Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 23:20   #166
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfish View Post
Here are the pictures our French friend requested:
Many thanks , and it just confirm why I really never was interested in a Seawind , anybody would just have to compare these photos to the one of the Lagoon and even if they do not know anything about boats , well I have NO doubt whee they would go to .
I will post interior photos of my Outremer once I take delivery of it , but this by NO means mean that the Outremer is being compared to the Lagoon and the " ex Aussie made " 1160.
In essence one has to compare Apple wit Apple , and for the " true cruiser" who wants to be able to carry load in comfort while discovering the wonderful world of cruising , the lagoon is SO far AHEAD of the 1160 that the comparison should not even be attempted .
Yes Seawinds are great boats that seems to be loved by a certain section of the cruising community ( a very small one it would appear) and yes they are overpriced , but does it really matter , I do not think so
Happy sailing to all ( Lagoons and Seawind owners)
Cheers
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 01:00   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Allan

This is a subject for another thread, but I am not sure the savings are that vast.

I guess I am in the minority in that I am a finance guy with and MBA and I have spreadsheeted these things, but what everybody seems to forget is depreciation and running costs and buying a boat and sailing it around the world has this in spades.

I have not seen any real difinitive studies on this but my own analysis reveals that your model makes financial sense but not as much as you may think.

Just my 2c on a completely unrelated subject.
So how much to rent for two to three years to sail around the world??? I dun hv Any idea...
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 01:07   #168
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Why. Used Seawind is so much Higher Price than Lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Allright i will sell my 2005 Lagoon 440 never chartered tax paid sitiing in Australia for $450,000 today.

Great condition all the extras.

There is your value of a Lagoon 440 to comapre to what ever Seawind you like.

Now thats done i can go and buy a Lagoon 520 and play in the Med with all the nice sailors.
Let us know if you're looking for crew on that 520 in the Med!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 01:14   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Yes, I believe it was a Lagoon 420 that suffered damage to the hull deck join. It made quite a mess of the interior as you might imagine. I wasn't there either, but reliable reports from people I trust assure me the damage resulted from poor seamanship rather than vessel deficiency. (Please correct if more accurate information is available!) Apparently, the vessel was allowed to lie ahull for a very long time in very steep breaking seas. The type of seas that result when the south flowing East Australian current meets a gale force southeasterly wind just off our continental shelf. Enough said.

Just because a vessel breaks, there is no need to imply that that the breed is defective. Good vessels can be broken. I believe you are working on one (an Oram 44C) at the moment!

Likewise, just because a SW1250 sailed the opposite direction in similar winds at a later date without sustaining damage makes it a better boat, is ridiculous. Perhaps it had a competent crew?
Bit pushed for time right now, so I'll keep this brief. Virtually your entire post is incorrect.

We WERE there, the Lagoon was moored right next to us. They never laid a hull at all.

In case you didn't know, there's a difference between a vessel being damaged by being washed onto rocks etc, and one that starts to come apart in only moderately rough conditions at sea.

And to complete your "wrongness", the Seawind crossed at an EARLIER date.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 01:19   #170
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

me too
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 01:22   #171

Boat: Lagoon 440

Spreadsheets, saving money and boats are just totally incompatible....

Cheers
Old 19-06-2013, 01:53   #172
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

on an off topic note, if any Aussies would like to spend some time aboard Sephina with us in the Med, in return for us spending time aboard with them in Aus, drop us an email, it might be a nice opportunity for us all.
Old 19-06-2013, 03:05   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
In case you didn't know, there's a difference between a vessel being damaged by being washed onto rocks etc, and one that starts to come apart in only moderately rough conditions at sea.

And to complete your "wrongness", the Seawind crossed at an EARLIER date.
Lagoon catamarans don't "come apart in only moderately rough conditions at sea". Provided that they are competently handled, as is the case for any vessel. There are many, many owners who will vouch for that. Several are contributing to this thread.

Earlier or later? It's your story. Either way it doesn't matter.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:06   #174

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

Let us know if you're looking for crew on that 520 in the Med!
I will book a cabin for you now
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 03:08   #175

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

Lagoon catamarans don't "come apart in only moderately rough conditions at sea". Provided that they are competently handled, as is the case for any vessel. There are many, many owners who will vouch for that. Several are contributing to this thread.

Earlier or later? It's your story. Either way it doesn't matter.
They dont come apart, i have tried plenty of times.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 04:33   #176
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post

Many thanks , and it just confirm why I really never was interested in a Seawind , anybody would just have to compare these photos to the one of the Lagoon and even if they do not know anything about boats , well I have NO doubt whee they would go to .
I will post interior photos of my Outremer once I take delivery of it , but this by NO means mean that the Outremer is being compared to the Lagoon and the " ex Aussie made " 1160.
In essence one has to compare Apple wit Apple , and for the " true cruiser" who wants to be able to carry load in comfort while discovering the wonderful world of cruising , the lagoon is SO far AHEAD of the 1160 that the comparison should not even be attempted .
Yes Seawinds are great boats that seems to be loved by a certain section of the cruising community ( a very small one it would appear) and yes they are overpriced , but does it really matter , I do not think so
Happy sailing to all ( Lagoons and Seawind owners)
Cheers
"True cruiser" is a personal choice not a phrase written in the dictionary. To some its a boat that will fit everything, washer dryer, trash compactor, three ac units etc. To others who are minimalists it is a strong simple boat. To some a sporty racing machine. For some, cruising is the destination and the comfort had while at anchor. For others it's the trip that gets you there. So why are Lagoons cheaper than Seawinds?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 05:34   #177
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

wow I think its been answered pretty clearly and repeatedly why? The main points being
- mass production means cheaper component costs
- Australian economy and cost of living means more expensive labor costs as well as increased overheads for factories
I've sailed a seawind 1000 and currently sail a lagoon 380. The difference in performance is negligible, the difference in cruising comfort is huge. I would place a seawind 1000 midway between my hobie 18 and my lagoon 380 for comfort and safety. Sure I could sail around the whitsundays on my hobie and have a lot of fun, but why would I? And regarding price, I paid a little more for a new Lagoon 380 in France than a 10 year old Seawind 1000 is selling for in Australia (and less than a new one sells for)
It's pretty simple to understand really, unless you can't
Old 19-06-2013, 05:40   #178

Are Seawinds in charter anywhere in Australia?
Old 19-06-2013, 05:41   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
They dont come apart, i have tried plenty of times.
My favourite response in this thread, it comes after the words, i think i should reef but geez it's fun.....
Old 19-06-2013, 05:47   #180
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

yeah quite a few up in QLD
Charter Yachts, Whitsunday Sailing Catamarans
not a bad way to spend a few weeks but $600/night, whoa, Australia really is expensive eh

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon