Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 02:33   #31

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Im struggling to get a handle on human thoughts and feelings when we see something that takes us back to the basics of humanity, and in a primeaval way, we yearn for it, to return to the simplicity of basics, yet we also recoil in shock and find the prospect of it traumatic.

We hate the city life and cant wait to go camping, backpacking in the hills and a log cabin is a dream, but if the Grizzly Adams lifestyle was there for the taking, we find a million reasons why we couldnt do it.

$14k is @ 10k sterling. There isnt much you can buy for 10k these days which would give the fun and opportunity this cat can offer but its a certain person who could embrace and thrive life lived that way.
I have a dream to live on a southsea lsland beach, build a Swiss Family Robinson style bamboo beach house and live on fish and coconuts, yet If I were washed up there, Im sure i might feel differently.
Its about choice. We want what we cant have yet reject it when theres no choice.
Old 06-10-2009, 14:25   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

...We hate the city life and cant wait to go camping, backpacking in the hills and a log cabin is a dream...

...I have a dream to live on a southsea lsland beach, build a Swiss Family Robinson style bamboo beach house and live on fish and coconuts...
I say "...we say we hate ...". I believe most people I know love the city and this is why they live there. Sort of like a sad shocker to me, but then again it leaves more outback untouched for me and my fellow travelers!

And the best beaches are in the Netherlands / Denmark / Baltic, really; and most people (say 99% or so) do not want coconut and fish (which I would not like either if it were to be my sole diet) - they want red steaming MEAT and BEER (and SEX !!!). You can buy coconuts and fish in London, but if you are in an uninhabited south seas island then the fish and coconut will be your only diet (and you will be very lucky if you can catch/reach them, clean them and eat them - RAW!). I will not even comment on sex - we are dreaming of an uninhabited island, aren't we.

If you like a good first hand account of the tropical / crusoe lifestyle must read "Green was the Eart on the Seventh Day".

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 17:36   #33

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
Good on Him,the man is living proof that it doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg to live the dream
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 18:06   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I just got done reading Polynesian Voyages again. The first time about 10 years ago. Hopefully he's a wayfinder too.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 18:22   #35

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Weedeater64, It's very difficult to make a profit on a 1 off boat. Buy someone's 1 off who's moving up. They often can be bought for less than the cost of materials. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 20:26   #36

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Im struggling to get a handle on human thoughts and feelings when we see something that takes us back to the basics of humanity, and in a primeaval way, we yearn for it, ................. yet If I were washed up there, Im sure i might feel differently.
Its about choice. We want what we cant have yet reject it when theres no choice.
Exceptionally well expressed! Dreams and reality can be conflicting.
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 22:59   #37

I got a pahi 42 thats not quite ruffing it. Its not a condomaran either. Its for sale!
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 07:23   #38

So does anyone know of a design of similar concept and construction, but shorter? Say around 28 to 32 feet.
weedeater64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 07:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
So does anyone know of a design of similar concept and construction, but shorter? Say around 28 to 32 feet.
have You checked www.wharram.com He has several designs in that size range though none with the crab claw rig...off the top of my head the only other designs with that rig are 17 ft and 24 ft don't think he has released plans for the 24ft yet
Old 13-10-2009, 07:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by creakyboy View Post
have You checked www.wharram.com He has several designs in that size range though none with the crab claw rig...off the top of my head the only other designs with that rig are 17 ft and 24 ft don't think he has released plans for the 24ft yet
I should be getting his design catalog any day. I think most of his designs are for plywood and grp. He also has the "classic" line which I assume is carvel. I think this one is the only stripper. I am also interested in his tiki 26 and 30 and the tanenui which is a classic, the tiki's being his more modern designs.

I really like this one for construction method, rig, concept, I just think 30 feet might be plenty, and that much cheaper.

weedeater64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 07:57   #41

Yep, I think the Child of the Sea is the only strip plank design,although i dont think its in his design book,unless he has updated it since i got mine early this year,gotta say the Tiki 30 would prob be the one i'd build if i was going to build
Old 13-10-2009, 12:12   #42

Boat: Privilege 37
Accomodation on a 30 ft wharram is nearer to the space expected in a mono, as the hulls tend to be narrow and the bridgedeck used as a day cabin.