Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2015, 02:33   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Re: Would love to hear the cons and pros of ALUMINIUM vs FIBERGLASS catamaran Sailboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Seawind claim "Osmosis preventative vinyl ester resins being exclusively used throughout the hull construction"

However the details of the hull construction state only the outer layers between the gelcoat and the core are vinyl ester. The rest is polyester.
It doesn't say "outer layers" It says "Vinyl Ester (Modified epoxy) resin laminate of the hulls between the gelcoat and the foam core." No mention of ONLY OUTER LAYERS

Hulls are yinyl ester - as stated. the reference to polyester "elsewhere" is decks and topsides.

You are most welcome to visit the factory and have a look for yourself, I have, a number of times.

Your specs quote is from the 1250 - as it was when built in Australia, newer models are showing newer specs - eg.g 1160 Lite :
Quote:
Infused Vinyl Ester (Modified epoxy) resin laminate of the entire hull laminate.
The XL2 specs also reference all vinyl ester
Quote:
Vinyl Ester resin is used in manufacture of the hulls for the fibreglass laminate between the gelcoat and the foam core
The 1160 Deluxe - also says
Quote:
Infused Vinyl Ester (Modified epoxy) resin laminate of the entire hull laminate.
Its an interpretation thing I suppose, I will ensure the factory make it clear for the single spec item that you were able to find that left any doubt about the resin used.

And No history any any osmosis ever, and thats on boats now over 25 years old.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:55   #47

Re: Would love to hear the cons and pros of ALUMINIUM vs FIBERGLASS catamaran Sailboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
It may be non technical, but it is important property if you hit a container or get stranded on reef .
I don't deny it's important, I'm just not precisely sure what "it" you're referring to.

Quote:
We could debate the issue technically discussing the plastic range etc of the materials, but I think looking at these photos of a metal boats illustrates the point better:
The higher yield strength that you'd have with the same mass of FRP means that an FRP hull taking the same hits may not have even reached its plastic range, and may come through looking unscathed

Quote:
Many cruising boats use uncored fibreglass for the the hull structure. There is much debate about the pros and cons between cored and uncored construction. The elimination of the risk of delamination and/or water penetration into the core still makes uncored fibreglass a preferred choice for many, especially below the waterline.
That depends what you mean by "many" I suppose. In any case, uncored FRPs would be a very poor choice for anyone who cares about performance.

Quote:
It depends on definition of fair. 3mm is not generally considered acceptable by the standards expected when purchasing an expensive cruising yacht. It is very rare to see 3mm aluminium used in crusing yacht for this reason.
Plate thickness will be according to strength requirements. 3mm is available and suitable when required, so being forced to use 4mm plate isn't a good scapegoat for aluminium boats being heavier.

Quote:
Fibreglass yacht hulls are typically produced in a mold in polyester resin. It is a very cost effective way of producing hulls that is not applicable to large commercial boats.
Certainly that affects things when you start talking about large runs of the same vessel, but the higher material costs means a higher marginal price for FRP boats.

There's a very good reason we see so many FRP boats: performance.
And there's a very good reason FRP hasn't made aluminium boats (almost) extinct: cost.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:10   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Aluminium can be quickish, The mumby 48's that I have been on have certainly been genuine 200 mile per day boats. Of course being 48 foot helps. And being careful with "crap" on board helps, a well built Kerr, Easton, Mumby in the 15-16 metre range will be (indeed is/are) lighter than a number of the more obese FRP cats.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:50   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Hulls are yinyl ester - as stated. the reference to polyester "elsewhere" is decks and topsides.
Thanks for the clarification.

If I understand correctly you are positive that Seawind use vinyl ester on the layer between the foam core and the inside of the hull not just on the area between the gelcoat and core as they state on their hull specifications?

Did they also do this on the Australian built boats?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:27   #50

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
In any case, uncored FRPs would be a very poor choice for anyone who cares about performance.
I will say this once again. All or most of the early Outremers were solid uncored fiberglass. They were and still are considered some of the fastest production cats ever built.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:47   #51

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I will say this once again. All or most of the early Outremers were solid uncored fiberglass. They were and still are considered some of the fastest production cats ever built.

That's true. But would not work in today's market as they had to keep the interior barebones to compensate for the weight of the hulls. Some of the deck structure is cored.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:39   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Unlike most production cats they aren't fat.

Outremers don't change the point - they would be lighter if they used a cored laminate.

Tags
catamaran, fiberglass, sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: