Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2015, 14:03   #346

Re: Why Do Catamarans Motor Nearly 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I haven't been seasick for a while. The last time was in a gale off the canaries last November and it wasn't too bad as we hove to and relaxed through the worst of it. Maybe I'm acclimatising more to the motion of the ocean, but I'm still proactive to avoid it by keeping my head up, focusing on sailing and avoiding head down jobs like cooking or navigating as much as possible. Jen has moments of seasickness but they always seem to be the opposite timing of mine. We have some different seasick tablets on board as well as acupressure bands, but haven't felt the need to use them for over a year. The acupressure bands work well, but how much is a placebo effect I'm not sure. My mother used to press on the pressure point in my wrist when I was car sick as a kid and it seemed to work, so it's not a new age marketing ploy (maybe an old age one) Working hard to reef or deal with difficult situations also raises a sweat and brings on seasickness easier. Some say fear and trepidation are a major cause and once they are more comfortable with sailing and not trying to control every situation, the seasickness becomes less of a problem.
For me, sailing is much less likely to bring on seasickness than motoring or even lying a hull. Anticipating the motion of the boat helps a lot, so actively helming, or at least sitting at the helm under AP and knowing when the boat will lift or surf on a wave works best for me. That or laying down with eyes closed so there's no conflicting information between brain and eyes.
Good post Monte..avoiding greasy food is a good idea and always keep a full stomach as empty stomachs are much easier to upset.
Old 28-07-2015, 14:40   #347
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Good post Monte..avoiding greasy food is a good idea and always keep a full stomach as empty stomachs are much easier to upset.
Never tried the full stomach method. I hadn't eaten anything when I was hit by unexpected sea sickness the other day. Dry heaves on an empty stomach is terrible, then I couldn't even keep sips of water down for ten hours. First time in four years, the situation reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's long stretch of not throwing up was interrupted by eating the white and black cookie that someone sneezed on.

Old 28-07-2015, 14:46   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gary,

I have spoken to quite a few multihull owners other than yourself, and they universally say (the five that we know) that they avoid bad weather at all cost. My friend Peter who lives on his Lagoon 450, says he plans to sell the Cat and go back to living on a monohull before any more ocean crossings. He's only done one on the Lagoon across the Bay of Biscay and on down to the Med. he says that was enough to convince him not to take it to the Caribbean. That doesn't mean others shouldn't do the same, it's done all the time. It just means to him and me that he doesn't have the same confidence in the Lagoon as he had in his previous Tayana 52 he owned for 12 years.

I would like you or a Multihull owner to try and explain how an object which is about as aerodynamic and hydrodynamic as a shoebox, can cut through 6 meter seas and 40 knot winds as well as a monohull can? I realize that a much larger cat can ride somewhat above the turbulence, but how does a 38ft cat allow you make coffee and have a pleasant lunch in those conditions? I don't believe a 38ft Cat can even make headway directly into the wind and waves in those conditions. We could only manage 3-4 knots during the worst of it and were surprised to be able to do that.

We would still consider a Sunreef 60 or even a 50ft trawler someday, but for right now, we'll have to make due with what we have.
You do realise that the hulls are actually boat shaped right? And in fact the bluntest fattest catamaran will have finer, more hydrodynamic hulls than the vast majority of monohulls. Very few cat's will have LWL:BWL ratios worse than 10:1. A lot of mono's are closer to 3:1.

Anyway, we've motored into 35 gusting 40. Wasn't fun, but we went forwards.

You can choose to believe whatever makes you happy.

Facts may be different though.
Old 28-07-2015, 15:01   #349

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Canned peaches - lots of quick energy and they taste good coming back up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-07-2015, 15:20   #350

Quote:
Personally, I just can't figure out how a rectangular object with significant windage can punch holes through waves and wind better than a pointed object. Please tell us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Please consider the following pictures of a Hans Christian monohull (a desired "BWB") and a similar length Schionning catamaran (a desired cruising cat). Tell us about their relative windage and ability to punch holes through waves.
You made the sweeping generalization that catamarans are shoe boxes with high windage compared to ocean-going monohulls.

You conveniently refuse to address the question I asked of you above.

Maybe you need to actually see the bows of boats. Attached is a picture of the bows of a different cruising cat (in case you think I only have one example), along with a picture of the bow of what I think is your boat model.

Do you see where your logic and reasoning has failed yet? It is obvious you do not know that catamaran hulls are boat-shaped, and quite efficiently at that.

I also see why someone used to a fat-entry bow with high beam forward thinks one needs to punch holes through waves to get anywhere. That picture of an O53 shows water on deck and being pushed out like from a barge in flat seas and moderate wind.

And if you have a similar dinghy high in davits and a dodger/bimini and are still talking smack about windage - well….

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W1480.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	106275   Click image for larger version

Name:	oyost05-2634.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	106276  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-07-2015, 15:29   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Anyway, we've motored into 35 gusting 40. Wasn't fun, but we went forwards.
That is because being a catamaran, you cannot sail.

But I wanted to point out something you didn't mention about you motoring into 35kt winds - you do that with only modest-sized outboards.

Mark

Old 28-07-2015, 15:30   #352
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
That is because being a catamaran, you cannot sail.

But I wanted to point out something you didn't mention about you motoring into 35kt winds - you do that with only modest-sized outboards.

Mark
Oh crap! I told someone that he was rowing.

Old 28-07-2015, 15:33   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Oh crap! I told someone that he was rowing.

The other advantage of outboards on a catamaran is that nobody can see that you are motoring.

It's the only way 44C gets other people thinking he is sailing at all.

Mark

Old 28-07-2015, 15:36   #354
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The other advantage of outboards on a catamaran is that nobody can see that you are motoring.

It's the only way 44C gets other people thinking he is sailing at all.

Mark
Given the price differential in diesel engines, the drag of the prop and replacement costs, Im surprised more people do not use outboards. Can lift them out the water when not in use and take them off to fix when a snag arises.
Im not a lover of the smell of diesel so petrol is ok with me.
Old 28-07-2015, 15:42   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Im surprised more people do not use outboards.
Most people don't build their own boats. Removing existing diesels and retrofitting proper outboard wells is beyond what most want to do with a production boat.

We did recently see a Privilege 43 who had mounted 100hp outboards to the back of each transom. They screamed into an anchorage at ~15kts with the bows 45* in the air and throwing a pipeline-quality wake that would be the envy of any surfer.

I don't think most people want to do that either.

Mark

Old 28-07-2015, 15:56   #356

Quote:
Never tried the full stomach method. I hadn't eaten anything when I was hit by unexpected sea sickness the other day. Dry heaves on an empty stomach is terrible, then I couldn't even keep sips of water down for ten hours. First time in four years, the situation reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's long stretch of not throwing up was interrupted by eating the white and black cookie that someone sneezed on.

Doesn't surprise me you got sick on an empty stomach. I taught aerobatics for many years and I made damn sure first time students arrived with a proper meal in them.
Old 28-07-2015, 16:03   #357

Quote:
Canned peaches - lots of quick energy and they taste good coming back up.

Mark
THAT is hilarious!
Old 28-07-2015, 16:37   #358
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Good point on the food. Sailing after a night on the red wine doesn't help either, but kind of impossible to avoid in the med. as far as heaving, some guys I've sailed with just throw up once and are good to go, others like me, once started its all downhill from there so I really try not to let it get that far..
Old 28-07-2015, 17:48   #359
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From a medical perspective, everything and nothing works. For me, a full stomach if queasy will bring on an attack of the chunders. I avoid spicy food until got the sealegs, and for the first days in the rough weather will eat fairly dry food, crackers and veg or a small piece cheese or veg.

You have to find what works for you. Acupressure is extremely effective for a lot of people. A piece of ginger works wonders too, and some have to resort to the drugs. Sometimes a sip of wine or Brandy will stop it whereas a glass of the stuff will see you evacuating your toes through your mouth.

Good luck.
Old 28-07-2015, 18:18   #360

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

This may have been mentioned already, I haven't read the entire thread. One reason bare boat charterers of cats may motor more is that charter cats generally have inadequate solar and we (I am a bareboat charterer) are told to run the engine at least 2 hours a day to keep the batteries charged. This is my biggest complaint about bareboating. I hate getting up in the morning and starting the engine to let it idle, knowing that it is bad on the engines, not to mention disrupting the morning peace and quiet. So, I motor sail for at least two hours during the day. The other issue is that many cats that should have electric winches for the main sail don't. Put those two together and you might as well motor if you are only going 10 miles or so.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, motor