Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-06-2012, 18:21   #31

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Re: Why do Modern Designs Seem to Have Really Small Saloons?

Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Nice, but it's as well to dress for the weather just in case of mob or deck work. It's not a good idea to put things off 'till later because the wet gears stowed away.
And the aerodynamic drag for that windscreen is awful. I hate them. If they have to be built in make them shallow sloped and add roof lights below to get more light in the cabin.
A hard roof? Absolutely every time because if it isn't solar radiation doing your skin in it's wet rot.
Remote auto-pilot controls allow a good watch from the saloon (on Cats) if you really feel the need to be indoors.

Guess we are spoilt in Queensland, Australia by comparison with your area. Keeping sun and rain away are priorities as cold is rarely a factor.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:17   #32

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
What's the completed cost expected to be?
Not really sure. It depends on what I put in/on the boat and what one includes in the cost. For example, I am going to buy a small outboard for the plywood tender that came with the catamaran - so is this part of the catamaran cost? Not sure. The boat is mostly done but needs its sails, some solar panels, engine testing, wiring completed, more ground tackle, and probably some things I haven't thought of yet. Likely less than $25K. And Nigel is VERY picky about his materials and quality control so is careful in choosing and cultivating his suppliers. Nigel mostly builds the bare boat and it is up to the new owner to finish it up and outfit it - one can probably spend a lot doing this, but I am trying to keep things simple and inexpensive for now and will eventually upgrade things when I know more.

Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 13:13   #33

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I would suggest that a 40 ft cat is not "made for" 8 people, but rather that there are 4 double beds shoe-horned into a space "made for" 2-4 people. For 2-4 people, these boats are positively luxurious, with plenty of room to disappear from one another as much as is needed.

Also, keep in mind that 8 adults do not all need to sit on the couch at once, and then all stand on the foredeck at once, then all sit out on the aft deck all at once. In a realistic situation, someone will be on the helm, maybe two, a few people will be sitting at the couch, someone will be taking a nap (maybe two). The remaining 3 or 4 people actually have plenty of options and room to roam, even on a boat loaded with 8 adults.

ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: