Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-04-2009, 20:21   #16

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
How to Upload photos???

When I clicked the "insert image" icon it asked for an URL/...what do I need to do to post a pix???

Old 20-04-2009, 21:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Beautiful catamaran. This sailor/builder must have Polynesian blood flowing in his veins.

Many modern yachts are a fashion statement, an extension of an image oriented lifestyle. They are not built for adventure.

This looks like a yacht built for adventure. It's meant to go to sea on long voyages for long periods of time on small amounts of money. No fashion statement here. The man who built this yacht knows what he wants, knows what he is doing, and knows where he is going. I congratulate him.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 04:58   #18

Nice daysailor -- but for a cruiser it would be better to have shelter from the sun, wind, and rain. There are days when I think our spray dodger is the best investment on the boat, and it's a relief to be able duck under and still being able to navigate/sail without going below.

I respect his spirit and admit feeling some envy for his lifestyle, but not for the boat. Maybe he has some sort of bridgedeck tent?
Old 21-04-2009, 06:11   #19

Windhorze -- the picture has to be resident somewhere on the internet -- Flicker or Photobucket are two, popular, free photo storage sites. The url of the photos location is then inserted between the url marks that appear when you hit the picture button here.
DGC
Old 17-06-2009, 13:59   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Today, 'Lectronic Latitude posted an update on Glenn Tieman and his self-built cat Manu Rere. For those dubious souls who expressed concerns about whether such a vessel (in Southern California at the time) was suitable for an ocean passage, well, Glenn's in the Marquesas at the moment, and having a wonderful time.

The last line from the update, quoting Glenn, says it all, " 'I'm having a great time in the Marquesas, but email is very expensive,' wrote the thrifty Tieman. 'Will write more in a few months, perhaps from Samoa.' "

To read the update, and see another picture of Glenn and Manu Rere, go to:

Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing & Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 17-06-2009, 14:22   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Check out the dinghy.
Old 17-06-2009, 14:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Check out the dinghy.
Simple catamaran. Simple dinghy.
Old 27-06-2009, 16:46   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't see the point of self-induced torture by taking a vessel like this out on the ocean for months. Sure, he might survive...but why? What is he trying to prove and to who?
I never understood this mentality. The whole point on being on a sailboat is to get closer to the elements. It is not torture at all, that is why people camp for fun. It feels good to be out doors. And when it gets wet there is plenty of room on a 38 ft cat of any kind for a towel and a dry pair of cloths. Last I checked that stuff is free. Sounds like a ton of fun. David I mean no offense by this at all.
Old 27-06-2009, 19:07   #24

Boat: Searunner 31
My first impression was it's clean, good lines, well maintained.

It wouldn't be my choice but that's not the point. Wharrams are proven cruisers & it looks like Glenn is doing well with it.
Old 28-06-2009, 23:09   #25

Boat: Wants to build 42'Horstman Trimaran
This is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and a example of the simplicity of go cheap and go now!!! ...the man is out there, whilst others are not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-10-04_9354_Tama Moana.tif.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	8754  
Old 29-06-2009, 03:34   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Like all such craft, it is much more capable than the people crewing. One of the principle design features of modern cruising cats is the ability to shelter from the elements - and thus able to withstand the bad weather better.

The numerous stories of yachts abandoned, and later found floating happily months later 1000s of miles away are a good indication of this.

Personally I prefer the amenities and comfort of the modern cruising cat maybe I am a wuss , but I suspect there are many more who appreciate a comfortable style, rather than the minimalist version.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:41   #27

Glenn has a semi blog on wharrams site. amazing trip and its not self induced torture some people strive in those conditions and I would feel safer on his boat than alot of Condomarans I have been on. I however and not single and have a wife so, I went with the 42 ft pahi captain cook model wharram and its alot more comfy and incredibly safe. I have had 9 guests at one time.

BTW its for sale
Old 06-10-2009, 00:09   #28

I love that boat. Just sent off for Wharram's design catalogue. I think what I'm going to do is build one of his or Woods smaller boats and head down the river and explore the gulf and eastern coast for a while. Then sell it and build a larger one, and repeat until I get the size I want.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
I love that boat. Just sent off for Wharram's design catalogue. I think what I'm going to do is build one of his or Woods smaller boats and head down the river and explore the gulf and eastern coast for a while. Then sell it and build a larger one, and repeat until I get the size I want.

You need to factor in the time and stress on the family required for the build, and then reassess whether building 3-4 boats is really the right approach, rather than sitting down and analysing exactly what you need based on a detailed projection of your intentions over the next 10-20 years.

The Eclipse and Transit are both worth a detailed look.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:10   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
You need to factor in the time and stress on the family required for the build, and then reassess whether building 3-4 boats is really the right approach, rather than sitting down and analysing exactly what you need based on a detailed projection of your intentions over the next 10-20 years.

The Eclipse and Transit are both worth a detailed look.
Well my thinking is to turn a profit on each boat I sell and gain knowledge and experience along the way,and help fund the next larger one. Too starting small will get me a floating home sooner rather than later to get out of arkansas and to the coast were I want to be, sooner rather than later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: