Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 15:55   #1

Would you buy a +20 years old cat?

Hi all.
I was looking for my dream boat and found a nice cat of a quite important designer. The cat (a 48') has some work to do, specially inside because the actual owner did the hulls job. Asking price in 100k euros, so not a bargain but might be ok for a 48 feet cat. My only concern is if it worth buying a cat so old (end eighties) and if once i fix everything might revalue or not.
Any suggestions? Thanx for all feedback.
lifeislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:22   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Depends on the boat. When we sold our Cherokee 35 she was 32 years old and in better shape than boats I've seen that were less than 10'years old.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:55   #3

Re: Would you buy a +20 years old cat?

If the boat is structurally good on the whole and she has the features you want, why not?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:09   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Provided she is:

a) sound, or else:
b) I have the funds to bring her to the desired condition.

Why not.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:25   #5

Thanx guys.
I was talking with the owner and he said that he did all the needed jobs to the hulls including antiosmosis treatment in 2007 (no delamination issues) and full paint in 2009. Brand new engines. The interior needs some nice job to be done, but i can fix a schedule and do it confortably with my funds. Of course i'll make a survey to check the cat before going through the purchase......i just was not so confident about the age of the vessel, but if you say that the age by itself might not be an issue, i'll go on with the negotiation.
BTW: it's an Erik Lerouge cat.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11   #6

Lerouge is a great designer, but keep in mind that many strides have been made in the last twenty years. Since cats aren't all that old, 20 years is an eternity. There were flaws (or at least things that got changed) in the early designs, like bridgedeck clearance, hull shape, engine placement, deck layout, etc. Personally, I would be very careful with a twenty year old cat, though it may be just fine. Depending on your budget, there may be other newer choices.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:39   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

100 K Euros ($123,000) is really affordable for a 48' cat. I would like to point out that most homebuilts used epoxy and that's a good thing. If they used ply then that may not be a good thing although plenty of older boats than yours are still afloat. Assuming that the boats done some serious ocean sailing then I wouldn't worry to much about the structural integrity issue.
A new engine replacement runs about $200 to $400 per 1 horsepower if done by a mechanic including all the extras that pop up. Those new engines could be worth a substantial portion of the value of the boat. Sails will run you $10 to $20 a square foot so look at those carefully.
Ocean Catamarans 49' was a Lerouge design and sell for around $300K. He also designed Mantas. Good luck.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...9-a-18708.html
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42   #8
smj

Must be the LeRouge in Spain? Beautiful boat. If it was well built and maintained I dont think you'll go wrong with a LeRouge design. Maybe it's just me but I think there were a lot more desirable designs back in 1992'than now. Seems like the catamaran designers nowadays are trying cram 20'pounds of crap in a 10 pound bag.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I've looked into purchasing a cat, even used they are not cheap.

I would base any decision to buy on the results of a good survey. That is a good hunk of change to depend on an internet opinion.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07   #10
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
100 K Euros ($123,000) is really affordable for a 48' cat. I would like to point out that most homebuilts used epoxy and that's a good thing. If they used ply then that may not be a good thing although plenty of older boats than yours are still afloat. Assuming that the boats done some serious ocean sailing then I wouldn't worry to much about the structural integrity issue.
A new engine replacement runs about $200 to $400 per 1 horsepower if done by a mechanic including all the extras that pop up. Those new engines could be worth a substantial portion of the value of the boat. Sails will run you $10 to $20 a square foot so look at those carefully.
Ocean Catamarans 49' was a Lerouge design and sell for around $300K. He also designed Mantas. Good luck.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...9-a-18708.html

I doubt Eric Lerouge will take claim to the Manta or Ocean Cat as being his design. It's my understanding that the same guy splashed molds of two Lerouge designed cats to come up with the Manta and Ocean Cat. Seems Mr. Lerouge didn't get compensated for the design. Rightfully so he isn't to happy about it.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Must be the LeRouge in Spain? Beautiful boat. If it was well built and maintained I dont think you'll go wrong with a LeRouge design. Maybe it's just me but I think there were a lot more desirable designs back in 1992'than now. Seems like the catamaran designers nowadays are trying cram 20'pounds of crap in a 10 pound bag.
Right that one. Find it beautiful and yes i agree that many older vessels have a design that i like more than many new ones.

Sand Crab: yes, already confirmed that engines are new and sails ok....looks like really the big things are in order.
Honestly i was never thinking about a 48' cat, for the price and because i really don't need it, but i liked this one alot.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:56   #12

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Link?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Director G View Post
Lerouge is a great designer, but keep in mind that many strides have been made in the last twenty years. Since cats aren't all that old, 20 years is an eternity. There were flaws (or at least things that got changed) in the early designs, like bridgedeck clearance, hull shape, engine placement, deck layout, etc. Personally, I would be very careful with a twenty year old cat, though it may be just fine. Depending on your budget, there may be other newer choices.

At least with respect to Catanas (not a le Rouge design, I know), the bridges have gone lower, the space less well thought out, and the boats heavier. Newer is not necessarily better; that depends greatly on the individual boat.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53   #14
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I just bought a 26 year old cat, so am probably biased.
From what I've been reading the people who buy brand new boats are having just about as many issues as those buying older boats.

I think it's the nature of boats in general.
Old 06-08-2012, 13:38   #15
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab
Link?
Sailboatlistings.com