Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 05:22   #316

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
How does your boat handle heading directly into force 8? Sustained 35-40 knots, 15-18 foot choppy seas. When I get to a wifi spot, maybe I can download a video of the encounter we had, wet on the outside, dry on the inside, no worries about safety and my wife casually reading a book in the cockpit up until she gets doused by a wave. That part will need to be edited due to the language content. :-)
Like I said, you found validation for your choice of boat. Be happy and don't worry about other people's choices, nor seek further validation from them.

Maybe focus on perceived short-comings of smaller and larger Oysters from yours? That may help further narrow things for you.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-07-2015, 05:25   #317
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That would make for a nice video. Good time to get out the GoPro!
That's what I thought too, so I shot a few minutes. It's really kinda boring, it never really looks like when your actually there. The waves never look as big and choppy. I think it has to do with your head acting like a gimbal for the camera and nothing familiar for the observer to compare size.
Old 28-07-2015, 05:28   #318
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Like I said, you found validation for your choice of boat. Be happy and don't worry about other people's choices, nor seek further validation from them.

Maybe focus on perceived short-comings of smaller and larger Oysters from yours? That may help further narrow things for you.

Mark
In other words... You don't know, because you haven't been there. You just prefer taking personal shots to stir up the pot.

Please continue to feel free to make a positive contribution to the thread. :-)
Old 28-07-2015, 05:37   #319

Quote:
In other words... You don't know, because you haven't been there. You just like taking shots to stir up the pot.

Please continue to feel free to make a positive contribution to the thread. :-)
In other words, you don't know what it is like to be in those conditions on a catamaran or coastal cruiser to compare with. You just like stating how you perceive the comparison to stir up the pot.

Please continue to feel free to make things up and state cherry-picked examples as facts.

BTW, I was attempting to contribute positively by helping you understand that your choice of boat is validated with you, and you should be happy with that. It is polite to not seek further validation from attempting to belittle the choices and preferences of others. Particularly if you are uninformed and lack experience/expertise.

Which is exactly how you come across, if you read the responses to your thread with an open mind.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-07-2015, 05:38   #320
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's what I thought too, so I shot a few minutes. It's really kinda boring, it never really looks like when your actually there. The waves never look as big and choppy. I think it has to do with your head acting like a gimbal for the camera and nothing familiar for the observer to compare size.
I understand.

But, I think that sailors who have "been there" or sensed those same feelings, will get it.

The video does not have to look like a "Roaring 40s Race on a Volvo 60" to be interesting to see.
Old 28-07-2015, 06:14   #321
cruiser

I'll try to download a couple during this next week.
Old 28-07-2015, 06:23   #322
cruiser

Quote:
In other words, you don't know what it is like to be in those conditions on a catamaran or coastal cruiser to compare with. You just like stating how you perceive the comparison to stir up the pot.

Please continue to feel free to make things up and state cherry-picked examples as facts.

BTW, I was attempting to contribute positively by helping you understand that your choice of boat is validated with you, and you should be happy with that. It is polite to not seek further validation from attempting to belittle the choices and preferences of others. Particularly if you are uninformed and lack experience/expertise.

Which is exactly how you come across, if you read the responses to your thread with an open mind.

Mark
thanks for the psychological annalysis..
Old 28-07-2015, 06:44   #323
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Gosh!

World war 3 started. My intent was to put a little personal experience and then get others to comment regarding their experience in a blow whilst piloting a CAt.

Seems that I got my wish.

No one wants to head into bad weather. Except for my pal Mike who loves it but he has a weird streak-I digress. The question was regarding the lack of experience of sailing a CAT when caught out, and whether it is worse or better than experienced in a mono. The confines of speculation needed to be opened into CF experience.

I have never sailed an Oyster. Im sure its a fine boat from all accounts. I have sailed Catamarans and large motor vessels and small and large sailing monos and each behaves differently in certain seaways. Most certainly there are motions that I dont care for on a Cat, but to say that I would not want to be on one during the episode described above, uncomfortable as it was, is not true from my experience.

Actually, I would not willingly be on one but I would have no worries if it happened to me and I was caught out as Ken was.

It is my hope that we can just present facts and accept the differences and strengths and weaknesses of VESSELS as opposed to blanket statements that do not describe the reality.

I tell you this much, if a cat was not able to handle what Ken experienced then no one should buy a Cat...
Old 28-07-2015, 07:10   #324
cruiser

Let's begin again.

Can anyone share foul weather experiences on catamarans? How do they handle under power or sail?

Spiv wrote an informed post at little earlier... How about another?
Old 28-07-2015, 07:25   #325

Quote:
thanks for the psychological annalysis..
You're welcome - I hope it helped.

Mark

Old 28-07-2015, 07:32   #326
cruiser

Quote:
You're welcome - I hope it helped.

Mark
It definitely helped keep this thread at the top of the board. :-)

Now let me ask again... Can you contribute any, and I mean any personal experiences on how a catamaran will handle Force 8? My inquiring, psychologically deficient mind wants to know.

Please enlighten us all. Personally, I just can't figure out how a rectangular object with significant windage can punch holes through waves and wind better than a pointed object. Please tell us?
Old 28-07-2015, 07:35   #327
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but lets not forget the be nice rule please
Old 28-07-2015, 07:43   #328
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'll try to download a couple during this next week.
Old 28-07-2015, 07:47   #329
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but lets not forget the be nice rule please
Yeah folks!

I have been enjoying this thread because it does bring out different experiences, and those are interesting to read.

Just don't let differences of opinion and sharp analysis get personal.

I fully expect that different people have different opinion and experiences too. It is the experiences that we should all be able to hear about.
Old 28-07-2015, 07:51   #330
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
It definitely helped keep this thread at the top of the board. :-)

Now let me ask again... Can you contribute any, and I mean any personal experiences on how a catamaran will handle Force 8? My inquiring, psychologically deficient mind wants to know.

Please enlighten us all. Personally, I just can't figure out how a rectangular object with significant windage can punch holes through waves and wind better than a pointed object. Please tell us?
It is pointed. 2 sharp hulls balanced over a width.
Windage is assuaged via sail involvement.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor