Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 13:10   #1

Why so many heads?

Please take this post partly tongue-in-cheek as it's intended, but also partly seriously too.

I'm a novice sailor, and although I adore cats, I've yet to be out on one. But I do watch every youtube video I can find showing catamarans, and have been checking out all the major production models and such. I just have to ask, why so many freaking heads?

I totally get having one for each hull, but does each bedroom actually need it's own toilet and shower?

And I can completely understand having so many on a charter boat, but a owners model?

My dream cat would have one very nice head with a roomy shower in each hull, and use the space this frees up for a small office area, or a BATH TUB.

I'm a writer and plan on writing when I have my boat, so having someplace dedicated for this is quite important to me, more so than 2 or 3 spare heads.

I suppose, as I plan on doing a lot of solo or short-handed sailing, 4 heads just doesn't make sense. But if you have a family, then... no. Not even then. Isn't cleaning one toilet enough? :face palm:

Anyway, if anyone owns a catamaran along the Suffolk Coast in the UK, and wouldn't mind giving this novice sailor a tour of your boat to explain the finer points of a multi-head boat, I'd be happy to bring a bottle of wine. :big grin:

All the best, MoxieGirl
Old 26-10-2015, 13:14   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Why so many heads?

Why so many heads?

That way when everyone in the crew is seasick they can each have their own space in which to be ill. Just kidding of course. Usually each berth gets it's own head because they want to charter the boat with several couples aboard. It's all about money.

kind regards,
Old 26-10-2015, 13:20   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Totally agree, though instead of a bathtub it'll be a sauna
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 13:38   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The primary advantage to more than one head is that you get some additional time to fix the broken one lol.
One head per hull on a cat seems ideal to me. We have just one head on our 36' cat, with shower and separate sink/medicine cabinet area. That space in the other hull is galley with a large refrigerator space and storage area.
Old 26-10-2015, 14:01   #5

Usually an "Owner's version" is simply the charter version with one hull altered. So the unaltered hull retains the charter boat's one head per berth layout. And of course the owner's hull usually has a nice big bathroom just for them.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 19:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As others have said, the 4 head version is designed to accomodate four couples in the charter market.

Even for a family, I think that 2 heads is enough. When shopping for my current liveaboard, we quickly ruled out anything with two heads in the non-owners hull.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 19:05   #7

My boat has 4 heads. Owners stateroom with ensuite head. VIP stateroom with ensuite head. 3rd head for 3rd stateroom. Day head off of cockpit. Very convenient for fishing trips, etc.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 23:25   #8

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad I'm not the only one who's thought about this.

One of the great things about cats is redundant systems, i.e. Two engines. A head in each hull would also give you that backup, as mentioned, a spare while one is under repair.

I like the designs where one hull is the owners state room and the other hull is for guests.

MG

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-10-2015, 03:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
A head in each hull would also give you that backup, as mentioned, a spare while one is under repair.

Well hopefully having two heads can help prevent backup...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:08   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

main reason for toilets on cats is to make hull stiffer and add to structural integrity of the boat.

And of course for monohull people to have something to talk about.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:47   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
main reason for toilets on cats is to make hull stiffer and add to structural integrity of the boat.

This is so incorrect on so many levels. Please don't post things like this as factual statements.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
This is so incorrect on so many levels. Please don't post things like this as factual statements.

Mark
Oh come on. Even the Leaners know he was kidding!

BTW Moxie - I concur! 2 heads max!
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 07:56   #13

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Hope this ends it: Everyone knows two heads are better than one, but fewer are aware that three or more heads are a committee and produce stuff accordingly.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:30   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450

As John eludes to above, its driven by the charter business where guests like their own heads. But, as we have done, decommission the ones you don't use. Or as others have done, make it a storage area but suggest to do so while allowing it to be converted back to maintain your resale value.

I tried endlessly to get Lagoon to drop one of the three heads but could not do. So we have three, one is decommed, the other is storage. The decommed head can be quickly reverted back in event we have guest or our primary one goes south.

Success in your choice of cat!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 11:38   #15

Herreshoff in one of his books suggests using a cedar bucket is best so you don't get splinters in your backside. In one of Uffa Foxe's books I've seen a photo of a toilet seat mounted out on the bumpkin. (thats a bit like a bowsprit out the back)
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head