Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 00:50   #976
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,080
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Beautiful Plumage the Norwegian Blue, sadly it can't fly to windward
__________________

__________________
Factor is online now  
Old 11-02-2016, 02:19   #977
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
Posts: 1,029
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

I cannot believe that this thread has lasted a 1000 posts to prove that "the cats don't motor nearly 100 %". I am probably sailing more than anybodyelse here not only for pleausure but also as a part of my business, mostly in Turkish coasts and Dodocanese islands. Regardless whether it's a mono or cat , I see 80-90 % of boats motoring even with favourable winds not to mention upwind sailing. I've asked myself many time the question "why the hell these people are buying a sail boat ?"
Most of the mono's and increasingly are carrying a "senseless" furling main which doesn't do any good anyway. (by the way, some cat manufacturers also are now offering a furling main sail option which to me is stupid..) Most mono's have huge genoas (130-140 %) that at most they unfurl a bit and moving somehow using also their engines most of the time.
The ones who try to get everything possible out of any breeze are live aboards or people with limited budget trying to save the max from the fuel expenses.
Charter customers are motoring a lot and I know by the quantities of refueling when they are back to our base and I can understand this to certain extend. For cruisers, it's hard to understand, I prefer sailing at 3 kts rather than motoring at 6 kts.
And if you are in hurry, there even faster ways of doing it..


Cheers


Yeloya
__________________

__________________
yeloya is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 03:04   #978
med
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 186
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I've asked myself many time the question "why the hell these people are buying a sail boat ?"
May because a sailboat in many senses makes a better motorboat than most motorboats.

Northwest Passage 2014: Sailboat v Motorboat - FIRST decide what is important to YOU - after all - you will be spending many hours aboard
med is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 03:52   #979
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I cannot believe that this thread has lasted a 1000 posts to prove that "the cats don't motor nearly 100 %". I am probably sailing more than anybodyelse here not only for pleausure but also as a part of my business, mostly in Turkish coasts and Dodocanese islands. Regardless whether it's a mono or cat , I see 80-90 % of boats motoring even with favourable winds not to mention upwind sailing. I've asked myself many time the question "why the hell these people are buying a sail boat ?"
Most of the mono's and increasingly are carrying a "senseless" furling main which doesn't do any good anyway. (by the way, some cat manufacturers also are now offering a furling main sail option which to me is stupid..) Most mono's have huge genoas (130-140 %) that at most they unfurl a bit and moving somehow using also their engines most of the time.
The ones who try to get everything possible out of any breeze are live aboards or people with limited budget trying to save the max from the fuel expenses.
Charter customers are motoring a lot and I know by the quantities of refueling when they are back to our base and I can understand this to certain extend. For cruisers, it's hard to understand, I prefer sailing at 3 kts rather than motoring at 6 kts.
And if you are in hurry, there even faster ways of doing it..


Cheers


Yeloya

Exactly Yeloya. Maybe it's time for a thread title change. 'Why do yachts motor nearly 100% of the time to windward'
__________________
monte is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 03:53   #980
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
Posts: 1,029
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
Could be, but at least for Turks I can say that many of them are buying a sail boat as a matter of status; they are ashamed of saying that they own a motorboat.. Sailboat sounds more trendy, sexy and sporty.. Who cares whether they sail or not..
Cheers

Yeloya
__________________
yeloya is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 04:41   #981
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia
Boat: Lagoon 380 #241
Posts: 298
Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Last December (2015) we were holed up with some 20 plus boats at Inskip Point waiting for a window to head south over the Wide Bay Bar. On the 9th December after 5 days of strong winds everybody headed out to the bar at 5am. Multihulls & Monohulls, big & small. As far as I could see, every boat that day was motor sailing to be able to make it down to Mooloolaba & beyond in daylight.



So I guess I could say "why does every sail boat (multi & mono) motor 100% of the time". Go figure!



Dave
__________________
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05   #982
Moderator
 
Paul Elliott's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,857
Images: 4
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
That is a misquote as well. most people think that Decartes said "I think therefore I am" what he really said was "Poto ergo sum" - I drink therefore I am.
"Cogito ergo spud" ("I think I'd like fries with that.")
-Descartes
__________________
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline  
Old 11-02-2016, 12:58   #983
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,450
Images: 69
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Exactly Yeloya. Maybe it's time for a thread title change. 'Why do yachts motor nearly 100% of the time to windward'
Well I did ask why monohulls even have sails. Never received a satisfactory answer.

I think they're for decorative purposes.
__________________
"You CANNOT be serious!"


John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline  
Old 20-02-2016, 21:50   #984
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Backwards, forwards, upwind, downwind and around the topic has been discussed. With some actual good information.

However, all good things must come to a close, and as such, this thread is done.

Closed.

Now go play nicely, boys and girls. Better yet, go sailing.
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
500: Lagoon 500 Nearly Sunk Erik C Lagoon Catamarans 216 28-10-2013 18:47
For Sale: Balmar 100-Amp Alternator (Model 60-100-SR-IG) synchronicity98 Classifieds Archive 0 24-05-2013 18:34
Does the "100" in a "Masters 100 ton" mean anything? twistedtree Seamanship & Boat Handling 7 06-03-2013 19:14
Boat, Nearly New, Just Needs a Little Gelcoat Work ... ad_astra Off Topic Forum 4 29-08-2009 13:21
Nearly Lost Rig! Damage to Forestay from Furler? Northeaster Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 14 25-05-2009 09:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.