Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 18:27   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
That's what I call stupidity. (;-))

I believe the boat did what she did not because of how the bows are designed (they look normal to me) but rather because of what happened under the bridgedeck.

And irresponsible as he seems the driver does know how to drive her.

Cool video, THX!

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 20:00   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Heres a googled "5 meter wave". Remembering most big wave surf events require this minimum size to qualify as such. Your ride through that on a sail cat would have made an interesting video.
The guy on the board is less than a metre tall????

Having read the account from the crew, the bar crossing makes even less sense to me now. They arrived off the bar a 4:30pm, and waited till after 9am the next day to get in. They could have been well on their way round the top of Moreton and back down in that time.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 21:43   #48

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt until I read his story. Sure, you spend days and days at sea, lousy weather, no sleep, fatigue sets in and you start making mistakes. That has happened to me and I'm sure it has happened to heaps of others on this forum. He lost me when said if he had the chance he'd do it again.
I think sailing would become a real spectator sport if it became common practice for catamarans to cross bars with "5 metre ?" waves like this one did. I for one would sit on the rock wall , set up a picnic table, a beer and binoculars.
How about the youngest person to surf a 5 metre wave on a cruising catamaran ? Good grief !
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 22:25   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Perhaps you should be using the methods used by meteorology departments and govt. in Australia as it pertains to boating.

Waverider buoys (Department of Environment and Resource Management)
Many appologies, I didn't realize there was a wave rider bouy on the Wide Bay Bar. I'm suprised no one has hit it.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 00:47   #50

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
We've been through this particular bar. I don't like bars at the best of times. When we went through the bar it was far, far tamer than this, but I still was HIGHLY uncomfortable.

I would not attempt what this skipper did. No no no. It is tricky there. Would've gone to Brissy.
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 01:28   #51

I've been through the Southport bar only 3 times, but it's been lake smooth each time. Very wide rolling swell, but no height to it at all. Not even remotely close to breaking.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 04:33   #52
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think some are forgetting the skipper took training in crossing bars. In post #33 in section 2 he clearly explains this. That makes a heap of difference...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 09:58   #53

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I think we can all come up with many reasons why this should not have happened at all. My "take " on it was the appreciation of the boat design to weather such an incident.

Jim Brown (Searunner designer) said many years ago. "If you want to feel safe, take a car that is designed for 150 miles per hour, and keep it at 60" Same thing with these boats, if they are designed to surf and not bury, they have a huge margin of safety. You may never do this, but if it happens you have a fighting chance of making it.

I think most well designed, built and maintained boats, regardless of type, are a lot stronger than the sailors who are on them. And frankly, I'm good with not testing the failure point of the performance envelope. Otherwise, I think it makes sense to give the guy some credit. If he and his crew judged it safe and did fine, why should anyone want to call his judgement into question? I doubt I would have done the same, but I don't have the local knowledge either.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 11:25   #54
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Okay. why I like multihulls...

No matter how bad the weather is, you can always find places inside the boat where you can get out of each other's sight?
Old 15-01-2010, 12:13   #55

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
No matter how bad the weather is, you can always find places inside the boat where you can get out of each other's sight
... we have a winner. Good call.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 14:26   #56

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
This was largely a surfing situation and many modern monos surf very well too and have nice big rudders,i have no doubts that as long as depth was not an issue many a modern light disp mono would have done fine too,but i sure wouldnt want to try it with a heavy disp one,this is the one place where a nice assymetrical cat would rule imho.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 14:29   #57

Steve, I'm sure that you are right. It certainly makes for a cool video!
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 13:44   #58

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
wow i have seen some stupid things in my time but that takes the cake ! I think the crew had grounds for a mutinee i know i would have voiced my concerns very heartily if i were a crew member!
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 14:56   #59
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
looks like fun, to me. I have done similar things in center console power boats lots of times to get in over sand bars in rough weather here.

Would want the training first, i think.
Old 17-01-2010, 15:56   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Would want the training first, i think.
I'll bet the training emphasizes avoiding dangerous bar crossings whenever possible.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote