Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2015, 14:21   #16

Re: Will this work?

I love the Quadski's concept and have followed their progress for a while too. When I was a kid, my dream was an amphi-car and this kicks the snot out of any amphi-car I've seen!

But, my tiny brain just aches from contemplating all of the potential legal ramifications of this vehicle -

At 1300cc's (more CC's than a Volkswagen Bug I think?) and capable of 45mph on land, I'd imagine at best it would be treated as a motorcycle and some places may treat it as an automobile?
  • Driver's license required?
  • Safety (no bumpers or turn-signals)?
  • Import fees/duties?
  • Registration required (land)?
  • etc...
All of the above would have to be considered if it was used for the purpose I see it best serving, as a combination tender and ground-transport.

That said, where it may be a viable option is if you used it for exploring uninhabited islands or coasts.

Also, if you had a rural piece of land with a domicile and a small-town nearby in Central or South America, you could possibly give a kickback to the local coppers to look the other way?

It could then serve as your local transport and if you had your boat on a mooring, it would be your dinghy as well.

...but the thought of dealing w/ various government entities while actively cruising from place to place sounds like a real nightmare!

If you really wanna blow some customs agent's minds - don't forget to add a gun-rack to the back ~

Old 10-02-2015, 15:49   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Towing that would be downright dangerous. If part of your retaining rig broke in a seaway you'd have 1,500 lbs. thrashing about between your hulls. It's almost a truism that you don't tow your dinghy offshore (although some do it). You certainly don't tow a 1,500 lb. battering ram.

One of the benefits of RIB is that they are light. Another is that they are SIMPLE. I can imagine with that thing that you get a week from the UK and it breaks. Good luck finding someone to fix it.

Then there is the fuel issue. That thing looks thirsty.

Old 10-02-2015, 16:33   #18

Boat: between boats

I say go for it....

If you want to be roundly detested by the vast majority of cruisers who are unfortunate enough to share an anchorage with you that is. Skis ordinarily are not kind to the neighbours who have to put up with the noise, smell and wake but this beast looks like a whole other level of obnoxiousness!
Old 10-02-2015, 17:02   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That Sunreef might be able to carry it. It does show a pic of a fairly hefty dinghy. There is an aft platform to set the thing but no specs on the dighy/davit stuff so it's a definite maybe. You might have to go a size up to make it all work but what's another million bucks between friends?
http://www.sunreef-yachts.com/files/...ef_58_2014.pdf

Towing it is a nogo. Don't bring that up again.
Old 10-02-2015, 18:40   #20

I'm wondering what salt water would do to it. Might rust like a bicycle.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:45   #21

I'm glad I came here... its full of poetic educated lyricists whose views, whilst not what I'd like to hear, are funny informative and in some cases very to the point. :-) I would like to think they've thought of the rust issue and I'll skip the tow idea. That only leaves me the larger cat idea but from what people say this may not be as smooth sailing as I'd hoped.. plus with only 2-3 aboard a bigger cat may be unmanageable. Pesky waves and red tape. Thanks for all the comments. At least it made me smile.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-03-2015, 13:34   #22

Some light at the end of the tunnel... recently returned from Nautitech who informed me that 600kg was certainly possible on the 542 (and therefore so is my idea) but I may have to scrimp on some luxuries and they would have to re-jig the layout of heavy equipment so that it would still sail flatly.... maybe all I now need to do is check out the legality of using a quad bike (registered etc in the UK) as a visitors form of transport...
Old 12-03-2015, 03:17   #23

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
maybe all I now need to do is check out the legality of using a quad bike (registered etc in the UK) as a visitors form of transport...
Well every country is going to be different. Here's how it would go at C&I in the BVI, a place I know well...

Heath68: Good day sir, I'd like to temporarily import my quad bike/Jet Ski to use while I'm here in your beautiful islands. How do I go about that?
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, import of motor vehicles is subject to a 20% tax on the value of the vehicle, payable in cash before the vehicle leaves the compound.

Heath68: But I don't want to import it, I only want to temporarily import it.
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, how do we know you will take it with you when you leave? Vehicles are difficult to come by here in the islands so someone might offer you a lot of money for it and you might decide to sell.

Heath68: Ok, Ok, I understand. So, when I leave... How do I get my money back?
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, you come back here, fill in the 23 forms to say you have cleared oUt and the vehicle is aboard your vessel, then I send in the forms for payment and then, in about 3 months, you'll get a check for your money.

Heath68: A check! In 3 months! I have to pay cash immediately but I get a check in 3 months! That doesn't seem right? I don't know where I'll be in 3 months.
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, that's the way it works. Take it or leave it.

Heath68: I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered! Oh well, I'm here now so... Ok, so I paid $5000 for this so 20% of that is $1000, I'll have to go to an ATM to get the cash. Where is the nearest ATM?
BVI C&I Official: well, sir, the one here isn't working right now so you'll have to go into town. You can't ride the quad bike because that hasn't been imported yet so you'll have to get a taxi. Also, you don't need $1000 you need $4000 because I assess the value of your quad bike at $20000 because that's what I think it would cost to buy one here in the islands.

Heath68: $4000 are you kidding me? I can't get $4000 today out of an ATM, I can only get $1000 per day.
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, I guess I'll be seeing you again in 4 days time.

BVI C&I Official: Just before you leave, sir, I have one final question for you... What size engine does your quad bike have?
Heath68: 1000cc. Why?

BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, that's a shame because the quad bike is classed as a motorcycle and motor cycles in the BVI have to be 125cc or less so you can't use it anywhere in the BVI.
Heath68: So, I've just wasted 3 hours of my life discussing this with you only to find I can't even use it on the road. I can't believe this. I thought this place was supposed to be paradise and it's just full of petty rules, just like my home country. Oh, well, I suppose I'll just have to use it as a jet ski.

BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, I'm afraid you can't do that either. We don't allow the use of jet skis here in the BVI unless they were here before the rule came in back in 1990. So You'd better get back on that thing and hook it up on your boat before I confiscate it. Have a nice day.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Well every country is going to be different. Here's how it would go at C&I in the BVI, a place I know well...

Heath68: Good day sir, I'd like to temporarily import my quad bike/Jet Ski to use while I'm here in your beautiful islands. How do I go about that?
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, import of motor vehicles is subject to a 20% tax on the value of the vehicle, payable in cash before the vehicle leaves the compound.

Heath68: But I don't want to import it, I only want to temporarily import it.
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, how do we know you will take it with you when you leave? Vehicles are difficult to come by here in the islands so someone might offer you a lot of money for it and you might decide to sell.

Heath68: Ok, Ok, I understand. So, when I leave... How do I get my money back?
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, you come back here, fill in the 23 forms to say you have cleared oUt and the vehicle is aboard your vessel, then I send in the forms for payment and then, in about 3 months, you'll get a check for your money.

Heath68: A check! In 3 months! I have to pay cash immediately but I get a check in 3 months! That doesn't seem right? I don't know where I'll be in 3 months.
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, that's the way it works. Take it or leave it.

Heath68: I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered! Oh well, I'm here now so... Ok, so I paid $5000 for this so 20% of that is $1000, I'll have to go to an ATM to get the cash. Where is the nearest ATM?
BVI C&I Official: well, sir, the one here isn't working right now so you'll have to go into town. You can't ride the quad bike because that hasn't been imported yet so you'll have to get a taxi. Also, you don't need $1000 you need $4000 because I assess the value of your quad bike at $20000 because that's what I think it would cost to buy one here in the islands.

Heath68: $4000 are you kidding me? I can't get $4000 today out of an ATM, I can only get $1000 per day.
BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, I guess I'll be seeing you again in 4 days time.

BVI C&I Official: Just before you leave, sir, I have one final question for you... What size engine does your quad bike have?
Heath68: 1000cc. Why?

BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, that's a shame because the quad bike is classed as a motorcycle and motor cycles in the BVI have to be 125cc or less so you can't use it anywhere in the BVI.
Heath68: So, I've just wasted 3 hours of my life discussing this with you only to find I can't even use it on the road. I can't believe this. I thought this place was supposed to be paradise and it's just full of petty rules, just like my home country. Oh, well, I suppose I'll just have to use it as a jet ski.

BVI C&I Official: Well, sir, I'm afraid you can't do that either. We don't allow the use of jet skis here in the BVI unless they were here before the rule came in back in 1990. So You'd better get back on that thing and hook it up on your boat before I confiscate it. Have a nice day.
is it really that bad?? I was figuring if I have a licensed car/bike registered/insured etc that I could go anywhere? Do you not get "tourists" arriving in say a ferry with their motorbike from the mainland there to just look round?
I've contacted the BVI travel advice team to give them a piece of my mind if that's the case! lol
Old 12-03-2015, 12:26   #25

Hey Heath,

If anything, I suspect Jeannius is underestimating it(!)

While the Quadski folks will no-doubt sugar coat the problem, they may also have encountered this issue enough to provide some guidance. I'd at least pose the question to them to see what they have to say.

Please keep us posted too!

Btw, have you read Don't Stop the Carnival? I highly suggest it if not.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
is it really that bad?? I was figuring if I have a licensed car/bike registered/insured etc that I could go anywhere? Do you not get "tourists" arriving in say a ferry with their motorbike from the mainland there to just look round?
I've contacted the BVI travel advice team to give them a piece of my mind if that's the case! lol
What mainland is that? Venezuela is about 550 miles as the crow flies and Florida is twice that.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
In the Bahamas expect the bond to be about 75% the value of the vehicle, in Jamaica about 110%. This is the import duty for vehicles into the islands.

It is done, but the only times I have heard of it are the hugely rich that carry their luxury cars with them on the yacht's Shadow. Otherwise the cost and complexity just spirals out of control.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 13:09   #28

Quote:

It's not just the C&I officials either - the police in the BVI have recently begun cracking down on locals who have "imported" large, fast (over 500 cc) motorcycles with fake, "125cc" decals.
Old 12-03-2015, 13:21   #29

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Most of it is true.

Jet skis are banned. Even the Superyachts that arrive with them aboard aren't allowed to use them.

Quad bikes are classed as motorcycles and motorcycles have to be 125cc or less (unless you are the police, or very good friends with the police then they turn a blind eye.

I think import duty is actually 15% not 20% so a slight exaggeration there.

I did have to pay, in cash, a $3500 bond when I arrived in the BVI. Can't actually remember what it was for. I did receive a check long after leaving the BVI as the refund. I was grateful to get it at all, I didn't expect I would.

So I did perhaps exaggerate slightly but overall it is a true reflection of what you will find.

You might be tempted to bypass the officials. Don't. Ignore the rules at your peril... I once transgressed slightly when arriving back in the BVI by boat. I was told by the C&I man... Oh boy, are you in trouble now. Marched off to the head man who told me he could fine me $5000 and impound my boat until I came up with the cash. I appealed to his better nature( grovelled that is) and got away with $300 fine, fortunately I had that much on me so the boat wasn't impounded.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 15:09   #30

Oh boy... I should have listened to about post #2 :-)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: