Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 05:44   #31

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Why so many heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
I hope to NEVER capsize a boat....
Well, MG, I think you should do this - maybe multiple times. To this end,

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
Moxie. All this armchair sailing is going to drive you nuts!

Get a boat, will ya? Doesn't have to be much to start out. There are plenty of nearly-free 25 to 27 foot monos out there to get you going.

It'll help you put your musings in context and provide a test bed for your ideas....
paxfish is exactly right. Get on some small boats and beach cats and sail them and make mistakes. Hopefully you'll capsize a few times to learn the dynamics on a small scale and learn from the mistakes. Mastering small boats, mono or multi, will make you a better cruiser.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Well, MG, I think you should do this - maybe multiple times. To this end,

paxfish is exactly right. Get on some small boats and beach cats and sail them and make mistakes. Hopefully you'll capsize a few times to learn the dynamics on a small scale and learn from the mistakes. Mastering small boats, mono or multi, will make you a better cruiser.

Dave
I concur on the capsizing. When my son was 8 he took some professional lessons. At age 10, he was still a bit tentative. One day I turned him loose on the Laser in 15 gusting over 20. He returned to the pier a couple of hours later. Crying and laughing at the same time and soaking wet. He had capsized 10 times.

He thought he was on his own (I was watching in a clandestine manner). He figured it out.

Since that day, I've been able to trust him with the helm of any boat. He feels the wind, he turns down as the boat accelerates without even thinking about it.

I recommend that experience to anyone....

My Sons:

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
Moxie. All this armchair sailing is going to drive you nuts!

Get a boat, will ya? Doesn't have to be much to start out. There are plenty of nearly-free 25 to 27 foot monos out there to get you going.

It'll help you put your musings in context and provide a test bed for your ideas....
Driving me nuts isn't the half of it. Being a Sofa-Sailor is also driving my house-mates nuts, my friends, everyone on my Facebook page... I think they all want me to get out on the water and to shut up about it. LOL

I made some fantastic friends on my comp. crew course, and a few of us are talking about sharing a boat. Like you say, nothing expensive or big, but enough to get on the water with.

MG

PS - Love the photo Panfish. Dinghy sailing like that is definitely on my to do list for next summer. Really looking forward to it.
Old 29-10-2015, 09:42   #34

Do you mind if I toss in a self-promotional blurb?

Chris, over at Sail Mentor - Become the Confident Skipper of Your Own Sailboat saw my blog spot and thought I did a fair job of assembling letters into sentences, and asked me to guest write a post for his page (which is a cool page to begin with).

I'm actually quite impressed with out my article came out, and you can check it out here:
Reader Story: Renee's First Sailing Course - Sail Mentor

Cheers,
MG
Old 29-10-2015, 13:31   #35

Boat: I want Lagoon 42

Hi,

Back to the heads ...

I think 4 heads on a "small" cat 38-42 seems excessive

what I would like to see is more of a cursing/live aboard model

I will use the new lagoon 42 as an example,

to me none of the layouts seem live aboard..

the owner version (see attached) is missing coziness ,and wasted space
the charter version (see attached) is too much of ...

and what I would like to see in a live aboard (see attached)
see post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1935422

I don't know what order the pictures will show up but you will get the idea

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42-3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	111812   Click image for larger version

Name:	42-4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	111813  

Click image for larger version

Name:	lagoon 42-31.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	111814  
mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:11   #36

Thumbs up Re: Why so many heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
Please take this post partly tongue-in-cheek as it's intended, but also partly seriously too.

I'm a novice sailor, and although I adore cats, I've yet to be out on one. But I do watch every youtube video I can find showing catamarans, and have been checking out all the major production models and such. I just have to ask, why so many freaking heads?

I totally get having one for each hull, but does each bedroom actually need it's own toilet and shower?

And I can completely understand having so many on a charter boat, but a owners model?

My dream cat would have one very nice head with a roomy shower in each hull, and use the space this frees up for a small office area, or a BATH TUB.

I'm a writer and plan on writing when I have my boat, so having someplace dedicated for this is quite important to me, more so than 2 or 3 spare heads.

I suppose, as I plan on doing a lot of solo or short-handed sailing, 4 heads just doesn't make sense. But if you have a family, then... no. Not even then. Isn't cleaning one toilet enough? :face palm:

Anyway, if anyone owns a catamaran along the Suffolk Coast in the UK, and wouldn't mind giving this novice sailor a tour of your boat to explain the finer points of a multi-head boat, I'd be happy to bring a bottle of wine. :big grin:

All the best, MoxieGirl
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head