Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 16:35   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The answers are thus:

1) cat owners are soft - the only reason they own a sailboat at all is for the comfort and space.
2) cat owners by being soft are naturally lazy.
3) lazy boat owners do not necessarily learn to sail. They just want the space to party and have friends aboard.
4) cats actually sail very fast, so lazy sailors do not want to bother putting up the sails to only arrive 10 minutes later and take it all down again. Waste of time. Just motor.

Please send me lots of money for my Caribbean Boat Fund. I would like a Lagoon 39 two cabin premiere version. I will sail it. Promise. i will show you.

Thank you

SaltyMonkey - hey thats me!
I was going home.
However after reading this, I have to clean up the computer and desk.....
Old 02-07-2015, 16:39   #47

Boat: Lightwave 45

I think we need to explode a few myths here.

Low use of diesels is a good thing.

This is categorically not true. Diesels are designed to be used and used frequently. Studies have shown that a diesel that is frequently used will have 3-4 times the life of those that are not.

Further diesels are generally the best source for charging house batteries and generating hot water in the shortest possible time.

Sailing is free

Again categorically untrue. Abrasion of sails against stays and stretching. Chafe on the halyard and sheets. Wear on goosenecks, furling equipment and blocks. This all costs money in the longer term.

Most cruisers enjoy sailing passages

Based on the comments on this forum I am sure that there are those that enjoy the sheer thrill of sailing for sailings sake. Give me a half day out on a fast boat in good conditions then I am there. However, I have yet to meet anyone, and I have talked to hundreds, who tell me that they particularly enjoy passages, especially extended passages with overnighters, from place to place. Rather the discussion seems to revolve around the most efficient means to get the boat from A to B so that they can enjoy their next destination.

Depending on sea conditions my boat is capable of moving from point A to point B with one motor at 7 knots, so if I can sail faster than that I will. Otherwise I will motor/sail or motor. If I cannot make the rhumb line under sail then I will use the advantage of motors in conjunction with sail. Not withstanding those that will now say that they do not do this because of some philosophical whimsy, I believe the vast majority of cruisers will use the motors if it is sensible to do so.

Now some monos and cats sail better at low wind speeds so they will spend more time sailing, but in return for this generally your general living comfort is reduced. Others want more comfort and as a general rule their boats take higher winds until sailing is optimal. These are personal decisions.

As for charterers it seems to me that generally in order to defer cost they pack as many people on board and wish to get to as many places as possible in the shortest possible team with the least fuss. It is no surprise to me that they motor most of the time.
Old 02-07-2015, 16:48   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I guess his xenophobia extends to those with more than one hull unless he's online!
Old 02-07-2015, 16:48   #49

Boat: Lightwave 45

Quote:
The answers are thus:

1) cat owners are soft - the only reason they own a sailboat at all is for the comfort and space.
2) cat owners by being soft are naturally lazy.
3) lazy boat owners do not necessarily learn to sail. They just want the space to party and have friends aboard.
4) cats actually sail very fast, so lazy sailors do not want to bother putting up the sails to only arrive 10 minutes later and take it all down again. Waste of time. Just motor.
An accurate and succinct summary. Cat users are also significant consumers of alcohol and find that pressing a button is easier than operating an electric winch. One tends to lose less fingers that way.
Old 02-07-2015, 16:49   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Btw, I always sail my cat as I can motor around 6 knots in flat water but sail at 10-12 in the winds he's mentioning.
Old 02-07-2015, 17:18   #51

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So, there's no need to climb the mast? Is it done from the upper deck?

The one or two I saw had a continuous line that ran along the top of one side of the bag and routed with small blocks down on the side of the mast opposite the main winch. It was a clever thing. You could unzip and raise the main in a minute or less. Same when dropping the main. The oversize bag hurts the performance I guess but it was easy to manage. Unhooking the halyard was a bit of a chore but not terrible.

I have also seen one that zipped and unzipped from about where the topping lift attached.

Some roller booms have a clever canvas cover that rolls and unrolls over the throat of the furler. There are many ways to make the boom bag or rolling boom easy even for the really high goose necks.
Old 02-07-2015, 17:45   #52
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post

This is categorically not true. Diesels are designed to be used and used frequently. Studies have shown that a diesel that is frequently used will have 3-4 times the life of those that are not.
He's write. You should use your diesel ngin at least 8 hours per month.

And if you have two of em in a cat, well, that's 16 hours of use per month for sure!

Old 02-07-2015, 17:45   #53

Boat: Monk 36

I have a friend who charters sailing cats in the Caribbean. He never puts up the sails, only motors. He tells me they are cheaper to charter than power cats and are more available.
Old 02-07-2015, 18:07   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Wonder why nobody asked 44c to calibrate the instruments. ROFL
To be honest I don't know how to calibrate my GPS.
Old 02-07-2015, 18:23   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
I have a friend who charters sailing cats in the Caribbean. He never puts up the sails, only motors. He tells me they are cheaper to charter than power cats and are more available.
OK help me out here..you are saying that the sailing cats are cheaper than just motorized cats??? Doesn't seem to make sense
Old 02-07-2015, 19:03   #56

Boat: Monk 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
OK help me out here..you are saying that the sailing cats are cheaper than just motorized cats??? Doesn't seem to make sense
That's what he tells me. I have not confirmed it because I like to sail 'em.
Old 02-07-2015, 19:24   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
That's what he tells me. I have not confirmed it because I like to sail 'em.
Well of course I have no direct knowledge of the price differences but it seems to me that when you remove the cost of all the rigging/sails/mast etc. there would be a huge savings and they should rent for less. Either way I am told that they are becoming very popular.
Old 03-07-2015, 00:06   #58

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
To be honest I don't know how to calibrate my GPS.
Calibrate the wind vane! certainly these 30 degrees can't be right. Hard on the wind on the other tack it will read at least 60 degrees
Old 03-07-2015, 00:09   #59

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

[QUOTE=cwjohm;1861063]

However, I have yet to meet anyone, and I have talked to hundreds, who tell me that they particularly enjoy passages, especially extended passages with overnighters, from place to place.

We've never met in person - here is one guy (and his wife) who love sailing overnight - night sailing is utterly fantastic and should be enjoyed to the max.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 03-07-2015, 00:16   #60
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
I think we need to explode a few myths here.

Further diesels are generally the best source for charging house batteries and generating hot water in the shortest possible time.

Sailing is free

Again categorically untrue. Abrasion of sails against stays and stretching. Chafe on the halyard and sheets. Wear on goosenecks, furling equipment and blocks. This all costs money in the longer term.

Most cruisers enjoy sailing passages

Based on the comments on this forum I am sure that there are those that enjoy the sheer thrill of sailing for sailings sake. Give me a half day out on a fast boat in good conditions then I am there. However, I have yet to meet anyone, and I have talked to hundreds, who tell me that they particularly enjoy passages, especially extended passages with overnighters, from place to place. Rather the discussion seems to revolve around the most efficient means to get the boat from A to B so that they can enjoy their next destination.

Depending on sea conditions my boat is capable of moving from point A to point B with one motor at 7 knots, so if I can sail faster than that I will. Otherwise I will motor/sail or motor. If I cannot make the rhumb line under sail then I will use the advantage of motors in conjunction with sail. Not withstanding those that will now say that they do not do this because of some philosophical whimsy, I believe the vast majority of cruisers will use the motors if it is sensible to do so.

Now some monos and cats sail better at low wind speeds so they will spend more time sailing, but in return for this generally your general living comfort is reduced. Others want more comfort and as a general rule their boats take higher winds until sailing is optimal. These are personal decisions.

As for charterers it seems to me that generally in order to defer cost they pack as many people on board and wish to get to as many places as possible in the shortest possible team with the least fuss. It is no surprise to me that they motor most of the time.

Just for fun ()...

Solar is the best way to charge batteries. Quiet.

Who needs hot water in the summer? With the tank in the bridge deck the cold water is in the 80s and I generally shower with that (I do have hot water).

The most efficient way to travel is generally either airplane or car. Who's kidding who?

---

But yes, you are dead on. Drifting is not sailing, and with a charter group time is money.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor