Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 04:33   #76

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Re: Why doesn't this beautiful catamaran sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Sign me up for that sin, as well. Then you should assume the port engine has at least the same number of hours as the stbd. Mine are LCDs built into the tach and come on sometimes. But the engine still counts the hours. These may as well, so suggest you determine this. The actual number of hours for both may thus still be available.

Because I'm kinda guilty of the same crime, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this. But get it fixed anyway.

Dave
What is it with modern engine hour meters? I too have suffered from the same problem and sin, though have two functioning ones now.

One thing to check on the engine hours - sometimes there is a piece of equipment like a water maker or big alternator that is run from one engine, so that engine gets many more hours on it than the other. Otherwise I would expect the actual run hours on them to be roughly the same.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:09   #77
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
LOL

I guess for me it would not be the boat of my dreams with saildrives...

Every one has a compromise point......... I just would not have looked at it if it didnt meet my criteria. I just dont like the feeling of getting a boat and wishing that a major component was different. I can live with niggles but......

When I was married and having an immigration interview to move to a country in the 80s, my wife was asked what she didnt like about the country we/I were thinking of moving to.

She replied, "well only two things really, the country and the people".

We didnt get to go. Always good to have the team playing for the same side.

Bottom line is that if the mrs is against it...... and things about it are not what the OP likes.......... kinda like beating your head off the wall for the remainder of your life.

Doesnt make it a bad boat........ its just he has some self doubt and some wife issues to contend with...

She has to like it too, especially if he wants to live with her in harmony..

I don't think the Mrs. is against it, just worrying about resale and their ability to be able to handle the boat. I may be wrong, but I was under the impression the Mrs. wants a cat. But you are right, it's a decision that must be agreed on by both.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:48   #78

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If we compare the pics in post #7 to the 2007 pics and the latest ones then you can see there is a change to the boot stripe and water line. The 2007 pic shows a pinstripe boot then a space then the bootstripe then a bigger space and then the actual waterline and antifouling. Note that there is a little wave happening at the time of this pic so the thruhull location is in the trough which can create a false perspective. Look at the modern pics especially the one from post #7. The pinstripe is gone along with the space. The new bootstripe is where the pinstripe used to be and the waterline has been raised a couple of inches and that's why the sugar scoops are now so low in the water. They added too much weight somehow somewhere and had to raise the waterline to make it look better.
My main question is, is all that beautiful built in furniture original as in the 2007 pic or is some or all of it new in 2010? Something changed.

I wonder if the BAC question meant to say BUC which is a Blue Book for determining boat values. I doubt this one would be in there because of the limited production.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18   #79

She, like your wife, is one of a kind. You are in love. Make her a reasonable offer, how could she refuse you, the feelings are mutual? A life well lived is worth everything. Don't let her sail away with someone else; the lengthly courtship dance shows you three are meant for one another.
Gregg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:21   #80

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

the nice thing about an " overloaded" is that you just have to take things out to make it light again😚

the first thing i wld take out is that hugly windshield which breaks the nice lines of the boat

there are 3 affirdable fast freydis for sle in grance

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:26   #81

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

This is one example of why the boat don´t sell;
2009 Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I and a couple more told you that she sits low in the water. I saw this by myself when she was cruise ready. The scoops was under water.
I think you should by a cat with a lot less sail, so you can handle when something goes wrong. Keep the main under 75m2; Not bigger than you can lift it by yourself.
Pardon me for saying so, but I think you are stretching your free capital a bit to much. Otherwise you would have bought her long ago. Do yourself a favor a buy something smaller/cheaper.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:35   #82
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Maybe they removed weight from the bow rather than adding weight to the stern:-). Seems to me the op has spent a lot of time on her as well as doing a lot of research, I'm sure he's probably aware whether the sterns are squatting or not.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:05   #83

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_morwood View Post
What is it with modern engine hour meters? I too have suffered from the same problem and sin, though have two functioning ones now.
Just a brief thread drift:

Hi Mark - yep, seems this simple issue has too many legs. Mine are LCDs built into the Volvo tach and many Volvo owners with these tachs report the same thing. If this was your case, how did you fix it? Anecdotal evidence suggests a moisture problem in the tach, which may explain why mine come on once in a while - when something dries out.

Back to the topic -

Notwithstanding Mr. Weavis' sail drive phobia , it may behoove Mr. TacomaSailor to find out exactly how $6K was spent on the saildrives. That's probably enough to wholesale replace the legs and internals on both sides up to the transmissions. Given the problems of Yanmar drives of this vintage, perhaps the "rebuilt" drives brought them up to the improved designs?

To add some balance here, I am very happy with my Volvo saildrives and have had no issues with them. I'm preparing to replace the boot seals at age 14 years, not because they have failed, but because I don't think I'll get by another insurance survey without doing so and it's probably time, anyway, having doubled the replacement interval recommended by Volvo.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:07   #84

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
the nice thing about an " overloaded" is that you just have to take things out to make it light again😚

the first thing i wld take out is that hugly windshield which breaks the nice lines of the boat

there are 3 affirdable fast freydis for sle in grance

sorry for typos it s what happens when you're typing and walking with an iphone

beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:07   #85
cruiser

You've been looking at this boat for quite a while, apparently. I've only glanced through the thread, so bear with.

here's my impression:
At $500K, it's worth a personal trip, if you're mechanically inclined, to have a good hard look at the boat. If you don't see anything yourself to give you resolution as to why the boat hasn't sold, it might be worth another couple thousand to fly in a really good, tough surveyor and see if the survey finds out why the boat hasn't sold. It may be that the survey will suggest a price that might get the seller out of the clouds, and the savings will be worth the price of the surveyor, and survey might be instructive to you also as to what you're really getting into

good luck

ps
volvo tach issues have a thread here at CF describing how to clean the ribbon connection
engine hour differences: my starboard charges the house batts, as an example
my Volvo saildrives are original to the 20yo boat (although the boots aren't
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:10   #86
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
ID, did she have this really pretty interior with all that Corian when you saw her? I was just wondering if some of that was in the refit.

A few reasons why she's now stern low/bow high.
New roller furling boom
New hardtop bimini (the older pics show a soft top I think)
All that Marine Deck (4.5 kilos per sq. meter and there's a few square meters)
Corian (1/4" is 2.2 pounds a sq. ft. plus underlayment and the sinks are super heavy but maybe this was original).

BTW I just noticed there are no solar panels or did I miss them?
Yes, the interior is the same. She also had the hardtop, the Marine Deck, and the Corian. I don't recall her having solar panels, I'm just not sure.

The biggest difference I'm seeing is the boom furler, but I don't think there's enough weight aft in those to make such a difference.

I'm betting it's about trimming the boat. If I recall correctly -- and I might not, that's been a while -- all or most of the tankage is forward. It might just be that in the more recent pictures, the fuel and water tanks are empty, so she's just out of trim. That would be easy to find out.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post

Back to the topic -

Notwithstanding Mr. Weavis' sail drive phobia , it may behoove Mr. TacomaSailor to find out exactly how $6K was spent on the saildrives.

Dave
I was trying to make a point about being 'ruthless' with the checklist

Man, I could get so sidetracked with other things on boats that it would be easy to go away from my original plan....

In the end, whatever T.S. does, I wish him all the best with his boat, his wifes approval and his ability to sail the vessel easily...... I KNOW many people say 50+ feet is easy to single hand......... Im just not sure that I want to look up and see all that sail area when some days it takes me all day to do what I used to do in 2 hours.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:32   #88

Boat: Boatless

Having owned a 50' Dutch built custom cat for 10 years have some thoughts.

First longer and wider the better. We always found haul out and docks (learned to cruise in to marinas before asking, once they see you usually can put you someplace.

Custom boats harder to sell but you get much more bang for the buck. They are usually built and outfitted by caring and involved owners with experience. Lots of unique details that just makes them unique.

All posters who said price not at market are correct. Closer to 350-400 or less. Most spending 500k plus will go Catana or similar production. We paid 330 for our 1997 (in 2001) and sold for 250 in 2012. Not bad in the world of boats! Lived in the Bahamas, Western Caribbean, crossed pacific, lived in NZ for 7 years and made trips back and forth to Fiji and Tonga. Priceless.

You'll have a lot of fun with her. 67? Have a ball!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:38   #89

Boat: Catana 471

Hi Mr. Weavis - you're looking well today. How 'bout joining me for a rum later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I KNOW many people say 50+ feet is easy to single hand......... Im just not sure that I want to look up and see all that sail area when some days it takes me all day to do what I used to do in 2 hours.....
Depending on one's definition of "easy" I could conclude that none are easy to single hand. This also depends on what mode of operation is being considered. Up and sailing, most can be no-handed. It's the starting and stopping that requires all the work. But in my view, there are not more than minor differences from cruising boat to cruising boat. Indeed, some larger yachts may be easier to single hand simply because it's those that are more likely to have powered winches and windlasses.

BUT - I can attest that removing and re-installing a large mainsail is damn hard work, no matter how many helpers you have. Slinging a buffer around the entire hulls is damn hard work. Sanding the old bottom paint is damn hard work. All of this just gets damn harder the bigger the boat.

How big is big is a personal preference. I'll never have a bigger boat. I don't know what my next boat will be (if any), but I am pretty sure what my last boat will be - a Sunfish.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:44   #90

Boat: Boatless

One more thought. Bigger easier to handle and maneuver solo. My wife and I sailed with two daughters starting at ages 1 and 4. During the day I would push her a bit and average around 8-9 knots. In the eve would put in 2 or 3 reefs in the main and adjust the roller furling based on conditions over night. Slowed down to 5-6 but didn't care, easy watches and no dramas.

I've sailed from Bahamas to Florida and Tonga to Fiji solo, just magical. The larger cats "stay put" better in tight spaces and with a little pre docking prep can be easily secured by oneself. The rest of the time it was my wife and I and again little drama.

Can you tell I'm boatless at the moment :-) At the end of the day I remember all the memories of that decade of our lives and rarely think about what a terrible financial decision boats are. (Be smart but at the same time be smart)

Again, enjoy the process of finding your Cat, it's a good part of the fun!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran