Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 09:30   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Why Is There No List of Catamarans With Daggerboards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
I think what 2Hulls meant Art was that it is such an ignorant thing to say, that it must be a joke. But I think it's just a Troll comment, not worthy of any consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Explain please.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:48   #17

Boat: Catana 471

I'll try to explain, Art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
If you're talking about cruising catamarans, most are designed to be flat and stable and nearly impossible to overturn. Daggerboards, to be effective, would work against that objective.
This is incorrect with regard to the daggerboard statement. There is no reason a board cat would be more susceptible to capsizing than a non-board cat. In fact, a board cat would be less susceptible to tripping over it's boards sideways when the boards are up vs keels.

Quote:
I only know of one cruising type catamaran that was made with daggerboards, and that model (I can't even remember the name of it now) had been known to overturn under some conditions.
Catana, Outreamer, Chris White designs, Gunboat, Balance, etc., etc., etc. and a bunch of other designs that are too numerous to list. And all boats can overturn in "some conditions".

So, your statements were incorrect to the point of being either a joke or grossly miss-informed, and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:54   #18
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I guess because it is hard to believe that anyone who has interst in catamarans, let alone the owner of one, could suggest that there are no cruising catamarans with boards or that they are somehow unsafe! Have you really never heard of Catana, Dolphin, Grainger, Atlantic, even the original Gemini cats, etc.,etc.? Wow!

As to stabiity, most naval architects will acknowledge that having boards should actually improve transverse stability in heavy condition as one can raise the leeward board (or both) and eliminate the risk of the boat tripping up on its leeward keel.

So yes, it was either a joke or an expression of supreme ignorance about catamarans.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:57   #19

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
It seems that if you try, you can succeed. And further, you succeeded in answering the OP's question whereas before you contributed nothing at all.

Thanks for your contribution.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:31   #20

Quote:
And further, you succeeded in answering the OP's question whereas before you contributed nothing at all.
Actually, I didn't answer the OP's original question. I don't know why there's no list of cats with daggerboards. So I had nothing to contribute.

Dave
Old 23-11-2015, 12:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post

This is incorrect with regard to the daggerboard statement. There is no reason a board cat would be more susceptible to capsizing than a non-board cat.

So, your statements were incorrect to the point of being either a joke or grossly miss-informed, and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Dave
I know its Heresy, but ArtM is correct. As was demonstrated over and over again on the race course, and noted by the designer himself the daggerboard generates lift to windward and hence an Adams 13 is less stiff with its unballasted (neutrally ballasted)dagger board down.

Certainly harder to detectect on a stable platform like a catamaran but true none the less.

Now, lifting a deep board so the stability returns closer to a shallow mini keel vessel is a different argument altogether,.

Crow anyone?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 13:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Crow anyone?
Sure. The Adams 13 is a monohull. It shouldn't be surprising that it'll heel a bit more - what you refer to a "less stiff" - due to the lift of the board. That has little to no relevance to daggerboard cats.

Before you answer be sure to have thought of the effect of having two boards.

Dave
Old 23-11-2015, 13:38   #23
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Of course a dagger board creates lift to windward - and indeed more than a LAR keel on a cat. Similarly, a deep fin keel produces more lift on a monohull than a shallow full keel. This is why in both cases, the former typically sail better to windward than the latter.

However, in the case of a board, unlike a deep fixed keel, a prudent sailor has the ability to raise the boards in heavy conditions so that it not only reduces resistance to leeway that then mirrors a less efficient LAR keel, but so that it has even less resistance (in effect, none except that which is generated by the hulls and rudders). As a result, it will have even greater resistance to capsize in heavy conditions.

To reject this notion is akin to suggesting that no cruising boat should have a sail area that requires reefing in heavy air! All boats require adjustments in heavy conditions in order to avoid capsize ; fortunately, a cat with boards can be adjusted so that it is even harder to capsize than one with LAR keels.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 15:11   #24

Spade anyone?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:19   #25

Quote:
If you're talking about cruising catamarans, most are designed to be flat and stable and nearly impossible to overturn. Daggerboards, to be effective, would work against that objective.

I only know of one cruising type catamaran that was made with daggerboards, and that model (I can't even remember the name of it now) had been known to overturn under some conditions.

If you're talking about racing catamarans, I'd be surprised if they didn't all have daggerboards, or at least the option to add them.

Fullfi Boa Sempor
Daggerboards are meant to be used only when sailing to windward, and generally only fully deployed when sailing to windward in very light conditions. In heavy conditions they are raised, and make the boat LESS likely to capsize.

There have been many production cruising catamarans with daggerboards. Gunboats, Chris White Atlantics, Outremers, Catanas... and more.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Seriously? YOu cant remember about the name or design but you remember it had daggerboards and turned over? Seriously?

As to you original premise, no, a daggerboard boat , all other things being equal is far less likely to capsize, IF SAILED CORRECTLY. eg in extreme conditions fully raising leeward board and indeed only inserting windward board when absolutely needed.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 07:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twrman View Post
Why is there no list of catamarans with daggerboards ?
You can find a list on SailHow.com
https://sailhow.com/which-catamarans-have-daggerboards/
Jomfruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 09:46   #28

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomfruane View Post

This is about the least useful list of which-catamarans-have-daggerboards.

In addition to those already mentioned in previous posts

Crowther
Hughes

Conser
Shuttleworth
Woods
Gold Coast Design
Gougeon
Walter Green
Gemini
Malcolm Tennant
Lars Oudrup
Kelsall
Lindenberg
Jim Antrim
Farrier
Tony Grainger
Prescot
Scape Yachts SA
Asiacatamarans - Stealth
Darren Newton - Dazcat

Even Fountaine Pajot - Louisiane and some early Privileges had optional boards.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 12:03   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomfruane View Post
The post you are replying to is over 5 years old.
mrarcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran