Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 11:56   #31

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Ken View Post
I think you got it backwards. In mast furling is NOT affected by mast rake, but in boom furling is.
Nahhh, mast rake at certain point is not good for inmast furling, no matter if is a mono or multi, the furler need to be set as straight as posible, a customer ask me for some extreme prebend and rake in a selden fitted in a Bavaria , we say no, we get a hot discussion with the guys in question and he end it cranking a lot the backstay and uppers, go and figurate...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:58   #32

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

To me there is no excuse
All cats must be equipped with in mast furling
Maybe the gunboat will be excluded
Safety and easy handling keeps the shorthanded crew relaxed which enhance safety in exchange of a few tenths of a knot slower performance
Same apply to all cruising monos
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 14:28   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
To me there is no excuse
All cats must be equipped with in mast furling
Maybe the gunboat will be excluded
Safety and easy handling keeps the shorthanded crew relaxed which enhance safety in exchange of a few tenths of a knot slower performance
Same apply to all cruising monos
To me there is no excuse
NO cats must be equipped with in mast furling
Maybe the Lagoon will be excluded
Safety and easy handling keeps the shorthanded crew relaxed which enhance safety in exchange of a few knot EXTRA performance
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 14:29   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Seriously - can someone explain to me how in-mast is safer?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 15:22   #35

No system is safer in my mind, it gets down to the competence of the operator. The real advantage to in mast furling is that you can reef on any point of sail which means that it's quite safe to keep up just the right amount of sail rather than say reefing at night. Having said that I never reefed at night with a full baton sail unless I needed to so frankly there is not much difference in the sails other than the full baton sail or long batons whichever you prefer is simply a much more powerful sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 15:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This I don't agree with at all. Cats need to excise as much unnecessary weight as possible, and the best place to start is aloft. That's why you'll see so many cats with synthetic rigging.

I like the idea of synthetic rigging but have never seen any boat yet with such. I guess its a regional difference and material availability/familiarity - and the owners wallet capacity.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 00:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Question:

Why do most catamarans come equipped with a fully battened main sail, usually equipped with a stack pack and cover, instead of with in-mast furling or a boom furling system such as a ProFurl system? Especially when the catamarans become large and over 50ft. It seems to me the main sail would be easier to handle with a short handed crew, like for a cuising couple if there was more automation.

Does it have to do with the shape of the main sail?

Thanks

Ken
If you're motoring 100% of the time, why would you bother with a furling mainsail?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you're motoring 100% of the time, why would you bother with a furling mainsail?
Pretty cute, LOL
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:19   #39

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
I like the idea of synthetic rigging but have never seen any boat yet with such. I guess its a regional difference and material availability/familiarity - and the owners wallet capacity.
I recently re-rigged my cat and looked very hard at synthetic. I would have loved to have gone that route, but dyneema, in larger boat sizes, is still 3x the cost of 1x19.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:36   #40

Boat: Catana 471

I came to the same conclusion and that the weight aloft savings was not as significant (with a reduced lifespan) or as high a priority for performance as money spent on other aspects of the boat to reduce weight (batteries...) and achieve better performance.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:05   #41

Same here. Plus, there's that pissed off native with a machete......
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Why do most catamarans come equipped with a fully battened main sail, usually equipped with a stack pack and cover, instead of with in-mast furling or a boom furling system such as a ProFurl system? Especially when the catamarans become large and over 50ft. It seems to me the main sail would be easier to handle with a short handed crew, like for a cuising couple if there was more automation.
I've wondered about the same question. Since so many answers so far are just standard anti-furling replies I wonder if anyone knows.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08   #43

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Since so many answers so far are just standard anti-furling replies I wonder if anyone knows.
Or that most of the answers here from seasoned Cat sailors are in agreement that "IN Mast" furling is not viable or feasible or a better solution for the type of mains and rig dynamics found on large modern Cats.
and that "In Boom" furling has its own limitations and gives up mechanical simplicity("gravity" as Factor points out) ,lower cost and performance for the variety of main types found on Cats.
Its got nothing to do with "anti-furling" at all... we (Cat owners) do use and embrace and rely on "furling" on many other sail handling areas.... Headsails ?

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:28   #44

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
I came to the same conclusion and that the weight aloft savings was not as significant (with a reduced lifespan) or as high a priority for performance as money spent on other aspects of the boat to reduce weight (batteries...) and achieve better performance.

Bob

To us all excess weight matters but you are right there are cost trade offs. In our case since we were replacing old Kevlar shrouds, we didn't want to ADD weight. Dux is not much more expensive than dyform and seems to last as long. By the way our investigation showed boats that used it for diamonds had loads of trouble. There we stuck with rod.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Or that most of the answers here from seasoned Cat sailors are in agreement that "IN Mast" furling is not viable or feasible or a better solution for the type of mains and rig dynamics found on large modern Cats.
and that "In Boom" furling has its own limitations and gives up mechanical simplicity("gravity" as Factor points out) ,lower cost and performance for the variety of main types found on Cats.
Its got nothing to do with "anti-furling" at all... we (Cat owners) do use and embrace and rely on "furling" on many other sail handling areas.... Headsails ?

Bob
I didn't find that to be any answer at all. Unless you are saying that cat owners know what is best and therefore don't use furling mains, which of of course isn't an answer at all.

So why or why great cat owner is "furling not a viable or feasible"?

BTW - I don't have a furling main and am not defending them, just looking for the answer to the question because I would think they would be a plus on a big cat.

Tags
catamaran, furling, sail, sails