Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 16:27   #16
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Last month when cruising along side with the Brisbane to Gladstone race fleet, we faced unfavourable conditions off the Breaksea Spit (North Fraser Island) with 5kts of wind and the 3-4 kt Great Australian current on our nose. Our tack angles were more like 120 degrees then.
Be thankful you could tack!! Some of the boats barely moved in hours. Having enough speed to tack would have been nirvana.

Those figures are pretty good, in fact very good, have you thought about joining the MYCQ and doing some of their races, the OMR handicap system will work for you, you may be surprised how well you do.
__________________

__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 16:58   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,940
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Something that often gets omitted/misunderstood on cats is the difference between "tacking" angle and "sailing" angle. Most production cats have a relatively broad tacking angle (100+ degrees) but can be driven up closer to windward once they build some boat speed.
__________________

__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 17:13   #18
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

This really sucks as it leaves me with nothing negative to say about Lagoons performance Really good tacking angles, I'm impressed
__________________
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 22:10   #19
Registered User
 
2Wind's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 312
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Be thankful you could tack!! Some of the boats barely moved in hours. Having enough speed to tack would have been nirvana.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	81504

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	81505
Factor, we spent 6 hours drifting with the fleet in dead flat and calm conditions just inside the continental shelf off Breaksea. It was beautiful, but after dark, far too many navigation lights moving around close at hand for my taste. Being in the cruising division, I turned to the iron sail and made way for Lady Musgrave instead of Gladstone - no too much a loss in that destination!
__________________
"Second Wind"
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 22:29   #20
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

You weren't the only one who turned the engine on. In fact any boat with sufficient fuel on board probably did the same.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 22:50   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: BC Canada
Boat: O'day 27
Posts: 119
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

ive sailed an old racing cross trimaran with a 5 foot fin keel and it would sail almost directly into the wind, it was pretty awesome.
__________________
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 02:37   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,712
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngson View Post
ive sailed an old racing cross trimaran with a 5 foot fin keel and it would sail almost directly into the wind, it was pretty awesome.
Cough! Cough!
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 03:44   #23
Registered User
 
2Wind's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 312
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngson View Post
ive sailed an old racing cross trimaran with a 5 foot fin keel and it would sail almost directly into the wind, it was pretty awesome.
Although is seems like the you are sailing right into the wind, its just a perception. Take the AC72's for instance, as there is precious little that is faster and can tack. It is said that they can sail at 16 degrees to apparent wind which is phenomenal. That would feel like it is right in your face. Nevertheless, they sail so fast (SOG), more than two times wind speed, that even at angles this close to the wind (apparent), they are still near 40 -45 degrees to the true wind angle. So they still tack through an 85 odd degree arc across the wind, but in so doing, overall, their VMG to windward is fabulous, more because of their SOG rather than their angle of sail.
__________________
"Second Wind"
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 07:17   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,940
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Although is seems like the you are sailing right into the wind, its just a perception. Take the AC72's for instance, as there is precious little that is faster and can tack. It is said that they can sail at 16 degrees to apparent wind which is phenomenal. That would feel like it is right in your face. Nevertheless, they sail so fast (SOG), more than two times wind speed, that even at angles this close to the wind (apparent), they are still near 40 -45 degrees to the true wind angle. So they still tack through an 85 odd degree arc across the wind, but in so doing, overall, their VMG to windward is fabulous, more because of their SOG rather than their angle of sail.
We used to use a similar strategy racing Corsair tris. SOG is so fast and so much speed is lost during a tack that it is generally a better strategy to focus on maximizing SOG and not worry so much about distance travelled....you can make it up really fast at 20 knots.

And on high performance boats like these, the boat speed generates such dramatic shifts in apparent wind that the sailing angle relative to true wind may not be very close (acute). Apparent wind angle is almost never aft of beam regardless ot TWA (even if its dead down wind). So boat speed becomes the key. Very different than sailing any production cat.
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 11:01   #25
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
We used to use a similar strategy racing Corsair tris. SOG is so fast and so much speed is lost during a tack that it is generally a better strategy to focus on maximizing SOG and not worry so much about distance travelled....you can make it up really fast at 20 knots.

And on high performance boats like these, the boat speed generates such dramatic shifts in apparent wind that the sailing angle relative to true wind may not be very close (acute). Apparent wind angle is almost never aft of beam regardless ot TWA (even if its dead down wind). So boat speed becomes the key. Very different than sailing any production cat.
Not sure what type of electronics you guys have but my Garmin not only has SOG but something called VMG. Matter of fact any race boat I have ever seen has VMG.

I always pay a lot more attention to VMG than SOG. My production Seawind often hits double digits in 15 knots of wind and you can make up a lot of ground at ten knots.

Thought everybody knew in any cat, production or otherwise, you were suppose to fall off till you got the best VMG and ignore SOG.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 21:30   #26
Registered User
 
2Wind's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 312
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Click image for larger version

Name:	jerrymaguire1948575i.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	81569
__________________
"Second Wind"
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 21:48   #27
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,450
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

In order for visual inspection of tracks to be valid, one must be VERY sure that there is zero current involved. Even fractional knots can embellish (or disfigure!) those angles over the ground to a surprising degree.

But it is fun to look at them, and discard all the ones that look bad!

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:49   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,940
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure what type of electronics you guys have but my Garmin not only has SOG but something called VMG. Matter of fact any race boat I have ever seen has VMG.

I always pay a lot more attention to VMG than SOG. My production Seawind often hits double digits in 15 knots of wind and you can make up a lot of ground at ten knots.

Thought everybody knew in any cat, production or otherwise, you were suppose to fall off till you got the best VMG and ignore SOG.

Gee Tohm, I'm jus an ol' M'sippi boy. Don't know much bout them fancy three letter wurds and new fangled electronic stuff.
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 08:17   #29
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Windward Performance - Genuine Tack Angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Gee Tohm, I'm jus an ol' M'sippi boy. Don't know much bout them fancy three letter wurds and new fangled electronic stuff.
No more sitting at the cool kids table for you.

Google is your friend.

But how did you get this far in a thread asking folks to post pix of their GPS plotters if you don't know what GPS means.



__________________

__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wind

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AP Steering to Wind Angles? Sabbatical II Marine Electronics 10 29-05-2012 18:23
Greater Angles when Reefed FraidNot Seamanship & Boat Handling 20 20-05-2011 17:00
Head Placement . . . Comfort at All Angles of Heel Maineiac_sailor Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 22-02-2011 12:57
Bridle Triangle Angles Stella Polaris Anchoring & Mooring 21 11-01-2010 21:57
cat jibing angles cal40john Multihull Sailboats 2 18-06-2007 04:58



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.