Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-04-2013, 12:27   #31

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: You'll probably all laugh at me but...

Buy a boat and build a dinghy. It sounds more like you'd like a little woodworking hobby than you'd like to own a handmade boat.

As previously post, 20-something is a great size - large enough to handle like a yacht, small enough to be practical as a beginner's boat.

And don't buy a project. In that size range, you should be able to afford a decent boat in good sailing condition. If you find that to be outside your price range, you DEFINITELY are not in the market for building!

Just realized we're talking about cats. In that category, I think a light project is a good idea. A cat is larger and more expensive, but also gives you a potentially more flexible platform for project-work than a small monohull would (iow, a cat is large enough to support a project while still being comfortable enough to enjoy)

ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 11:27   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Buy a boat and build a dinghy. It sounds more like you'd like a little woodworking hobby than you'd like to own a handmade boat.
I think that is a great idea / compromise ......if OP then wants to build bigger will have a few more skills in the bag and a little bit more of an idea of what is chewing off. and if not then can make lots of shelves .

Of course that will be a Mono dinghy .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 08:21   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42

Don't build.
Don't buy a fixer upper either.
If you have to go a foot or two smaller, buy a boat that's completely ready to sail. You are not going to keep it forever, so consider resale value.
Don't wait for a cat you can sleep on. It's price will buy two monohulls, and require a bigger car to tow, if it can be towed at all. Your cruising Cat will come later.
Find another sailing club, one where you can become so popular that you'll be invited to sail on a variety of boats. One way to become popular is to ask for opinions, and not have one yourself.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 09:03   #34

Location: El Ciudad del Mission San Diego de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Originally Posted by NigelD View Post
Hello all,
I've been lurking around here for a while now since I said hello a couple of years ago. Pleased to report that I've built a few miles up with my work sailing club and gained a huge increase in confidence. The problem is that the ops team at my club are a bunch of hateful begrudging (expletive deleted) who could not be more offputting in their attitude to newcomers to the club.

That's not a bad thing - it makes me 100% determined to get my own boat so I don't have to go near them any more.

So here's what I'm inviting your ridicule regarding - do I build or buy? I am very interested in building a boat since I like carpentry and have some rudimentary skills. I'm looking at a Janus catamaran (a Richard Woods design) or a Scarab 22 trimaran (a Ray Kendrick design). I'm still looking into that. But should I just buy something so I can get out on the water? Funds are low so it would be small and scabby. But the boat you've got is the right boat, right? I'm trying to gather the courage to do one or the other.

As I said, I invite your ridicule! And some sound advice. I sail in the UK and expect to be sailing shorthanded or singlehanded in the future.

How many people as regular crew? Any kids?
Sailing experience?
What's your budget to buy and outfit the boat? (living and cruising costs extra.)
Where are you? Where do you want to sail out of? Which coast do you want to set off from and more specifically where on that coast?
Where to you want to go?
Are you looking to daysail/long weekend vacations, or cruise extensively or liveaboard and occasionally take several weeks or months off to nip around the Caribbean or Baja?
Any really strong preferences to start with? (full/fin keel, mono/multi, spade/skeg/attached rudder, sloop/cutter/mizzen rigged)
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 09:49   #35

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hello Nigel, As you've guessed there as many opinions as types of boat. Personally I would look at the hull shape vis a vis the waters I would be sailing in. In Cushendall harbour in Northern Ireland I was given a sunken plywood dinghy with a hole in it as my first 'boat', 4 truck tyres and some rope and with a bit of impromptu diving it was recovered, repaired and went on to give my (then)young family many hours of pleasure. I've had a boat ever since and have lived onboard since 1985 and wouldn't change my way of life for all the tea in China. I would scour boating magaines and put an add on e-bay, gumtree etc for an abandoned boat and take your pick of what's offered. I have a brother who bought a narrow boat and did the engineering work himself and swapped skills with a cabinet maker but still took 2 years to finish the boat. A friend of mine bought a sailaway from RLL boats in Keynsham (disaster) and is still fitting it out 3 years later and is desperate to get rid off it. as for the 'Pink gin brigade in the 'Yacht club', dump them and look elsewhere, genuine sailors belong to a brotherhood and there should be no barriers to being friendly and helpful to a fellow sailor.
We are all equal at sea.
Have courage and I wish you every success for the future.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:57   #36

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34, "Shoal Survivor"

I'm in the "buy a beach cat" club. Some folks look down at small boats, but they compete in the Olympics and really, small boats will teach you to sail.

Sail Delmarva: The Merits of Learning to Sail on a Small Boat

I owned a beach cat for years, then a Stiletto 27 (something like the Janus), and now something larger. But the beach cat taught me to sail. Now I'm getting into kayaks because I love the simplicity and feel of small boats.

"Climbing (sailing) is like fun, only different."

Tom Pattey, Scottish ice climber
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: