Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 03:47   #46

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Would you go for this 65 footer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Aww.. Come on Polux
gotta let someone else win occasionally.. even the All Blacks let the Aussies win once in a while.. its called Sportsmanship...

As for couples handling big boats in the Med.. Easy peasy.. Its flat calm 90% of the time April to August.. don't see it much in the Atlantic though.. they stick to the geriatrics playground.
I guess that's why for the Porto won 3-1 over Bayern of Munich to the Champions league quarter-final. I guess that it is also why the Britts have note any team on the quarter finals and Iberia has two?

Regarding couples and big boats, med can be quite nasty. More than one curcumnavigator told me that the nastiest whether they got was on the med. Regarding modern big boats adapted to short crew sailing it is not really a problem if big downwind sails are not used. I guess the bigger problem is marina maneuvering without help (in and out of the berth).
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 03:55   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would you go for this 65 footer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I guess that's why for the Porto won 3-1 over Bayern of Munich to the Champions league quarter-final. I guess that it is also why the Britts have note any team on the quarter finals and Iberia has two?

Regarding couples and big boats, med can be quite nasty. More than one curcumnavigator told me that the nastiest whether they got was on the med. Regarding modern big boats adapted to short crew sailing it is not really a problem if big downwind sails are not used. I guess the bigger problem is marina maneuvering without help (in and out of the berth).
Thats why I like pissing off Man United fans..
Barcelona.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 05:26   #48

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here's a 65 footer owned by the folks who publish Latitude 38 that most people on this forum have known about for years. I can provide more if you like, but hey.... why don't you do your own homework?

That boat is fully crewed as it is in every video of it on the net.

You have proven nothing.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 06:47   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Name one cat of 67ft that is crewed by a couple - capable or otherwise.
Not a cat but a trimaran:

If he can cross solo the Atlantic at racing pace on an over 131ft multihull with huge sails don't you think he would be able to sail solo a smaller cat?

Here you have a young women sailing solo circumnavigating non stop at speed on 121ft catamaran

Sure, with two is a lot easier and much easier on a cruising cat adapted for solo sailing then on a maxi cat racer but even so I agree that demands experienced sailors...but there are lots of them around, even cruising ones.
Old 16-04-2015, 07:14   #50

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Kenomac,
Your boat is sensible and an excellent choice for a couple.The figures you give for its operation are quite accurate. However you can not go by value of vessel alone. You are comparing apples to oranges. The 65' cat is a much larger vessel, far more interior volume, far more exterior surface area. I know from over 30 years of running large yachts that a couple would be hard pressed to even keep it clean! Yes an experienced couple could sail the boat, they would have to stay on top of everything but it could be done. I always like to keep a big boat at anchor, but that is not always possible due to conditions, rules, and owner preferences. That said docking a big cat with just a couple on board under funky conditions could get very interesting. Back to the costs of maintenance, it is simply a totally different creature, all systems are larger and more complex. The idea of cruising is to have fun, not be a slave to your boat. That said we no nothing about the OPs financial situation, which is the bottom line.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
...I always like to keep a big boat at anchor, but that is not always possible due to conditions, rules, and owner preferences. That said docking a big cat with just a couple on board under funky conditions could get very interesting. Back to the costs of maintenance, it is simply a totally different creature, all systems are larger and more complex. The idea of cruising is to have fun, not be a slave to your boat. That said we no nothing about the OPs financial situation, which is the bottom line.
I think you have a point here. A cat has a lot more windage than a mono and putting a really big one on a marina on difficult conditions with only two should be a lot harder than with a similarly sized monohull.

For clearing what I mean, yes it is possible to sail a big cat with an experienced couple but that does not make sense: Lots of work and for what? A space that is probably much bigger than what a couple needs? Lots of cleaning and maintenance (if one does not want nobody else aboard) that's no fun.

That's why on really big cats you almost always have a crew with more than two. Not because it is impossible to sail them with only two but because of the extra stress of sailing them that way and the big amount of work involved for just a couple. It just does not make sense and that's why cats of that size have always space for crew, not only guests but also one or two crew sailors or one sailor and a housekeeper.

One that can afford the costs of purchase and maintenance of such boat will also be able to afford that...but would they want to cruise like that? It would not make my style (even if I had the money) and therefore I would chose a smaller boat.
Old 16-04-2015, 08:23   #52
cruiser

I don't really give a rats a$$ what people do with their money. The question or rather misguided statements which keep coming up on this forum like "the annual maintenance cost of a larger boat is 10% of the cost of the boat" and that "large cats over 60ft can't be handled by a cruising couple without hired crew." Of course I've paraphrased the last one.

I'm just calling BS to both. Large cats can be sailing by a cruising couple if they want, and there's no way larger boats require 10% of the cost of the boat annually to be maintained.

I'm lactose and BS intolerant, so I just like to correct false statements when I see them on the forum.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:41   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Not a cat but a trimaran:

If he can cross solo the Atlantic at racing pace on an over 131ft multihull with huge sails don't you think he would be able to sail solo a smaller cat?

Here you have a young women sailing solo circumnavigating non stop at speed on 121ft catamaran

Sure, with two is a lot easier and much easier on a cruising cat adapted for solo sailing then on a maxi cat racer but even so I agree that demands experienced sailors...but there are lots of them around, even cruising ones.
Those are racers with professional crew. Different ball game.

Do you reckon a single hander, professional or not, could dock one of those things?
Old 16-04-2015, 08:59   #54

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Would it worth the trouble? And how much trouble do you reckon? Comments please, thanks in advance...
2009 CATANA 65 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Looking at the responses to this post - I suppose what we have here is a classical "Troll" post. That is, putting up a nonsensical, non-realistic post about something that virtually every C.F. member cannot afford or would not even consider acquiring. And the result of the post is a thread that wanders about and contains just about everything - Kind of like saying "Gee, if I was POTUS I would . . . ." You aren't, you can't be, it is a nonsense statement that invites pages of ranting and pontificating about anything and everything - except - serious discussions about realistic situations that C.F. members would be involved in while cruising. Maybe the post should be moved to the "humor" section.

Then again, there may be some "socially redeeming value" here in the post in that it will result in a rapid escalation of the "hits" counting system that determines or helps determine how much C.F. can charge for their advertisements.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 09:28   #55

Much can be learned by checking OP's posting history. A certain pattern emerges.

Name:   images.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  6.2 KB
Old 16-04-2015, 10:45   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Those are racers with professional crew. Different ball game.

Do you reckon a single hander, professional or not, could dock one of those things?
Funny you call crew to a single sailor

Not a different ball game, they are just very good sailors and their boats are much more difficult to sail then a cruising monohull of the same size (if adapted to solo sailing). Not any comparison in what regards the difficulty in sailing a 65ft modern cruising cat.

Off course they can dock them if they have enough space for it. They are 130/ 140ft boats with a huge beam. A 65ft cat is much easy to dock since it is not only half the size as it has two engines and proportionally a much smaller beam. Probably it has a bow thruster too.
Old 16-04-2015, 14:15   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So you're still shopping for a boat, Mehmet? Man, your life is going to pass you by! I see you joined in 2010! Just buy one!
OCD is a very very very hard thing to live with, especially when you're trying to decide what you'll be living with!!!
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 17:59   #58
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
OCD is a very very very hard thing to live with, especially when you're trying to decide what you'll be living with!!!

I take it your not married :-)
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 18:38   #59

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I suppose what we have here is a classical "Troll" post.
I agree. If you need to ask the OPs question, you are not qualified to understand the answer...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 02:43   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The cost estimates for maintenance and upkeep on this forum for larger boats are so out of line with reality. Our boat had an original cost of over 1.4 million, so according to the experts on this forum, my annual cost should be around $140,000 USD.

Well, I must be doing something right because.... we cruise 5 months of the year in the Med (Sardinia and Corsica this year) and pay less than $16,000 for everything, fuel, haul out and storage in a first class yard, Pantaneus insurance, food, upgrades etc. This year we even added a Bamar furing system for the spinnaker and a second spectra watermaker, which are both included in the $16,000.

I really don't know where you guys come up with your silly numbers.
My theory for this reasoning is as follows :

For a USD 50k boat, USD 50k cost can be expected including berthing fees, general upkeep etc.. Since they calculate this rate directly as 10%, for a 1.5M boat, 150k cost appears on the projection. I'm not saying that a bigger boat is cheap to maintain, but with this type of calculation; when the boat is new, let's say 2M, the cost will be 200k per year, but when you buy it secondhand at 1M, the monthly cost automatically drops to 100k per month! And after -let's say 20- years and the final used price around 250k, that boat should magically cost 25k per year, although everything on the boat breaks up all the time and needs constant attention...

On CF, same thing applies for the size of the boat; as soon as you pass the 35ft mark (recent years this has been elevated to 40), the boat is a "work trap", should be handled with only "professional crew" and million times more expensive to maintain.

I've made this comment before and I'll repeat myself. I'm 6'3", 200lbs and stronger than I've ever been. I can not manhandle even a 20 footer in rough seas if the winches go bust, so all this hatred for bigger boats is really not logical.

IMHO; bigger is only easier to handle due to redundant winches, extra equipment that can not be found on boats smaller than 35 feet easily (bow and stern trusters, electric winches), dryer during sailing and etc.
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote