Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2004, 17:39   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
wind vane self steering

In my reading I have been seeing the topic of wind vane self steering. Power consumption is a real consideration and that element was part of the reasoning of the last article I read. I have auto helm but it is hydraulic motor driven and a 12 volt drain. I am interested in other skippers experience with wind steering and specifically as it might apply to cats. I know zip so anything will be food for thought. I have a 1993 Prout Snow Goose. I can access the rudder post on the port side through a port for an emergency manual rudder. It seems a good point for attachment and wouldn’t preclude but rather enhance the ability to have an emergency tiller. Thoughts ? Experiences?

Gary
Old 22-12-2004, 20:30   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here is a few posts from the archives that may help.

http://cruisersforum.com/showthread....ight=wind+vane

.................................................. ....................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 02:12   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
When I started investigating this through the multihull forum, I was warned off this solution for a cat by a number of respected contributers. The problem is that the cat accelerates to fast for the windvane to compensate, and in some conditions the results can be very dangerous. I suspect this why you never see a wind vane attached to a modern performance multihull or even fast ligtweight half boat. Bets sailing is downhill anyway, and the wind vane is poor in those situations. Best solution is one of the new gyro stabilised raymarine s2 systems. Talk to modern racing short handed people and they reckon these are better than human reactions, and can mean an addition 3 knots boat speed on a big boat!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 03:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wind Vane steering, of some sort, is usually considered essential for Offshore Passagemaking. This is due to (your stated) electrical power considerations, and the need for time “off” the helm, over longer distances.
Notwithstanding, a wind vane is an expensive and intrusive (transom “clutter”) addition to a Coastal Cruiser (Island Hopper), intending (mainly) shorter passages.
HTH
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 05:08   #5

I am also interested in a windvane for my Prout. However, as Gord mentioned, they come with a price of not only money, but bulk and weight on the stern. I am not sure the acceleration problem would apply to a Prout. water sailing">Blue Water Sailing had an article about windvanes on performance boats that indicated success, but not in all situations. It was written by world cruiser Evans Starzinger, who hangs out on the Cruising World BB at times.

The hydraulic steering of the prout could pose a problem because of the high number of turns required to get a sufficient rudder response.

It looks like the best bet would be a hydrovane. They use their own rudder and so don't require the linkage to the wheel. This also gives you a back up rudder.

One of the neater things I see on boats is a windvane that is driven by a tiller auto pilot. The tiller pilot provides directional input to the wind vane, but the wind vane provides the power to steer the boat. This reduces current draw and will work when motoring. This would seem the best of both worlds.

Check http://www.hydrovane.com/ They even have a couple of photos of Prout installations.

exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 06:10   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Thanks for the thoughts

Thank you all. Good thoughts all. Thanks for the threads too. I'll learn to use this forum yet.

Gary

Tags
self steering