Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 06:12   #391

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

There is a charter Lagoon 450 just down the quay from us. I finally got up the nerve to ask to go aboard & have a look, fearing from all the hype here that I'd come back wanting a new boat. I don't like the look of cats, but was prepared to find out what is so attractive on the inside.

I wasn't impressed. This 4-cabin version definitely had lots of room for four couples, with plenty of separation, but it left me flat. I found it had little common room on the inside, and no character at all. Of course, I like the traditional 'cave' so that may explain my impressions. Anyhow, no fear of my converting.

As far as the original topic, I've also noticed a lot of cats seem to motor more often than sail but I had put that down to the large charter fleet in Palma. We see many cats motor sailing as well.
Old 30-07-2015, 06:22   #392
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
There is a charter Lagoon 450 just down the quay from us. I finally got up the nerve to ask to go aboard & have a look, fearing from all the hype here that I'd come back wanting a new boat. I don't like the look of cats, but was prepared to find out what is so attractive on the inside.

I wasn't impressed. This 4-cabin version definitely had lots of room for four couples, with plenty of separation, but it left me flat. I found it had little common room on the inside, and no character at all. Of course, I like the traditional 'cave' so that may explain my impressions. Anyhow, no fear of my converting.

As far as the original topic, I've also noticed a lot of cats seem to motor more often than sail but I had put that down to the large charter fleet in Palma. We see many cats motor sailing as well.
So.... you're a cave woman. A Sunreef would change your mind in a second.

Personally, for living aboard in the Med hopping from anchorage to anchorage, the owners version Lagoon 450 makes perfect sense. I really like the idea of being able to look out the living room windows 360 and very little rock n roll.
Old 30-07-2015, 06:24   #393
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post

If its any consolation, Im not keen on this model either. Others however have lots of character and charm.
Old 30-07-2015, 13:46   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our observations were based on where we've cruised and where we have cruised. Nothing to retract because they are accurate and continue to be so.

Then I can't see why it should be seen as unreasonable for me to post my own observations, along with photographic evidence.

From what I've seen, mono's rarely turn their engines off underway. Whether they have sails up or not. Even Sydney - Hobart winners.
Old 30-07-2015, 13:54   #395
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Then I can't see why it should be seen as unreasonable for me to post my own observations, along with photographic evidence.

From what I've seen, mono's rarely turn their engines off underway. Whether they have sails up or not. Even Sydney - Hobart winners.
I don't really care what you do, I just can't understand why you're so focussed on the thread title and continue to assume I had, and continue to have alterior motives for making my first post.

Continue to be obnoxious if that's what pleases you. "Whatever floats your boat."

Or... Maybe you can instead choose to be helpful by assisting me to figure out how to upload my videos on my iPad that you and others have expressed an interest in viewing on CF? :-)

Ken
Old 30-07-2015, 14:18   #396

I don't recall expressing any interest in seeing your videos?
Old 30-07-2015, 14:29   #397

To console you, here's some video's I took from catamarans motoring 100% of the time... apparently.

Old 30-07-2015, 14:36   #398
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I don't recall expressing any interest in seeing your videos?
Im very sorry, I had you mixed up with another fellow.

Please continue just to be obnoxious if that's what pleases you most, or you can help me figure out how to upload my videos from my iPad to CF so that the others who would like to see them... Will be able to. Several members requested to see videos of the sea state here in the Med with winds blowing 30 knots, 35 knots and forty knots with a monohull bashing headlong into the waves.... I'm trying to upload the ones I recorded on my iPad the other day.

Going to bed now. Good night.

Thanks.

Ken
Old 30-07-2015, 14:38   #399

Obnoxious? You mean like making ridiculous assertions about how certain boats motor 100% of the time. Obnoxious like that?

Anyway, I tried to help, by posting some videos of cat's motoring. 100% of the time.
Old 30-07-2015, 14:45   #400
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Geez those honda 20s are bloody quick motors.

(Of course they are outboards, so not only do you motor 100% of the time, you use the wrong engines to do it - shame on you)
Old 30-07-2015, 14:50   #401

They are. 25000 miles in 1000 hours. That's like, just about, the "fastest boat ever built"!!!!
Old 30-07-2015, 14:52   #402
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Let's begin again.

Can anyone share foul weather experiences on catamarans? How do they handle under power or sail?

Spiv wrote an informed post at little earlier... How about another?
Hi Ken, We have sailed cats for well over twenty years and have lived aboard virtually gthe whole time and have 'clocked' around 75,000 nm. As for bad weather; yes, of course. To write the whole sad saga here would be too long, but the boat handled the weather rather better than we did. We sailed (not motored!) through the weather each time. Our worst conditions were off South Africa in winds that the coast guard id'ed as gusting into the high 80's (knots) and up to 15meter waves. Absolutely scary stuff. Several boats sank and a container ship lost dozens of containers overboard. After that a force 8 seemed a lot more manageable. As a slight wander, we collected a US sailor in the Red Sea that had a split open open wooded boat with half the mast hanging over the side. We managed to pick him up in a force 8 using a RIB - he could not believe the comfort of a cat. If you want more details I can happily share them?
Old 30-07-2015, 14:56   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Ken, We have sailed cats for well over twenty years and have lived aboard virtually gthe whole time and have 'clocked' around 75,000 nm. As for bad weather; yes, of course. To write the whole sad saga here would be too long, but the boat handled the weather rather better than we did. We sailed (not motored!) through the weather each time. Our worst conditions were off South Africa in winds that the coast guard id'ed as gusting into the high 80's (knots) and up to 15meter waves. Absolutely scary stuff. Several boats sank and a container ship lost dozens of containers overboard. After that a force 8 seemed a lot more manageable. As a slight wander, we collected a US sailor in the Red Sea that had a split open open wooded boat with half the mast hanging over the side. We managed to pick him up in a force 8 using a RIB - he could not believe the comfort of a cat. If you want more details I can happily share them?
This Is Not Possible.

Don't you understand your boat has the hydrodynamics and aerodynamics of a brick?

Absolutely. Not. Possible.
Old 30-07-2015, 14:59   #404
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Well... When everything returned back to a dead calm following the storm, it's a good thing one of those wayward shipping containers didn't ram into you like in the Robert Redford movie.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Please let me know when you might be traveling through my area sometime, either in Boston or here in Sardinia/Corsica. I'd really enjoy spending some time together hearing about your cruising adventures. We can also share some medical stories.

BTW, what are you doing up so late at night?

Ken
Old 30-07-2015, 15:01   #405
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
Kenomac, cross the Atlantic on an ocean going cat and you'll never go back to a mono
I did, and you are right.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor