Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 16:04   #16
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

slosaileddie,

Also note that both Yanmar & Volvo engines use a raw water pump made by Johnson Pumps. Not sure how one is better that the other when they are both the same.
SPX Johnson Pump for Boatbuilders, Pleasure, Commercial & Fishing boats
__________________

__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 16:30   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
slosaileddie,

Also note that both Yanmar & Volvo engines use a raw water pump made by Johnson Pumps. Not sure how one is better that the other when they are both the same.
SPX Johnson Pump for Boatbuilders, Pleasure, Commercial & Fishing boats
Johnson makes lots of different pumps, like most pump manufacturers. They are not all equally good. They are also not all at the same price, delivery volume, impeller materials, seals, gaskets etc. Last I looked a D50 did not have the same pump as 4JH
__________________

__________________
slosaileddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 16:33   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

I don't understand why the impeller service life would be different - they use the same off-the-shelf impellers. Yanmar and Volvo don't make impellers, they use other manufacturer's equipment.

On the Volvo MD2030 engine, the raw water pump is under spec'd. In very warm water, the engine could use more raw water flow. Everywhere else, it is OK. I don't know if that is the same for other Volvo models or any Yanmar models.

I brought up the example of the backward pump because that was an example of a poor Yanmar design that was not corrected for many years, let alone within a year. Search this forum and you will find other examples. My point was that Yanmar is not innocent in this.

I did not know the SD20's could be reversed. The other Yanmar SD models cannot, or at least could not in the past.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 16:23   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bradenton, Fla
Posts: 172
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Im looking to buy a 50 to 60 ft Cat and found a 56ft that has shaft drive and the Lagoon 500 that has saildrives.
The 56ft draft is 3ft and the Lagoon is around 4.5ft.
The Lagoon is real nice inside and so is the 56ft. I wonder why they have to
keep using these saildrives which seem to cost a lot to work on.
__________________
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 10:29   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 88
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

We have had many dozens of charteryachts over the last 28 years and for me Yanmar is far superior to Volvo. Never any issues with Yanmar, always issues with Volvo. Gearboxes of both Yanmar and Volvo give similar problems, but engine wise: I would never ever have a yacht with a Volvo engine.
Yanmar actually develops marine engines, Volvo just use industrial blocks and marineses them. Start taking some things apart and youŽll see why Yanmar is so much more sturdy and better.

Also, where saildrives are concerned: Yanmar has a double seal, with water alarm, whereas if you have a leak in your Volvo seal.....youŽre sinking. Ok, maybe less of a problem in a cataraman. But still.

What does worry me though, is that Yanmar is now also chosen the route of electronics (bigger engines).

In the end: whatever engine you have, maintain it properly and regularly and look after it and it will look after you.
__________________
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcruiser
We have had many dozens of charteryachts over the last 28 years and for me Yanmar is far superior to Volvo. Never any issues with Yanmar, always issues with Volvo. Gearboxes of both Yanmar and Volvo give similar problems, but engine wise: I would never ever have a yacht with a Volvo engine.
Yanmar actually develops marine engines, Volvo just use industrial blocks and marineses them. Start taking some things apart and youŽll see why Yanmar is so much more sturdy and better.

Also, where saildrives are concerned: Yanmar has a double seal, with water alarm, whereas if you have a leak in your Volvo seal.....youŽre sinking. Ok, maybe less of a problem in a cataraman. But still.

What does worry me though, is that Yanmar is now also chosen the route of electronics (bigger engines).

In the end: whatever engine you have, maintain it properly and regularly and look after it and it will look after you.
We have 2 used yanmar saildrives for sale, professionally removed and packed by Marathon Boat Yard, came off our Endreavour 44 Sailing catamaran, engines are Yanmar 40, less than 1000 hrs. Anyone interested can send a pm
__________________
felix ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:28   #22
Registered User
 
Hammer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: Still doing research...
Posts: 79
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Reading this thread shows there are definitely two camps when it comes to yacht engines.

For a person like me who's just about to buy another boat, reading this thread hasn't made it easier to which engine is best. It seems both have pros and cons.

But it seems, I won't have to choose as Lagoon only offers Yanmar engines on the model I'm keen on (even on the engine upgrade option). Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
__________________
H@mmer
"Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 17:45   #23
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Reading this thread shows there are definitely two camps when it comes to yacht engines.

For a person like me who's just about to buy another boat, reading this thread hasn't made it easier to which engine is best. It seems both have pros and cons.

But it seems, I won't have to choose as Lagoon only offers Yanmar engines on the model I'm keen on (even on the engine upgrade option). Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
Its not the engines that are the problem. The saildrive on the Yanmars has cone clutches that cause problems, usually at the worst time.
__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:52   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,425
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Its not the engines that are the problem. The saildrive on the Yanmars has cone clutches that cause problems, usually at the worst time.
To be clear, just the saildrives on the bigger engines. The SD20 used on <30hp engines have a dog clutch, not a cone clutch.
__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:27   #25
Registered User
 
Hammer's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: Still doing research...
Posts: 79
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
To be clear, just the saildrives on the bigger engines. The SD20 used on <30hp engines have a dog clutch, not a cone clutch.
Considering its bulk & weight, I wonder if that was the reason why Lagoon only offer upto 29 hp Yanmar engines on the L39?
__________________
H@mmer
"Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent"
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:37   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,425
Re: Yanmar 40 versus Volvo saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Considering its bulk & weight, I wonder if that was the reason why Lagoon only offer upto 29 hp Yanmar engines on the L39?
I would doubt the clutch type in the saildrive never enters into the decision by Lagoon on engine offerings in the L39.

The L39 would have no use for engines bigger than 29hp. In fact the smaller engine will probably push the boat to hull speed in all but the worst of conditions. The larger option would cover the worst of conditions.

It's a sailboat, engines are auxiliary power!
__________________

__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
saildrive, volvo, yanmar

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.