Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 22:00   #346

Boat: none
Re: Why doesn't this beautiful catamaran sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
What is it?

Where is it?

How do I find out details?

I detest, hate, despise, and refuse to have anything to do with Facebook. I think it one of the most evil inventions of the last 100-years.

I find it quite amusing that in one breath the Op states that he does not want a Grainger or a Schionning, but in the next breath he wants to know all about the Schionning Sea Level posted above, perhaps he dosent even know what a Grainger or Schionning are. Perhaps some further education on cats is needed.
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 22:17   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
I find it quite amusing that in one breath the Op states that he does not want a Grainger or a Schionning, but in the next breath he wants to know all about the Schionning Sea Level posted above, perhaps he dosent even know what a Grainger or Schionning are. Perhaps some further education on cats is needed.
Maybe he just found out his WIFE likes the Schionning.
Old 15-03-2015, 06:03   #348
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Perhaps he has now only considered looking around at other vessels since his 'dream boat' has been sold?
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:35   #349

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
I find it quite amusing that I had earlier said I was not interested in the Shionning in PV. Then someone posts Facebook pictures of a cat that I did not recognize so I asked 'what is it' - once identified I again said I was not interested.

Just came back from a 25-mile sail on a catamaran at 14-knots. Blew by a trio of 45'+ monohulls trying to beat round Pt Loma in 18-knots gusting to 30. We were pointing higher and sailing 2x faster, flat, dry, and laughing with no jib and double reefed main.

Previous day sailed a different catamaran 7-miles west of Pt Loma and back.

In the last four months we've been aboard:

- Hughes 58
- Brazzapi 51
- Helia
- Leopard 46
- Lagoon 440
- Lagoon 450
- Seawind 1160
- Leopard 39
- Maine Cat 31
- Reynolds 33
- Gemini 35
- Corsair F28 (?? it is a multi-hull)

Education enough?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:06   #350

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
I find it quite amusing that I had earlier said I was not interested in the Shionning in PV. Then someone posts Facebook pictures of a cat that I did not recognize so I asked 'what is it' - once identified I again said I was not interested.

Just came back from a 25-mile sail on a catamaran at 14-knots. Blew by a trio of 45'+ monohulls trying to beat round Pt Loma in 18-knots gusting to 30. We were pointing higher and sailing 2x faster, flat, dry, and laughing with no jib and double reefed main.

- Hughes 58
- Brazzapi 51
- Helia
- Leopard 46
- Lagoon 440
- Lagoon 450
- Seawind 1160
- Leopard 39
- Maine Cat 31
- Reynolds 33
- Gemini 35

Education enough?
Strange I always thought that a headsail was very important to the pointing ability. What cat were you sailing in? I am impressed with that cat that can point better with a reefed main than big monohulls, I assume, correctly trimmed. The majority of the ones you have visited on the last months would not be a match to a good monohull in what regards pointing ability, not even with an head sail.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:26   #351
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Plenty of monohulls don't point as well as claimed or supposed, as well! Or so I have found when going head to head. But, let's not hijack the thread.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 12:33   #352

Reynolds 33 with 7-foot dagger boards. The monohulls were all carrying too much sail and were alternately rounding up and getting knocked over. When I sail thru there in that kind of wind I have a reef in my main (40-foot monohull) and the genoa is rolled to 90%. The boats we were passing had full mains and 135% or bigger gennys. The reasoning, I guess, is that the wind around the point only lasts about a mile or mile and a half so why not sail thru overpowered?

The Reynolds sails like a dream with just a main - the jib is only 7/8 height and a 6-foot long foot so it is mainly used to direct air over the main. The boat has a 14-foot beam and is fast and delicate. So, in gusty conditions the owner gives up a knot or so of speed by furling the jib and leaving the 2nd reef in.

We still did 14-knots a lot of the time and surfed a bit in the swell coming around Pt Loma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind Drum Main small image.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	98902  
Old 15-03-2015, 14:08   #353

Quote:

- Hughes 58
- Brazzapi 51
- Helia
- Leopard 46
- Lagoon 440
- Lagoon 450
- Seawind 1160
- Leopard 39
- Maine Cat 31
- Reynolds 33
- Gemini 35

Education enough?
Sorry, I posted the link to a Schionning. Didn't know you weren't interested. (Didn't read the whole thread.) Didn't know you were so anti - facebook.

Just out of curiosity, why the dislike for Schionning and Grainger? They seem similar in concept to the boat you were interested in.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 15:06   #354
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I don't get the bias against Grainger at all. Tony Grainger would have to be one of the most successful multi designers of all time. And Schoinnings come in various sizes and philosophies, I don't particularly like G Forces but I do think the Wilderness is a great boat. Very interested to understand why the rejection of designers - as distinct from designs
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:35   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I don't get the bias against Grainger at all. Tony Grainger would have to be one of the most successful multi designers of all time. And Schoinnings come in various sizes and philosophies, I don't particularly like G Forces but I do think the Wilderness is a great boat. Very interested to understand why the rejection of designers - as distinct from designs
I said I did not like the Grainger - that particular boat!
I said I did not like the Schoinning - that particular boat!

I am not sure how this rush to advice has increased to a near crescendo - BUT - we've been sailing for over 40-years, we've been cruising off and on for 15-years, we've lived aboard off and on for 6-years.

We know what we want- we have visited hundreds of boats of different designs, we've cruised for months at a time with a wide variety of monohulls and catamarans. We've been on those boats for lunch, for drinks, for dinner, for parties, for maintenance, and to sail. We've spent many thousands of nights at anchor and have sailed more than 10,000 miles in the Pacific Ocean and 2,000 in the Atlantic. We've made five trips from Seattle to San Diego on four different boats. I've skippered at least 60 different boats over the years. We do know what we want.

We have personal prejudices, rational or not, they are ours! We will stick with those biases, pre-conceptions, and judgements based on a lot of experience.

The Grainger recommended to us did not ring a bell for us and we dismissed it as we dismissed the Schoinning in PV.

Why don't we just drop the suggestions and call this thread done?
Old 15-03-2015, 19:41   #356

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

TS,

Hope you can find a cat that ticks your boxes. Clearly you will know if you find one.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:20   #357

Guess I was just trying to help TS. I won't make that mistake again.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:38   #358

I am having trouble finding Reply's, how does this site work, cheers
ShawnArbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:45   #359

Hi not sure how this site works seems like a lot of messages are doubled up etc and when I get a message saying I have a reply I can not find it cheers
ShawnArbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 05:47   #360
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:

It does help to not be 'overpowered',...and one of the reasons I have favored an all-furling sail arrangement. Reefing and then unreefing the mainsail, particularly single-handed, has never been one of my favorites.

Quote:

- Hughes 58
- Brazzapi 51
- Helia
- Leopard 46
- Lagoon 440
- Lagoon 450
- Seawind 1160
- Leopard 39
- Maine Cat 31
- Reynolds 33
- Gemini 35

Education enough?
Quote:
We know what we want- we have visited hundreds of boats of different designs, we've cruised for months at a time with a wide variety of monohulls and catamarans. We've been on those boats for lunch, for drinks, for dinner, for parties, for maintenance, and to sail. We've spent many thousands of nights at anchor and have sailed more than 10,000 miles in the Pacific Ocean and 2,000 in the Atlantic. We've made five trips from Seattle to San Diego on four different boats. I've skippered at least 60 different boats over the years. We do know what we want.
That is impressive.
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran