aboard our Manta 38 within the next couple of months. She is a 1995 and we bought her in 2000. Still learning to sail and handle her.
Looking forward to learning any tips and tricks in handling a Mult in heavy weather. Or for that matter any time..

jim
s/v xanadu
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 00:18   #3

My boat...

Vinga is a 1992 Lagoon 42, hull #6 of 52 built
I've lived aboard for a little over three years now, coming to the Caribbean down the Thorny Path, to the Virgins, and back and forth to Bonaire from St Croix to hide from hurricane season. For the summer of 03, I'll sadly store her on the hard in Tortola so I can visit with my aged mother in Virginia for a few months. Then it'll be back onboard about the end of October, or maybe November, remembering Lenny.
Cheers,
Melissa
MelissaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:57   #4

maine cat 30

we bought our Maine cat 30 in may of 2000 . we picked her up at the builders in
waldeboro me. & sail her to her home port of punta gorda fl. we don't do to
much day sailing . on occasion a club race or a short sail with friends . mostly
we use her to cruise . so far we have done the abaco's , part of the berry's ,&
the Exuma's . the we includes my wife Nancy myself & our faithful companion
eeckie (THE CAT ) fair winds from Rocinante
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 08:43   #5

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Our boat

We have sailed our PDQ36 for the past 5 years, but only moved aboard full time in October 2002. After a winter in the Bahamas, we have decided that the PDQ is not our ideal boat for extended cruising, and are looking at both the Manta 42 and the Island Spirit 40. If anyone out there has any first hand information on either of these boats, we would really appreciate hearing from you.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 07:45   #6
jim

Boat: Manta,38- Xanadu
Harriet:

We bought our Manta 38 july 2000. So far everything seems to be holding up good. We are going to move onboard the last of June. We like the storage, galley up, large owners head with walk in shower and the large bimini. Overall we are well pleased.

Pat Reischmann is the real guru on the Manta's. He has done most of the design work. His address is [preischmann@msn.com]
He is good about answering most questions. Chesapeake Catamaran Center in Annapolis is the broker for Manta's. email is http://www.chessiecat.com/

A little history: The manta 38's were the first to be manufactured. They made 8 or 9 in 94 and 95. Then they added 2 feet to the stern to make the Manta 40's. I believe about 40 of these were made. Next they added 1ft to stern and bow to make the 42's. These are still being made. Interior space is virtually the same on all 3 models except on the 42's more head room was added to the salon and larger volvo diesels.

If I can help further email me at jaantl@earthlink.net.

We'll probably be heading to the Bahamas in January of next year.

Fair Winds
jim

jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2003, 17:16   #7

Boat: boat less ATM
Angry I miss my Cat home

My significant other and I lived on our 33ft Lock Crowther designed cat for 3 years before moving to southern China last September to work. We sailed Strider from Sydney to Cairns and back 4 times. a distance of about 1800 nm each way over that time.

We have replenished our cruising kitty and are due to put our home back in the water when we return to australia in 3 months. we will take 6 months off and sail around the top to Broome - then who knows where.

By Sept we will have hopefully survived SARS and the pollution here in China.

"Dying" to get back to areas with few / no people, no pollution, no spitting and no traffic.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2003, 01:55   #8
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
pirate Seychelles in July

I'm looking forward to 4 weeks of cat cruising in the Seychelles in July.

The first plan was to take 2 weeks in the Seychelles for our wedding and then 2 weeks on safari in Kenya/Tanzania for our honeymoon, but now we have skipped East Africa since my 'wife to be' is preagnant

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 17:27   #9
mpk

lovely cat

Gisle -
I must say that the photos you have posted of your FP are fantastic. My husband and I are narrowing down the cat selection to an FP that won't be too much boat (either in cost or size). The Seychelles are our dream islands- maybe someday. .. Enjoy the honeymoon! I would enjoy hearing what others have to say about their Fountaine Pajots.

I can sympathize with the couple ( being from Chicago) when I read the post about leaving south China. I had to chuckle about spitting!

Regards,
mp
mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 14:27   #10

Manta 40

After looking at a lot of monohulls, we purchased a Manta 40 last October. The boat is in very good condition and appears to have been well maintained. Right now, we're making it our home, getting to know its systems and learning to sail her. I'm very impressed and and pleased with our choice.

Bruce
BruceO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:48   #11

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
We have lived aboard and cruised a PDQ36 for nearly 6 years now, but with a new baby on the way in a few weeks we are moving up to a larger cat (moving from one boat to the next this weekend). We now own a St. Francis 44 (1999)

Harriette, we looked at Island Spirit 40 and the like when shopping around, and without going into long winded critiques about this boat or that, we found that a great resource for finding out the good,bad, and ugly of cruising cats is to talk to delivery crews who are used to making passages on them. I can give you the email of a couple who makes lots of Trans-Atlantic and up and down the Carib passages on cats who gave us some honest and useful info that helped us make our decision. Their experiences steered us away from the IS40.

Anyhow below is a link for our wonderful PDQ 36 which is for sale, if anyone is interested. It's ready to cruise and in great shape at a competitive price.

http://www.authenticyachts.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&checked_boats=12070 82&slim=broker&&hosturl=authenticyachtbrokerage&&y wo=authenticyachtbrokerage&

for Sale FULL SPECS" target="_blank">http://www.authenticyachts.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=120708-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww--IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-2&hosturl=authenticyachtbrokerage&&ywo=authenticya-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww--IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-chtbrokerage&&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Publi-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww--IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-c&listing_id=1765&url=&hosturl=authenticyachtbroke-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww--IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-rage&&ywo=authenticyachtbrokerage&

Here is a pic of our new catamaran home. I can't wait until we're settled in, I just hope the baby holds off until we're ready and moved in!

schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 06:02   #12

Thanks, schoonerdog.

Your new cat is gorgeous. We wish you many happy years aboard (all 3 of you!).

As you might have noticed from some other posts, we opted for the Manta 42. Once I looked at the "improvements" that IS was making, and I could not get a new boat in the old configuration, the Island Spirit immediately dropped off my radar. It was really just a matter of personal preference, but your idea of talking to the delivery folks is an excellent one.

We have been aboard the Manta for about 2 months now, and so far we are extremely pleased with our choice.
Old 07-06-2004, 00:25   #13

Not quite a multi

(sigh) I have only half a Multi the other half is yet to be built it will be cojoined around christmas. Its a 11m snell easy the wife and I hope to join the maddening crowds cruising up and down the east coast of OZ. Shane
To track our progress look up our pics in the member gallery
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:39   #14

Harriet,
What is your opinion on the motion of your Manta vs. your PDQ. Especially with regard to the side to side motion in boat wakes. As we were coming down the ICW in our Prout, what struck me was the quick motion as a wake crossed sid to side and one hull to another. Monohulls in similar wakes do not rock as bad in my experience. Does the wider beam of the Manta improve this?

Thanks
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 13:53   #15

Unless we have very limited maneuverability, we never take a wake broadside. Instead, we will turn into the wake at a 45 degree angle, which creates a fore and aft rocking motion that is not a problem.

As for the difference between the PDQ and Manta in that regard, it is neglible at best. There may be slightly less motion on the Manta, but I would attribute that to its greater weight rather than the wider beam.

Tags
trimaran