Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 16:53   #31
Registered User
 
Dkdoyle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ruskin, Fl
Boat: Seafarer 26
Posts: 287
I have no idea what sarasota sailing squadron member prices are or what facilities the have. You should be able to get to know people and crew on boats for free. You can always chwck out clubs and hang around and crew for no cost and later decide if you want to go further or not. I would assume the have club boats that members can borrow. Best to just go over there ans introduce yourself and volunteer as crew for racing or day sail.
__________________

__________________
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 17:45   #32
Registered User
 
Want to sail's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: St. Marys Georgia
Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Posts: 49
Images: 1
Re: Wow, what a day

Welcome Aboard!
We took our lessons at Fernandina with Winward Sailing. Much less than the price you quoted. It would be a little further trip but you would get to stay on the boat a couple of nights. We did a lot of marina walking when we were looking for a boat. Met many wonderful people and got lots of great information. Many invited us aboard their boats to check them out and help in our decision making. Most cruisers are friendly sharing individuals that love to talk about their boats and lifestyle!
Enjoy the journey. It's a blast!
Want to sail
__________________

__________________
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 17:58   #33
Registered User
 
dropanchorfor3's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida
Boat: Still looking
Posts: 90
Re: Wow, what a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to sail View Post
Welcome Aboard!
We took our lessons at Fernandina with Winward Sailing. Much less than the price you quoted. It would be a little further trip but you would get to stay on the boat a couple of nights. We did a lot of marina walking when we were looking for a boat. Met many wonderful people and got lots of great information. Many invited us aboard their boats to check them out and help in our decision making. Most cruisers are friendly sharing individuals that love to talk about their boats and lifestyle!
Enjoy the journey. It's a blast!
Want to sail
The marinas I was at were very exclusive, I am not looking for that. The boat owners I talked with had to much starch in there callers and would not chat with me. I don't consider myself an idiot and I know how to introduce myself and start a good conversation. But the problem is where I live the marinas are very exclusive.
I have just researched a marina more of my comfort style and will be going over there this weekend. I know I will meet some very nice boaters and can't wait to chat with them, but in the mean time, I am reading my books which are way cool and am still searching for a decently priced sailing school.
Fernandina with Winward Sailing- where is that located and what did you pay for "ASA 101" lessons?
__________________
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 18:00   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Wow, what a day

there is a site called sailmonster and those folks will also sail with ye-- they are in sarasota and on manatee river area----and one of em would LOVE to have ye sail with them or vice versa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 18:23   #35
Registered User
 
dropanchorfor3's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida
Boat: Still looking
Posts: 90
Re: Wow, what a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a site called sailmonster and those folks will also sail with ye-- they are in sarasota and on manatee river area----and one of em would LOVE to have ye sail with them or vice versa.

This is a cool site, thanks...
__________________
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 20:11   #36
Registered User
 
Want to sail's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: St. Marys Georgia
Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Posts: 49
Images: 1
Re: Wow, what a day

Winward Sailing has 2 locations. One in Jacksonville Fl. and one in Fernandina Beach. Fernandina Beach, were we took classes is at the Northeast tip of florida. Right on the Ga/Fl border. We took 101,103 and 104. Which gave us our bareboat cert. We anchored off Cumberland Island one of our overnights on the boat and woke up to seeing the wild horses on the island. our classes were around $2,000 for both of us but that was in 07. You would need to contact them to see what it cost now. the owner is Tony Jones and they have a website that you can google and check out.
__________________
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 21:42   #37
Registered User
 
dropanchorfor3's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Florida
Boat: Still looking
Posts: 90
Re: Wow, what a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want to sail View Post
Winward Sailing has 2 locations. One in Jacksonville Fl. and one in Fernandina Beach. Fernandina Beach, were we took classes is at the Northeast tip of florida. Right on the Ga/Fl border. We took 101,103 and 104. Which gave us our bareboat cert. We anchored off Cumberland Island one of our overnights on the boat and woke up to seeing the wild horses on the island. our classes were around $2,000 for both of us but that was in 07. You would need to contact them to see what it cost now. the owner is Tony Jones and they have a website that you can google and check out.
Thank you your awsome...
__________________

__________________
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What day is it? MarkJ The Sailor's Confessional 52 25-06-2011 21:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.