Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 12:56   #31
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Ken View Post
I think you got it backwards. In mast furling is NOT affected by mast rake, but in boom furling is.
Nahhh, mast rake at certain point is not good for inmast furling, no matter if is a mono or multi, the furler need to be set as straight as posible, a customer ask me for some extreme prebend and rake in a selden fitted in a Bavaria , we say no, we get a hot discussion with the guys in question and he end it cranking a lot the backstay and uppers, go and figurate...
__________________

__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:58   #32
Registered User
 
Manos1955's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Thessalonki Greece
Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Posts: 153
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

To me there is no excuse
All cats must be equipped with in mast furling
Maybe the gunboat will be excluded
Safety and easy handling keeps the shorthanded crew relaxed which enhance safety in exchange of a few tenths of a knot slower performance
Same apply to all cruising monos
__________________

__________________
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 15:28   #33
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos1955 View Post
To me there is no excuse
All cats must be equipped with in mast furling
Maybe the gunboat will be excluded
Safety and easy handling keeps the shorthanded crew relaxed which enhance safety in exchange of a few tenths of a knot slower performance
Same apply to all cruising monos
To me there is no excuse
NO cats must be equipped with in mast furling
Maybe the Lagoon will be excluded
Safety and easy handling keeps the shorthanded crew relaxed which enhance safety in exchange of a few knot EXTRA performance
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 15:29   #34
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Seriously - can someone explain to me how in-mast is safer?
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 16:22   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,953
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

No system is safer in my mind, it gets down to the competence of the operator. The real advantage to in mast furling is that you can reef on any point of sail which means that it's quite safe to keep up just the right amount of sail rather than say reefing at night. Having said that I never reefed at night with a full baton sail unless I needed to so frankly there is not much difference in the sails other than the full baton sail or long batons whichever you prefer is simply a much more powerful sail.
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 16:35   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,282
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This I don't agree with at all. Cats need to excise as much unnecessary weight as possible, and the best place to start is aloft. That's why you'll see so many cats with synthetic rigging.

I like the idea of synthetic rigging but have never seen any boat yet with such. I guess its a regional difference and material availability/familiarity - and the owners wallet capacity.
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:26   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,456
Images: 69
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Question:

Why do most catamarans come equipped with a fully battened main sail, usually equipped with a stack pack and cover, instead of with in-mast furling or a boom furling system such as a ProFurl system? Especially when the catamarans become large and over 50ft. It seems to me the main sail would be easier to handle with a short handed crew, like for a cuising couple if there was more automation.

Does it have to do with the shape of the main sail?

Thanks

Ken
If you're motoring 100% of the time, why would you bother with a furling mainsail?
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,953
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If you're motoring 100% of the time, why would you bother with a furling mainsail?
Pretty cute, LOL
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
mikereed100's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: 46' custom cat
Posts: 1,573
Images: 2
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
I like the idea of synthetic rigging but have never seen any boat yet with such. I guess its a regional difference and material availability/familiarity - and the owners wallet capacity.
I recently re-rigged my cat and looked very hard at synthetic. I would have loved to have gone that route, but dyneema, in larger boat sizes, is still 3x the cost of 1x19.
__________________
Mike

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:36   #40
Registered User
 
REsCat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sarnia,Canada
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 216
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

I came to the same conclusion and that the weight aloft savings was not as significant (with a reduced lifespan) or as high a priority for performance as money spent on other aspects of the boat to reduce weight (batteries...) and achieve better performance.

Bob
__________________
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:05   #41
Registered User
 
Training Wheels's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Left coast.
Posts: 673
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Same here. Plus, there's that pissed off native with a machete......
__________________
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30   #42
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,319
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post


Why do most catamarans come equipped with a fully battened main sail, usually equipped with a stack pack and cover, instead of with in-mast furling or a boom furling system such as a ProFurl system? Especially when the catamarans become large and over 50ft. It seems to me the main sail would be easier to handle with a short handed crew, like for a cuising couple if there was more automation.
I've wondered about the same question. Since so many answers so far are just standard anti-furling replies I wonder if anyone knows.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:08   #43
Registered User
 
REsCat's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sarnia,Canada
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 216
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Since so many answers so far are just standard anti-furling replies I wonder if anyone knows.
Or that most of the answers here from seasoned Cat sailors are in agreement that "IN Mast" furling is not viable or feasible or a better solution for the type of mains and rig dynamics found on large modern Cats.
and that "In Boom" furling has its own limitations and gives up mechanical simplicity("gravity" as Factor points out) ,lower cost and performance for the variety of main types found on Cats.
Its got nothing to do with "anti-furling" at all... we (Cat owners) do use and embrace and rely on "furling" on many other sail handling areas.... Headsails ?

Bob
__________________
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:28   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sailing the Caribbean
Boat: Switch 51
Posts: 1,498
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
I came to the same conclusion and that the weight aloft savings was not as significant (with a reduced lifespan) or as high a priority for performance as money spent on other aspects of the boat to reduce weight (batteries...) and achieve better performance.



Bob

To us all excess weight matters but you are right there are cost trade offs. In our case since we were replacing old Kevlar shrouds, we didn't want to ADD weight. Dux is not much more expensive than dyform and seems to last as long. By the way our investigation showed boats that used it for diamonds had loads of trouble. There we stuck with rod.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:30   #45
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,319
Re: Why Don"t Most Catamarans Come with Furling Main Sails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
Or that most of the answers here from seasoned Cat sailors are in agreement that "IN Mast" furling is not viable or feasible or a better solution for the type of mains and rig dynamics found on large modern Cats.
and that "In Boom" furling has its own limitations and gives up mechanical simplicity("gravity" as Factor points out) ,lower cost and performance for the variety of main types found on Cats.
Its got nothing to do with "anti-furling" at all... we (Cat owners) do use and embrace and rely on "furling" on many other sail handling areas.... Headsails ?

Bob
I didn't find that to be any answer at all. Unless you are saying that cat owners know what is best and therefore don't use furling mains, which of of course isn't an answer at all.

So why or why great cat owner is "furling not a viable or feasible"?

BTW - I don't have a furling main and am not defending them, just looking for the answer to the question because I would think they would be a plus on a big cat.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, furling, sail, sails

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furling main on catamarans yeloya Multihull Sailboats 15 19-12-2014 08:11
Why Don't Stepped Masts Come With Already Installed Supports? GaryMayo Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 12 04-01-2013 11:25
For Sale: "Santa Cruz Sails" 26' 8" x 24' 10" x 15' 3" Genoa Cut Sail Joy Devlin Classifieds Archive 0 19-06-2012 17:22
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 10 22-01-2009 12:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.