Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 16:02   #736
med

Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

This is by some definitions a cruising cat:-

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...tFPSfgRQWog_TZ

He sailed it around the world.
Old 02-12-2015, 16:38   #737

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post

And a Mexican fisherman drifted across the Pacific in his fishing boat on a 14 month "cruise" too.
What's your point? That some people do some bizarre things in sailboats every once in a while?
Old 02-12-2015, 17:09   #738
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
And a Mexican fisherman drifted across the Pacific in his fishing boat on a 14 month "cruise" too.
What's your point? That some people do some bizarre things in sailboats every once in a while?
He's addressing a previous statement that said, and I'm paraphrasing, that what determines a cruising boat is whether it's used as a cruising boat or not.

I think some designers might take issue with that..

Of course the gentlemen in question is trying to create this context to support his earlier claims. The majority of which have already been disproven.
Old 02-12-2015, 17:15   #739
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Thanksgiving day, closing reaching on the ICW inshore of Cape Caniveral with no tide or current.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	114214  
Old 02-12-2015, 17:17   #740
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

And towing the dink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	114215  
Old 02-12-2015, 17:26   #741

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post

And what an accomplishment even if he had to rebuild the boat at the middle of it (shipwrecked on a shore: he fall asleep).

A great sailor Peyron and while he was doing this incredibly dangerous stunt his brother, also a great multihull sailor, died in a stupid dive accident
Old 02-12-2015, 18:15   #742

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
He's addressing a previous statement that said, and I'm paraphrasing, that what determines a cruising boat is whether it's used as a cruising boat or not.

I think some designers might take issue with that..

Of course the gentlemen in question is trying to create this context to support his earlier claims. The majority of which have already been disproven.
Yeah, I got that. His arguement is just silly. Can you imagine going to sea in a boat with NO TRANSOM AT ALL !!!

It's just my sense of humour. I was being, how shall we say, a bit sardonic/sarcastic/ironic?

Sure, people's idea of what constitutes cruising will vary, but certain safety considerations are not negotiable for SAFE cruising. People can risk lives going to sea in unseaworthy boats, but to call that cruising is to demean the term.

I guess one way to look at it is whether the boat considered to be a "cruiser" complies with ISAF Cat 1 off shore regs? Of course then they say, "But I only move every week or so a few miles up the coast gunkholing, so I don't need all that off shore stuff. But I'm a cruiser."

Fair enuf, horses for courses.

PT Barnum said something like " A fool and his money are soon parted." A similar saying could be "A foolhardy cruiser will be sorted out by the sea, sooner or later. She shows no mercy."
Old 02-12-2015, 18:18   #743
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Yeah, I got that. His arguement is just silly. Can you imagine going to sea in a boat with NO TRANSOM AT ALL !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie
It's just my sense of humour. I was being, how shall we say, a bit sardonic/sarcastic/ironic?
Fair cop guv, you got me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie
Sure, people's idea of what constitutes cruising will vary, but certain safety considerations are not negotiable for SAFE cruising. People can risk lives going to sea in unseaworthy boats, but to call that cruising is to demean the term.

I guess one way to look at it is whether the boat considered to be a "cruiser" complies with ISAF Cat 1 off shore regs? Of course then they say, "But I only move every week or so a few miles up the coast gunkholing, so I don't need all that off shore stuff. But I'm a cruiser."

PT Barnum said something like " A fool and his money are soon parted." A similar saying could be "A foolhardy cruiser will be sorted out by the sea, sooner or later. She shows no mercy."
Some very good points..
Old 02-12-2015, 20:47   #744

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yeah, wasn't us. The new boat is likely Bob's, and he hasn't got sails yet. He really does have to motor 100% of the time, for the next few days anyway.

The other might be Bob's old boat, Mango. It's in the area.

Are you going to be at RH for a while?
Yes, I live there. Guess they sailed/motored over to Kingfisher to shelter from the S-SE's, currently gusting over 30 knots.

Bob's new boat certainly gets along on just the motors. Perhaps he doesn't really need sails
Old 02-12-2015, 23:59   #745

He needs the sails alright. spoke to him today and he's already sick of motoring. Should have them next week.

John McEnroe
Old 03-12-2015, 04:34   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
And what an accomplishment even if he had to rebuild the boat at the middle of it (shipwrecked on a shore: he fall asleep).

A great sailor Peyron and while he was doing this incredibly dangerous stunt his brother, also a great multihull sailor, died in a stupid dive accident
I am getting old. Peyron is another great cat sailor . The brothers I was talking about are the Bourgnon, also great sailors.

On my site you will find out the story and videos (I cannot post a link)

Le défi Yvan Bourgnon
Old 03-12-2015, 05:06   #747

Quote:

I agree with a good measure of seaworthiness is to comply with ISAF Cat 1 even if ISAF cat 1 is a Class A RCD certified on a boat equipped in a very safe way. In what regards monohulls:
https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2015Mo1-[18231].pdf

If one wants to have a bigger safety margin he can always chose a boat that complies with ISAF cat 0 that demands a superior seaworthiness, this time the stability requirements are bigger than the ones on the RCD:
https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2015Mo0-[18230].pdf

For multihulls you have also Class 1 and class 0 even if in what regards stability demands they are less specific than with monohulls (have to be RCD class a approved). More on the conditions the boat must have to assure survival when the boat is capsized and off course, safety equipment.
https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2015Mu1-[18237].pdf
https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2015Mu0-[18236].pdf

Regarding an open transom to be detrimental regarding safety I guess you are joking. Many class 0 monohulls have an open transom.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:10   #748

I just wanted to subscribe to this thread.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:16   #749
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Regarding an open transom to be detrimental regarding safety I guess you are joking. Many class 0 monohulls have an open transom.
You are using Racing Rules to suggest what is safe for cruising, doewsn't make sense to me - but what would I know. And if you think an open transom is a good thing for a cruising boat, particularly one crewed by a couple rather than a team of 15 then you have little knowledge of what it is that blue water cruisers actually do
Old 03-12-2015, 12:42   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You are using Racing Rules to suggest what is safe for cruising, doewsn't make sense to me - but what would I know. And if you think an open transom is a good thing for a cruising boat, particularly one crewed by a couple rather than a team of 15 then you have little knowledge of what it is that blue water cruisers actually do
Yes you know it all

It was not me that suggested that complying demands on boats and equipment for safety racing offshore would be a good idea in what regards safety on cruising boats.

Quote:
Even if I consider it a good idea. Regarding those racing rules, open cockpits and only being safe with 15 aboard you seem to not know that those rules also apply for solo or duo ocean racing and that almost all of those boats have an open transom.

You seem also to ignore that there are many top long range cruisers with open transoms. You even seem to believe that open transoms are dangerous

Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor