Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 17:03   #31

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
Re: Would you buy a previously capsized cat?

well I just did...the cat flipped thanks to a hurricane....many, many years ago...it's been neglected for some time, and some of the cosmetic repairs are failing...but hell, it's a cat...they usually get flipped via poor judgement...or extreme conditions...as others have said wiring, woodwork and standard survey...but hell, the rig survived, that is a great testament if you ask me..OTOH at $200k you might find something that hasn't been flipped...if it's something you are going to agonize over or worry about
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 21:51   #32

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

There's quite a few more on yachthub also Peter Snell is a great guy to chat with and usually will give you info on any boat you find. He does say not to buy a "modified" Easy as they are normally a lot heavier than originally designed.

Perter Snell's website Home

Yachts & Boats for Sale Search Results | Yachthub
ghendoaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 00:44   #33

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

One of the cats we looked at when we were buying ours was one that had rolled on the Wide Bay Bar. When considering the price they wanted compared to ones that had not been rolled/submerged, no matter how it was repaired, we decided that it was 30% overpriced. Have you looked at similar ones that have not been damaged? To me the price seems high considering the engines, the fuel capacity etc.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:28   #34

Boat: Fusion 40

The "Easy" boats are really good craft and I would recommend them any day. However you have some big doubts about this one and it appears to be fully priced when you would expect some discount for the unknown risks of condition. I understand Peter Snell is very approachable and may be worth a call. He loves talking about his boats.
Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:05   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions and expertise once again! Given that this would be my first boat and that it's for my family I will be staying away from it. Too many questions that I don't think can be answered.

Thanks everyone.
smart decision.

I'm OK with a project boat, however it needs to pay off at the end.
Any project boat that would I buy into needs to be priced very low. Low enough that the finished boat is worth considerably more than boat price plus all cost for repairs and upgrades. At the end I would want some profit for all my efforts and the risk.

With a flipped cat there is by far too many risks involved both technically and with regards to resale value that I would want to be involved.

I would possibly consider this type of deal if the boat was sold for what the parts are worth, but for 200k AUD? No way!
For that money you can get a decent boat that is a few years older but has not been flipped, has never seen major repairs, and which has a predictable resale value.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 16:51   #36

Boat: Leopard 39

If you're really interested, find a competent surveyor in the area and have a detailed survey done. He (or she) will be able to see what was done to rehabilitate the vessel, tell you what wasn't done that perhaps should have been, estimate the true market value of the boat, and tell you what problems you might encounter if you buy it relative to the water incursion. The capsize is a curve ball, get an expert on your side.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, size