Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2013, 12:38   #46

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran
Re: Why. Used seawind is so much higher price than lagoon

What!?! You're not allowed to discuss anything controversial!? We can only discuss topics upon which we all agree? That doesn't sound much like a discussion forum...
Old 28-05-2013, 17:11   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtopper View Post
The potential problem with posts like this is that they can encourage retaliatory type ones with titles like:

"Why are Seawinds so overpriced?"
They are worth exactly what the market pays - no more no less.
Quote:
"Can you still get factory maintenance (in Vietnam) for an older Seawind?
Yes. Indeed support is exactly the same as it was before the move
Quote:
"Why did Seawind almost go bankrupt?"
It didnt - one part of the group went into administration for a few weeks. No owner with a boat in build lost any money at all and all boats were delivered. The Head company was the one that ones Seawind and Corsair and the vietnam production facility was unaffected

Quote:
"Seawind is a totally different company now..."
I am not sure what you mean by that, the MD is still the same guy who started the company, the production manager and key production staff are the same, with many of them moving to Vietnam, the Corsair production and esign team are the same. The only subtle difference is that Multihull Central is a seperate company as the Australian distributor and world marketing office, but its still all the same people.
Quote:
"Is buying an older Seawind like buying an older Saab?"
I have no idea what you mean. None at all.

If anyone is genuinely interested in purchasing a boat all the owners who were involved during the time of administration are only too happy to discuss their satisfaction with how it was handled. If anyone is interested in visiting the factory just ask.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 18:50   #48
Marine Service Provider

I love it how one of the biggest advocates of these kind of boats on this website has their one on the market. As Forrest Gump says, that's all I have to say about that.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 19:18   #49
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
I love it how one of the biggest advocates of these kind of boats on this website has their one on the market. As Forrest Gump says, that's all I have to say about that.
Who's that?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 19:21   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
They are worth exactly what the market pays - no more no less. Yes. Indeed support is exactly the same as it was before the move
It didnt - one part of the group went into administration for a few weeks. No owner with a boat in build lost any money at all and all boats were delivered. The Head company was the one that ones Seawind and Corsair and the vietnam production facility was unaffected

I am not sure what you mean by that, the MD is still the same guy who started the company, the production manager and key production staff are the same, with many of them moving to Vietnam, the Corsair production and esign team are the same. The only subtle difference is that Multihull Central is a seperate company as the Australian distributor and world marketing office, but its still all the same people.
I have no idea what you mean. None at all.

If anyone is genuinely interested in purchasing a boat all the owners who were involved during the time of administration are only too happy to discuss their satisfaction with how it was handled. If anyone is interested in visiting the factory just ask.
Or just Google the following:

"Seawind catamarans bankrupt"

And you'll find some very interesting (unbiased) articles. Bankruptcy has many names. No matter how you slice it, it's not the same company. Ten million posts here in CF asking why they cost more won't change that either.
Old 28-05-2013, 19:24   #51
smj

Quote:

Or just Google the following:

"Seawind catamarans bankrupt"

And you'll find some very interesting (unbiased) articles. Bankruptcy has many names. No matter how you slice it, it's not the same company. Ten million posts here in CF asking why they cost more won't change that either.
Sounds like your upset because you can't afford a Seawind and have to settle for the Lagoon?:-)
Old 28-05-2013, 19:27   #52
Marine Service Provider

It may have many names, but the lawful reality is that administration is quite different and IS NOT bankruptcy. I refer you to Riviera, were in administration for some years. Give them a ring and tell em their bankrupt.

If you dont like a seawind or think they are not worth the market price, thats fine, just please don't tell lies about the company stays. They are not now nor ever have been - bankrupt
Old 28-05-2013, 19:31   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post

Sounds like your upset because you can't afford a Seawind and have to settle for the Lagoon?:-)
I don't discriminate as such. I can't afford anything ... yet. Even still I would not call owning a Lagoon "settling."

This thread struck me as downright fishy is all, right from the incorrect grammar and punctuation used in the title. I've seen them a thousand times on a thousand different forums.

I don't like fishy. It generally has a foul smell emanating from a rotten source.
Old 28-05-2013, 19:34   #54
smj

Quote:

I don't discriminate as such. I can't afford anything ... yet. Even still I would not call owning a Lagoon "settling."

This thread struck me as downright fishy is all, right from the incorrect grammar and punctuation used in the title. I've seen them a thousand times on a thousand different forums.

I don't like fishy. It generally has a foul smell emanating from a rotten source.
I wouldn't call owning a Lagoon settling either. Nice boats but not my cup of tea.
Old 28-05-2013, 19:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It may have many names, but the lawful reality is that administration is quite different and IS NOT bankruptcy. I refer you to Riviera, were in administration for some years. Give them a ring and tell em their bankrupt.

If you dont like a seawind or think they are not worth the market price, thats fine, just please don't tell lies about the company stays. They are not now nor ever have been - bankrupt
Google, google, google. The posts you'll find there are all I was saying. I didn't "tell" anything.

I'm sure Seawinds are spectacular boats. Threads like this, however, make them appear to have hired a 13 year old PR rep.

Capisce?
Old 28-05-2013, 19:38   #56
smj

Quote:

Google, google, google. The posts you'll find there are all I was saying. I didn't "tell" anything.

I'm sure Seawinds are spectacular boats. Threads like this, however, make them appear to have hired a 13 year old PR rep.

Capisce?
Is google now god? Do more research.
Old 28-05-2013, 20:25   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Capisce?
Dont need to google mate, I was one of the creditor affected by the administration. I attended all the administrators meetings. I am fully and personally aware of the exact and complete status.

capisce?

Just course some anonymous PIL on Sailing Anarchy doesnt make it correct.

Also you indicate that the thread is fishy, the bloke that started it hardly appears to own a seawind. Perhaps PM him and ask him if he has one for sale.

If he does it certainly isnt in Australia.
Old 28-05-2013, 20:51   #58

Boat: Lightwave 45

I really dont think there is any mystery here.

If you look at new prices in Australia the equivalent new production boats supplied in Australia are more expensive than the new Seawinds. However, many, probably the majority of the production boats are bought in Europe and sailed over and then on sold by owners. Allowing for the fact that no freight and extra brokerage on cost has been paid they will let their second hand boats go for less.

As well I have met 4 seawind owners in the last month and they are passionate to the point of religious in regard to their boats, so they are reluctant to let them go at less than what they regard as a fair price.

In regard to Seawinds overseas the reverse is true. i.e. the cost of a new Seawind is more than the cost of equivalent production boats. This would be expected when the cost of transport and taxes and so forth have to be added, as well as the volume manufacturing considerations of the respective production facilities between the various brands.

Therefore, I do not think it is any surprise that there is a difference in price although I do not believe it is as large as some think because I do not believe they are comparing like for like.

The fact of the matter is that Richard Ward has captured something in his designs that impress a lot of people. In my humble opinion these are beautiful boats to look at, and sail well and their owners rave about them, and in general look after them impeccably. This cannot be denied. Whether this is a good and solid basis to buy this particular boat is another matter, and one of individual needs. Fortunately we are all different as it would be a boring world if that were not the case.

All of the nonsense about Vietnamese manufacture and bankruptcy is both irrelevant and non constructive imo.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 21:50   #59
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
passionate to the point of religious in regard to their boats,

Maybe you are onto something there. Maybe buying a Seawind gets you membership into some kind of scientology sect? Keeping the price high ensures exclusivity.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 00:41   #60

I am really overjoyed that I read this thread today! Learned some things about a couple of boats. All I can say is if an owner is that passionate about their boat, there is something to it... I'm sure Seawind owners probably don't want to sell their boats to just anyone either, you must pass the screening process first... I think I might look into buying one!!!
NemoSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon