Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 19:17   #76
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, TP, that's for sure! I thought we were discussing factors that impacted sailing performance. At any rate, I think it is quite clear that the answer to Kenomac's query is that cat owners don't want roller mains, so they don't buy them!

And the same is true for a good many of us monophiles!

Jim
We're agreed on that! I could have been clearer in my wording, apologies.

I can see that furling makes it a little bit easier but I'm not sure the minor added convenience would be enough to make me want to add the extra cost, complexity and risk of being over canvassed in a blow should it get stuck furling in on a cat. Also, I wonder if the weight up there might mean a more uncomfortable motion at anchor through increased pendulum effect? I'm hypothesising, of course...and it's likely negligible.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:22   #77

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
SVNeko,
Would vetical battens work on a catamaran to help solve the performance issue regarding a furling mast? Aside from the weight issue which I now understand. Maybe for some cruisers less interested in performance and needing a little physical assist to keep them in the game longer?
I'm not a sailmaker and I think this has been covered before, but I'm fairly certain you would not be able to duplicate the roach and sail shape of a horizontal batten main with a vertical batten main. This is something of a moot point because, for all the reasons outlined in the replies to this thread, there are no modern cats that I am aware of, production or otherwise, that have in-mast furling mains. If you are looking for an alternative to slab reefing then in-boom furling would be a viable solution, although nowadays most reefing is done from the cockpit and does not require a lot of physical effort.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, furling, sail, sails